Using a rollator on and off the cruise ship.

shadow 123

8 hours ago, Euby said:

The brand I bought was Oasispace.  I got it from Amazon, but they do have their own website.  The one I have is for larger people but they have several types. 
https://a.co/d/inKcYHV

https://www.oasisspace.com/

I have never had issues with my knees hitting the seat and I have a decent stride.  Mine is the upright version so I never feel hunched over.  I found it to be very stable even in rougher seas. 

I would be concerned about using the Able due to the wheels being so small.  If you plan on getting off the ship and exploring (even if it is a port market), the cobblestones or uneven surfaces would wreak havoc.

You can always visit a local Durable Medical Equipment store near you and see what they offer.  Even if it isn’t the same brands mentioned above, you can get a good idea of what style may be best suited to you. 

That's the 1 I'm looking at now on Amazon. The 1 for larger  people. Thanks again for the advice

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have some information that might help some of you.  As I have posted before, my Drive rollator has been a wonderful helper for me both on cruise ships and at home.  It folds up from the center--SIDEWAYS--so that it can get through very narrow spaces, on its wheels without having to lift it.  I made a tray that fits on the seat because the seat is not flat enough to hold dinnerware.  It is very light and you can carry it easily when you have to fold the rollator.  Here are some pictures showing its use when going to the buffet to hold food and drink, and also to even hold tools at home when I needed to build a quilt cabinet for my wife.  Pull the handle up to fold it.

image.png

4D7B79B0-AAE7-479C-96FB-368E2B412F44_1_105_c.jpeg

A4154E65-1BC8-4D81-BA57-DFF2CA53B4E9_1_105_c.jpeg

215ED6EA-E69E-4418-B33A-D0D8B5290FCB_1_105_c.jpeg

262F06D4-EAF8-4B06-9E00-CD5E0164293F_1_105_c.jpeg

10 hours ago, GoHuskies! said:

I have some information that might help some of you.  As I have posted before, my Drive rollator has been a wonderful helper for me both on cruise ships and at home.  It folds up from the center--SIDEWAYS--so that it can get through very narrow spaces, on its wheels without having to lift it.  I made a tray that fits on the seat because the seat is not flat enough to hold dinnerware.  It is very light and you can carry it easily when you have to fold the rollator.  Here are some pictures showing its use when going to the buffet to hold food and drink, and also to even hold tools at home when I needed to build a quilt cabinet for my wife.  Pull the handle up to fold it.

image.png

4D7B79B0-AAE7-479C-96FB-368E2B412F44_1_105_c.jpeg

A4154E65-1BC8-4D81-BA57-DFF2CA53B4E9_1_105_c.jpeg

215ED6EA-E69E-4418-B33A-D0D8B5290FCB_1_105_c.jpeg

262F06D4-EAF8-4B06-9E00-CD5E0164293F_1_105_c.jpeg

Nice job

Posted (edited)

We use a Drive rollater/transport chair when we travel (purchased from Amazon). There are mixed reviews on this product but it has worked well for us. My husband uses it as a walker most times but if he becomes fatigued, I can push him. It must be used cautiously as a wheelchair due to the weight distribution so it may not be for everyone. When we cruise, we do book an accessible cabin and rent a scooter. I can confirm that all the accessible cabins we have had on celebrity do have automatic doors. 

Shore excursions and venturing off the ship can be tricky. We recently flew to Barcelona for a transatlantic cruise. I used disabled accessible travel for a couple excursions. They were expensive but we were very happy with them. Every port we were docked. There were always staff to help him get the scooter down the ramp. It was a challenge to get specific information on ports regarding accessibility. Both Cartagena, Spain and the naval yard in Bermuda were easy off and very accessible. 

Edited by cinderellen
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, cinderellen said:

We use a Drive rollater/transport chair when we travel (purchased from Amazon). There are mixed reviews on this product but it has worked well for us. My husband uses it as a walker most times but if he becomes fatigued, I can push him. It must be used cautiously as a wheelchair due to the weight distribution so it may not be for everyone. When we cruise, we do book an accessible cabin and rent a scooter. I can confirm that all the accessible cabins we have had on celebrity do have automatic doors. 

Shore excursions and venturing off the ship can be tricky. We recently flew to Barcelona for a transatlantic cruise. I used disabled accessible travel for a couple excursions. They were expensive but we were very happy with them. Every port we were docked. There were always staff to help him get the scooter down the ramp. It was a challenge to get specific information on ports regarding accessibility. Both Cartagena, Spain and the naval yard in Bermuda were easy off and very accessible. 

I would never use my rollator as a rolling wheelchair; the rider sits backwards nearly over the front wheels and if you hit just a small pebble or bump, you might find him falling on his back.  It does fine for sitting, though.  Put the brakes on and it's a good stationary chair.

3 hours ago, GoHuskies! said:

I would never use my rollator as a rolling wheelchair; the rider sits backwards nearly over the front wheels and if you hit just a small pebble or bump, you might find him falling on his back.  It does fine for sitting, though.  Put the brakes on and it's a good stationary chair.

The drive product we have is a duet. It is intended to be both a rollator and a transport chair.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 5:42 AM, Euby said:

@shadow 123

I'm also a solo traveler and have learned a few things.  Initially, I rented a rollator to use on a cruise.  It did not go well for me.  In order to get it into the cabin, I had to fold it up and manhandle it into the room.  This was due to how it was designed.  The hinge made it fold like a sandwich board.  Once folded, there was no way for it to roll.  Also, by the end of the day, my shoulders were killing me.

I have since purchased my own rollator for use on cruises.  It is an upright one.  The design allows me to fold it and still be able to roll it.  Comes in handy when maneuvering in some port shops that have small aisles.  I have used the seat to carry various things on the cruise and in the airport.  I also travel with my own doorstop that goes over the hinges of the door.  This is much easier that using the usual one that you have to put on the floor.  I don't bend well.

61Fbin4KqfL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

61jpTPzrm6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

In regards to shore excursions, I suggest contacting the Excursions office of the cruise line that you will be using.  I did this on a previous cruise, and they were very helpful in letting me know which excursions could accommodate the rollator.  

I know you posted this about a month ago but I just got around to buying this wedge  on Amazon that you pictured here. I have a question. How do use it?  I got it but it didn't come with any instructions. Mine is exactly the same as yours, even the color. Thought you could help. Thanks

16 hours ago, shadow 123 said:

I know you posted this about a month ago but I just got around to buying this wedge  on Amazon that you pictured here. I have a question. How do use it?  I got it but it didn't come with any instructions. Mine is exactly the same as yours, even the color. Thought you could help. Thanks

Look here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL_3Hb9ghjA