How does the kids club work? First time cruising with the young'ins.

Don_In_AZ

So I will be cruising with my daughter and son-in-law (both first time cruisers) and my two grandaughters ( 8 and 9 years old).  I'm not sure what the SOP is for the kids club onboard.  Does a parent need to accompany them in the kids club or is it meant to be supervised so that you can drop them off and pick them up?  Are you allowed to leave the ship?  How are you contacted if need be?  Do they get to do activities outside the actual kids club area (i.e. mini golf, or ball sports, etc...)
When we went to Hawaii on HAL, there were only about 10 kids on the whole ship and the crew dedicated to the kids program kept them all busy morning to night, allowing the adults to kind of do their own thing.   Occasionally, we'd even see them parading around the ship (mambo train style) wearing whatever self made attire (pirate hats, etc) they had crafted that day.  

Any info is appreciated.

Edited by Don_In_AZ

1 hour ago, Don_In_AZ said:

So I will be cruising with my daughter and son-in-law (both first time cruisers) and my two grandaughters ( 8 and 9 years old).  I'm not sure what the SOP is for the kids club onboard.  Does a parent need to accompany them in the kids club or is it meant to be supervised so that you can drop them off and pick them up?  Are you allowed to leave the ship?  How are you contacted if need be?  Do they get to do activities outside the actual kids club area (i.e. mini golf, or ball sports, etc...)
When we went to Hawaii on HAL, there were only about 10 kids on the whole ship and the crew dedicated to the kids program kept them all busy morning to night, allowing the adults to kind of do their own thing.   Occasionally, we'd even see them parading around the ship (mambo train style) wearing whatever self made attire (pirate hats, etc) they had crafted that day.  

Any info is appreciated.

Pre register for the kids club on the app. 

Parent signs them in and signs them out, with a picture ID. Even if they run to you and you don't have your ID, you need to go and get it. 

Depending on the ship, they have their own outdoor secure area. 

Yes, you can leave the ship with them in the club, but they are sometimes closed at lunch (mostly during sea days), and close I believe at 10pm (times may vary due to ship/voyage).

Encourage them to go on the first night of programming to make additional friends. 

There's also special signups for cake making, which is great fun for the kids. Ours were also given nice quality Princess aprons and Princess chef's hats. 

Additionally, if it's a holiday sailing, there will be an afternoon of games, crafts and activities in the Piazza, all for the kids. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

Signing in and out is by any adult  the parents have nominated e.g. grandmother, aunts etc. The ID is now generally your medallion which shows the encaptured photo on their monitor. Some age groups are allowed to self sign in/out and parents can authorise/deny this facility. When the club reaches the final hour and additional hour can be enjoyed in the club but a small fee applies as does being late collecting after closing time. The age at sailing is the relevant age and strict adherence is normally applied so 8 and 9 years old children might end up in separate groups.

Regards John

1 hour ago, john watson said:

Signing in and out is by any adult  the parents have nominated e.g. grandmother, aunts etc. The ID is now generally your medallion which shows the encaptured photo on their monitor. Some age groups are allowed to self sign in/out and parents can authorise/deny this facility. When the club reaches the final hour and additional hour can be enjoyed in the club but a small fee applies as does being late collecting after closing time. The age at sailing is the relevant age and strict adherence is normally applied so 8 and 9 years old children might end up in separate groups.

Regards John

8 and 9 are never in separate groups. Where did you pull this information from?

Yes, Startedwithout a mouse current group is 8 to 12 years. I was working from memory apologies for that. I might add that self-signing priveleges tend to be cancelled on port days with a lock in and children taken to lunch etc. if required.

Regards John

• Haha 1

I've never travelled with kids, so I have no first-hand knowledge.  On a recent cruise (Celebrity, Princess or Carnival), there was an area of the buffet (food selection) reserved for the kids (lunchtime) and several tables reserved for them.  I thought that worked well for the kids.

Just now, Mike45LC said:

I've never travelled with kids, so I have no first-hand knowledge.  On a recent cruise (Celebrity, Princess or Carnival), there was an area of the buffet (food selection) reserved for the kids (lunchtime) and several tables reserved for them.  I thought that worked well for the kids.

Yes, a number of cruise lines offer a dedicated area in the buffet at a set time for afternoon tea.  This is mainly for parents who wish to feed the children then put then into the Childrens Clubs.  Parents can more easily dine in  the Main Dining Rooms without children.

Regards John

• Haha 1