Immersive Overnight sailings?

gcorgain

One of the advantages to me of a cruise is not having to pack and move every day. One of the disadvantages is that it is so short a time -- When I spend a few days somewhere I have the opportunity to see more of the location. Some days one day is enough to see most of what is there but many destinations have a lot to offer. And without having to rush back to a ship you can have a more leisurely excursion. 

I understand that many of you have been cruising for years and gone back to the same place multiple times so over time you have seen more of the area. 

I think it is a difficult thankless job to figure out the itineraries and how long to stay in a port. I personally welcome multiple nights in a port BUT I think that needs to be disclosed before you book so that you can decide if it is a good fit for you. Changing the itinerary after people have booked them is not a fair way to do business. 

• Like 5

I think I would like this type of cruise in some cases, and not in others. In our case it looks like we have a choice, as the original itinerary is available at the same price a few weeks later. I'm trying to learn more about the evening options to make an informed decision. Also, my other half is leaning to staying on this cruise, and I would probably rather move. So it will likely be a "negotiation". 🙂

The problem I have with these changes, is why not make them when you release new sailings? It would eliminate the inevitable customer support issues with major changes.

• Like 2

We are also booked on the March 5th departure. It is very disappointing as we booked this Japan cruise only to find out that most of our Japanese ports have now been deleted. I can accept that cruise lines can make minor changes to a published itinerary but these changes are so significant that it is now a totally different cruise. We will be asking for our money back.

9 hours ago, gcorgain said:

The problem I have with these changes, is why not make them when you release new sailings?

Cruise lines don't randomly change itineraries, there is always a reason for any change.  I don't know the reason for the immersive cruises, but it seems that the introduction is far enough out in the future that people can cancel if they wish.  I am mixed about it.  I would like more overnights but not so many that I don't see enough ports.  We love to see the area but also enjoy the local culture and port.  So having a leisurely area tour with still enough time to go into town sounds good.  It provides the option of  more than one tour in each port as well.  And if the port is too industrial and I don't want to go into town, well enjoying a relaxed evening on board is just as good in port as at sea.  

Having said that, I will look closely at these cruises to make sure I'm interested in the lesser number of ports vs. other cruises or cruise lines.  Options.... nice to. have. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2023 at 11:36 PM, CardowMD said:

Beware, I just discovered that 2 cruises I had gotten quotes on yesterday, Voyager Oct 27-Nov 6 , 2024 got changed today from Istanbul, Dikli, Athens, Kusadasi, Messina, Naples, Rome, Corsica, Marseille, ending in  Barcelona to Istanbul overnight, 2sea days, Rome overnight, 1 sea day, Marseille overnight, Barcelona overnight. All very industrial ports. I have been to these ports several times , done most of the tours, and since it gets dark at 5pm don’t want to go wandering around these ports by myself at night.

The second cruise, Navigator Nov 15-22, Rome to Barcelona, deleted La Spezia, Cannes, Mallorca, Palamos, changed to Rome overnight, Livorno overnight, Toulon Overnight, Barcelona overnight.

RSSC saves a ton of $ by not having to move around and expecting people to eat all their meals off the ship. Would be much different if Overnight was in Cannes or smaller port where restaurants were walking distance from port.

So far the Navigator Nov 5-15, Istanbul to Rome seems to have retained its stops. When I am paying for luxury cruise, including tours, want the opportunity to visit different places. Unless this gets changed tonight, will pay my deposit on this one.

My TA on Grandeur now, hopefully back tomorrow so I can find out what is going on.

Carole

Are you sure about the Voyager Istanbul to Barcelona cruise on 27th October 2024 has changed in the way you describe. I have had no notification from my travel agent of any change and the UK Regent website is still showing the original itinerary.

12 hours ago, CardowMD said:

It looks like they totally changed back to original from what I got last Thursday…

Thank for this - reassuring.

The changed itinerary you were sent would not suit us. Three sea days in a 10 day cruise would be too much and the appeal of this cruise was the variety of locations and countries. We have been to almost all these places, but it is always easy to find new parts to explore.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 6:36 PM, CardowMD said:

Beware, I just discovered that 2 cruises I had gotten quotes on yesterday, Voyager Oct 27-Nov 6 , 2024 got changed today from Istanbul, Dikli, Athens, Kusadasi, Messina, Naples, Rome, Corsica, Marseille, ending in  Barcelona to Istanbul overnight, 2sea days, Rome overnight, 1 sea day, Marseille overnight, Barcelona overnight. All very industrial ports. I have been to these ports several times , done most of the tours, and since it gets dark at 5pm don’t want to go wandering around these ports by myself at night.

The second cruise, Navigator Nov 15-22, Rome to Barcelona, deleted La Spezia, Cannes, Mallorca, Palamos, changed to Rome overnight, Livorno overnight, Toulon Overnight, Barcelona overnight.

RSSC saves a ton of $ by not having to move around and expecting people to eat all their meals off the ship. Would be much different if Overnight was in Cannes or smaller port where restaurants were walking distance from port.

So far the Navigator Nov 5-15, Istanbul to Rome seems to have retained its stops. When I am paying for luxury cruise, including tours, want the opportunity to visit different places. Unless this gets changed tonight, will pay my deposit on this one.

My TA on Grandeur now, hopefully back tomorrow so I can find out what is going on.

Carole

This is the exact cruise we have booked as our first cruise with Regent. We were so excited about the ports, and now I feel like 'bait and switch' here! We just got the emailed notice yesterday and immediately called the number listed. It took me to a dedicate Cust Rep who could confirm the change and apologized - could get nothing else from her! I will contact my TA after the holidays - I think they took a page from the gov't when they want to announce bad news - right before a holiday!

This new itinerary is definitely NOT something we would book. Just not interested in floating around the Med for 3 days and losing 5 ports: Athens, Ephesus, Naples, Corsica, Marseille - really??

They offer a similar itinerary later, but now it's going to be even colder, wetter and more $$...

If they want to try this new program out, let them announce it in a marketing blast rather than hijack and completely change the trip we purchased!

We will definitely cancel if not switched back....so very disappointed in how Regent is treating their 'luxury traveler'!!

Looking forward to any updates on this thread :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dzine4Me said:

This is the exact cruise we have booked as our first cruise with Regent. We were so excited about the ports, and now I feel like 'bait and switch' here! We just got the emailed notice yesterday and immediately called the number listed. It took me to a dedicate Cust Rep who could confirm the change and apologized - could get nothing else from her! I will contact my TA after the holidays - I think they took a page from the gov't when they want to announce bad news - right before a holiday!

This new itinerary is definitely NOT something we would book. Just not interested in floating around the Med for 3 days and losing 5 ports: Athens, Ephesus, Naples, Corsica, Marseille - really??

They offer a similar itinerary later, but now it's going to be even colder, wetter and more $$...

If they want to try this new program out, let them announce it in a marketing blast rather than hijack and completely change the trip we purchased!

We will definitely cancel if not switched back....so very disappointed in how Regent is treating their 'luxury traveler'!!

Looking forward to any updates on this thread 🙂

I have just checked My Account on the Regent website and this change is showing. This is intolerable. We also would not choose this itinerary as all the more interesting ports for us have gone - the remaining ports are places we have visited many times and 3 sea days out of 10 is too many.

If I find out more I will post again.

On 12/19/2023 at 10:06 AM, TheRampantSnail said:

Thank for this - reassuring.

The changed itinerary you were sent would not suit us. Three sea days in a 10 day cruise would be too much and the appeal of this cruise was the variety of locations and countries. We have been to almost all these places, but it is always easy to find new parts to explore.

If they changed it back, then why did I get the notification yesterday, 12/22/23, and the Agent confirmed it in my phone call last evening…

Just now, Dzine4Me said:

If they changed it back, then why did I get the notification yesterday, 12/22/23, and the Agent confirmed it in my phone call last evening…

See my recent post.

That earlier post was in response to a post where someone mentioned this change but when I said the original itinerary was still the same, they found it had changed back.

It seems Regent are playing the hokey-cokey - first the original iitinerary is is, then its out, then its in again and now its out again.

Dreadful customer service.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheRampantSnail said:

See my recent post.

That earlier post was in response to a post where someone mentioned this change but when I said the original itinerary was still the same, they found it had changed back.

It seems Regent are playing the hokey-cokey - first the original iitinerary is is, then its out, then its in again and now its out again.

Dreadful customer service.

Gosh! I sure do hope you’re right!!

The Voyager cruise is back to original itinerary of mostly different ports, with one sea day, or at least it was this morning, but Navigator 15-22 is showing the 4 overnights, originally this was a different port every day. 

I did book the Navigator Nov 5-15, which has a similar itinerary to the Voyager.