Upgrade from Q4 to Q2

e&mcruise

Hello to the Cunarders,

Just received an upgrade email for our upcoming 5 day QE2 voyage. We are currently in a Penthouse (Q4) but have been offered a Q2 (or Q1) to bid on for an upgrade. We don't like the location or layout of the Q1s but wanted any advice as to whether it is worth bidding for a Q2 upgrade? Can any regulars who have stayed in both give us any tips? Has anyone successfully bid and won? Would be about 50% extra cost but we would get a 100% more space.....other than that I can't see what the benefit would be.

Thanks in advance.

Your upgrade options

Grand Suite (Q1)

Grand Suite (Q1)
Queen Elizabeth’s most exclusive suite has been designed to the highest standard of luxury and epitomises the ultimate in refined accommodation.

Minimum offer $2,085 AUD pp

All staterooms »

Master Suite (Q2)

Master Suite (Q2)
Retreat to an exclusive world of luxury with your own private residence at sea.

Minimum offer $1,515 AUD pp

17 minutes ago, s.s.France said:

These are fantastic spaces to stay in. If its worth the price for you, is your decision...

Thanks so much. Realise they are both fantastic spaces but my question is differences (other than size) of a Q4 to a Q2 experience and successful upgrade bid experiences.

OK, as one with experience of most QG grades I would say the 1s on QE aren't a patch on the refurbished ones on QV. The 2s are the same as QVs

We book 1s or 2s depending on the itinerary. I would say bouncing up and down across oceans in any aft cabin wouldn't be my idea of fun.

Are they worth it? Difficult to answer that as we book for the space. The 2s [both QE/QV] aren't elegant spaces like the 1s on QV but they are very comfortable and if you spend quite a lot of time in the cabin then yes, go for it. If you don't, but would still like the experience, then put in a low offer on a que sera sera basis.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

We book 1s or 2s depending on the itinerary. I would say bouncing up and down across oceans in any aft cabin wouldn't be my idea of fun.

Many thanks, most helpful. Are the Q1s not Aft on QV as they all appear to be on QE? We too are not fans of aft cabins after booking an Owners cabin on another line that was similarly positioned at the rear of the ship. Don't really understand the layout for the Q1s.....dining table and bath have no view but do in Q2s from what I can tell.

The Q2 on QV both the dining room and bath area have sea views. Wonderful suites with fantastic amount of space but if you don't spend a lot of time in your suite, like us, perhaps not worth the money. Service out of the suite is exactly the same in Q2 & Q4 so it's up to you whether you think it's worth the extra money. Personally I don't and would save my money and stay in Q4.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

Many thanks, most helpful. Are the Q1s not Aft on QV as they all appear to be on QE? We too are not fans of aft cabins after booking an Owners cabin on another line that was similarly positioned at the rear of the ship. Don't really understand the layout for the Q1s.....dining table and bath have no view but do in Q2s from what I can tell.

The QV 1s are aft and are elegant and beautiful with floor to ceiling windows and doors. QE's 1s too have floor to ceiling double doors and are spacious and comfortable  but aren't a patch on QVs as far as elegance and facilities are concerned.

No view for either 1s dining tables, the 2s have a sort of view but it's not as if you can sit down to dine and easily see outside. A bit of neck straining would be involved. The 2s have a ridiculously large bathroom space [should have been utilised for a second shower room and loo] as far as I'm concerned and yes, the corner bath has a window should you want to look out.

Whereas you can sit in a comfy chair and stare out to sea or whatever in both styles of 1s, you can't as easily in the 2s on both ships.

If space isn't the issue, then I'd stick to the Penthouse. The only possible slight advantage service wise is if you want breakfast in room, we find the 1s and 2s  get the appointed time on the dot and you can hold great parties in all that space.

My relatively limited experience, for what it's worth...

We enjoyed the Q2 on QE. Loved the mid-ship location and the space within. The only thing we didn't like was the lack of a second WC - crazy with all that space that there isn't one in our opinion. We spend a lot of time in our suite/room/cabin (whatever you like to call it!!) so it's very nice to have the space, but as others and you have said, if you don't spend a lot of time in it then perhaps there's not a huge advantage for the additional $$ it costs. 

Whichever option you choose, hope you have a fabulous time.

Based on YouTube videos (not first hand experience) the Q4 Penthouses on QE seem to have only have a smallish two-seater couch/loveseat and no adjoining armchair while the 1’s and 2’s have a full sized sofa and armchairs around a bigger coffee table plus a dining area. 

I really appreciated the full sized sofa and comfy chair in PG on QM2 and even PG on QE offer a fuller sized sofa and armchair. To me, the QE Q4’s don’t offer much value in the living area and room service dining area and are not worth the premium. 
If you like to spend more time in the suite, I’d bid on the Q1/2 upgrade and enjoy a real living and dining room areas.  Again, I only have PG experience not QG.