Compensation for cancelled port visit

Adriatic2024

On 12/23/2023 at 12:31 PM, Pushka said:

Not ocean but river cruise. Christmas on the Rhine. We missed five ports, had to ship swap (not uncommon) but that ship then did not move for three nights. Have heard nothing from Viking. It's been a week.  It was a known event before our cruise started. 

I think that you will find that Viking has no responsibility to you for this.  River levels are not controlled by Viking.

We are on the Rhine now and although we have not had to change ships, we have not docked where planned or anticipated because docks are under water.  We are docking a distance away and being bussed.

Not ocean but river cruise. Christmas on the Rhine. We missed five ports, had to ship swap (not uncommon) but that ship then did not move for three nights. Have heard nothing from Viking. It's been a week.  It was a known event before our cruise started. 

I think that you will find that Viking has no responsibility to you for this.  River levels are not controlled by Viking.

We are on the Rhine now and although we have not had to change ships, we have not docked where planned or anticipated because docks are under water.  We are docking a distance away and being bussed.

• Like 2

Edited by CDNPolar

Edited by CDNPolar

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Oh my.

19 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

$1,000 for missing a minor port due to weather?
That’s unbelievable!! 😳

Depending on the passengers spend, I would believe it. But, I've never been in sales or marketing.

But, if that guest is routinely booking $50k + in Viking product with me, I'd fight for them with my superiors.

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

There were some things that were under Vikings control that were not handled well at all. 

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

There were some things that were under Vikings control that were not handled well at all. 

Then write tellus@vikingcruises.com and tell them.  

Many people on my current cruise thing that me small challenges were under Viking’s control but they were not.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Then write tellus@vikingcruises.com and tell them.  

Many people on my current cruise thing that me small challenges were under Viking’s control but they were not.  

I have. Two weeks ago. Have had no response. 

Just now, Pushka said:

I have. Two weeks ago. Have had no response. 

That is disappointing because generally with that email address we get a call from an agent in about two to three days. 

I would haul up the previous sent item and resend with a request for a response. 

They may be figuring out how to respond too.  

My expectation is that there would be no compensation for such things as missing a port due to weather, just as no airline will comp for things beyond their control. We returned to JFK from BCN in ‘06, on a flight scheduled to take us to ORD. Weather in Chicago no good, so we had to bunk the night in NY- on our own dime.

We just came back from Viking's Panama Canal Cruise and missed Cozumel due to winds.  Got an email offering $250 future cruise voucher pp.  Was very surprised, have missed ports on other Viking/non-Viking cruises with no compensation.  

• Like 1