Suite/Retreat versus everything else

Bently57

We've cruised in suites before and loved the extra space in the room, but this was always on S Class, before E Class came out.  We really didn't know what to do with a butler and rarely asked anything of them.  But as I say, we liked the bigger room and access to Blu.

We went concierge this last cruise on the Ascent; the inaugural.  We enjoyed the four MDRs. I don't regret anything EXCEPT the lack of access to the front of the ship, which is for Suites (the retreat) and the Aqua Spa (for aqua class).  Being in concierge, we had NO access to the front of the ship, which I always enjoy...and I didn't realize it would be this way when we booked Concierge. And then, in addition to the lack of a proper promenade deck, it made the ship feel smaller, because the Retreat takes up so much space at the front.

I don't know if now it is similar on S-Class if you're not Aqua or Suite, but for our 2025 cruise on the Beyond (E Class), we booked Aqua....so we can at least use the Aqua Spa for the front of the ship (Unless there are some kinds of changes I don't know about).

We still loved our cruise on the Ascent.  I mean, we booked the Beyond so that's self evident.  Still love S Class too.  It's just unfortunate that if you're not Aqua or higher, you can't get to the front of the ship.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

23 minutes ago, Bently57 said:

We've cruised in suites before and loved the extra space in the room, but this was always on S Class, before E Class came out.  We really didn't know what to do with a butler and rarely asked anything of them.  But as I say, we liked the bigger room and access to Blu.

We went concierge this last cruise on the Ascent; the inaugural.  We enjoyed the four MDRs. I don't regret anything EXCEPT the lack of access to the front of the ship, which is for Suites (the retreat) and the Aqua Spa (for aqua class).  Being in concierge, we had NO access to the front of the ship, which I always enjoy...and I didn't realize it would be this way when we booked Concierge. And then, in addition to the lack of a proper promenade deck, it made the ship feel smaller, because the Retreat takes up so much space at the front.

I don't know if now it is similar on S-Class if you're not Aqua or Suite, but for our 2025 cruise on the Beyond (E Class), we booked Aqua....so we can at least use the Aqua Spa for the front of the ship (Unless there are some kinds of changes I don't know about).

We still loved our cruise on the Ascent.  I mean, we booked the Beyond so that's self evident.  Still love S Class too.  It's just unfortunate that if you're not Aqua or higher, you can't get to the front of the ship.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

If you check the deck plans for SClass ships you will see there is a Sky Lounge for the minions 😁

IMG_6608.thumb.webp.eec474353e2e43c6213ebe14b5f544ae.webp

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bently57 said:

Unless you book an Aqua Sky Suite you will not have access on the E Class ships to the Retreat Lounge, Luminae and sun Deck at the front of the ship.  Standard Aqua Class gets you access to some of the spa and Blu, the Aqua Class dining venue. It is very confusing between Aqua Class and Aqua Sky Suite class. In any SS you won't have to worry about what to do with a butler as they were taken away earlier this year for SS, now you have a Butler Team who never leave the Retreat lounge area. BTW Aqua Sky Suites cost 15-20% more than standard Sky Suites and unless you need the spa access it is a waste of money, IMO.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Unless you book an Aqua Sky Suite you will not have access on the E Class ships to the Retreat Lounge, Luminae and sun Deck at the front of the ship.  Standard Aqua Class gets you access to some of the spa and Blu, the Aqua Class dining venue. It is very confusing between Aqua Class and Aqua Sky Suite class. In any SS you won't have to worry about what to do with a butler as they were taken away earlier this year for SS, now you have a Butler Team who never leave the Retreat lounge area. BTW Aqua Sky Suites cost 15-20% more than standard Sky Suites and unless you need the spa access it is a waste of money, IMO.

Yes, agreed and understood about the Retreat, Luminae and Sun Deck.  We do like access to the outdoor space in front of the ship, just outside the spa...and have been told we get to use that with Aqua class on the E ships.  I'm not sure what parts of the actual spa we get to use, because our tour guide said it was ALL included with Standard Aqua Class.  Perhaps that is wrong.  It's immaterial because I am only really interested in the Thermal lounges and that small area outside.  Plus, we do like Blu.  We're not doing a suite this time; standard or aqua.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulh84 said:

I can't imagine spending any amount of time on the empty outside area in front of the Thermal Suite on E class. There is no seating (except for maybe one art piece you can sit on), no shade and it's incredibly windy. 

We saw deck chairs there on the Ascent when we visited the spa.  

30 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I do not recall and seating on the Apex, just a door to the outside deck.

Maybe as you say, it’s too windy to spend much time there, but on a port day it would be nice. Also, someone just posted a photo of the deck on another thread, and there are definitely loungers. 

We loved the Apex suite class.  We truly enjoyed the suite lounge and sun deck.  Luminae was great!  While expensive the service and perks truly make a good vacation an excellent vacation.    Loved the ship and service.  s and m class also great but e class suites and amenities wonderful 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bently57 said:

We saw deck chairs there on the Ascent when we visited the spa.  

Unless this is a new thing and they are pulling out chairs daily...I've never seen seating in this area on E Class ships. None of these new videos show seating either. By the one lady's dress blowing you can see how windy it is even when the ship is in port. 

10 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Unless this is a new thing and they are pulling out chairs daily...I've never seen seating in this area on E Class ships. None of these new videos show seating either. By the one lady's dress blowing you can see how windy it is even when the ship is in port. 

Well I won’t argue what their normal procedure is cause I don’t know. I DO know I saw them there when we toured the spa on our last sea day, Dec 9th. A passenger was using one. There was an empty one next to him. I assumed they were there all the time. Perhaps not. But I didn’t dream it.