Visa for China

Fletcher

I am thinking of taking a Silversea cruise in Asia and wondering about the Chinese visa.  To be honest, I’m a bit confused. I read that people aged over 70 can apply online but the official Chinese visa service website makes no mention of this and says everyone must attend a visa centre in person so their fingerprints can be taken.  The application form looks as fiddly as India.

As China is a fairly common port of call (my cruise would call at Xiamen and Shanghai), I wonder if any UK citizens on here can tell me about their experience obtaining the visa.

I know Americans like to be helpful but this is just for UK readers.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

We are having 6 days in China pre cruise in March. We have comprehensively looked into this - there’s a 144 hour visa free transit which unfortunately we can’t use because we are visiting 2 provinces. So we have spent a good few hours - that included doing our photos - completing the on line application form. Which we now have to take to Edinburgh for our visa ‘interview’ and then go back a few days later to collect. We wish we hadn’t bothered with the China part and just gone straight to Hong Kong to be honest. Can do without the stress. 
However, if you are just visiting on a cruise I’m sure the requirements are different. 

@HPfoodie Fellow Brits here…..I suspect we are on the same cruise. We were hoping to get away with the Transit Visa Exemption but it seems not. Have you had your interview yet?  Would be interested to know how much it cost and how long it took - thanks 🙂

We had the experience of waiting in a long queue for Indian visas and a few people were turned away for not having right paperwork & wrong sized photographs!

For those not taking extended or overnight land tours, just the day visits, I am beginning to think a proper Chinese visa may not be necessary.  

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellemdee said:

We had the experience of waiting in a long queue for Indian visas

Slightly off topic but you no longer have to attend in person for an Indian visa - it can all be done online.

1 minute ago, david63 said:

Slightly off topic but you no longer have to attend in person for an Indian visa - it can all be done online.

Yes that’s correct about Indian visas now - I meant in the context of will we have to jump through hoops for the Chinese visa 🙂

18 hours ago, Ellemdee said:

@HPfoodie Fellow Brits here…..I suspect we are on the same cruise. We were hoping to get away with the Transit Visa Exemption but it seems not. Have you had your interview yet?  Would be interested to know how much it cost and how long it took - thanks 🙂

We had the experience of waiting in a long queue for Indian visas and a few people were turned away for not having right paperwork & wrong sized photographs!

Our cruise departs HK 14/3. We haven’t been for our visa yet as we need our passports in the next couple of weeks. Will let you know how it goes though. 

Hi Fletcher, I have a cruise booked where the first port of call in Mainland China is Shanghai. It clearly says on my invoice that SS will obtain a 15 day visa-free for all nationalities on board providing they do not travel on an overland, i.e. leaving the ship for several days. Guests must book a SS excursion to benefit from this visa allowance. I am travelling on an Aussie passport.

Cheers

Jennifer

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, HPfoodie said:

Our cruise departs HK 14/3. We haven’t been for our visa yet as we need our passports in the next couple of weeks. Will let you know how it goes though. 

Yes, same cruise & probs same land tour - Beijing & Xi’an ?

We’re also aiming for getting our visas in early Feb. 
See you in China 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@HPfoodie We went to the London office today with all our paperwork, or so we thought - We needed copies of our passports too, along with copies of flight e-tickets and hotel stays, so a phone call to Imagine Cruising to provide the info and on to Rymans to print and we were all set.

From getting our ticket (a bit like the deli counter), digital photos and fingerprints taken, to payment took about 2hrs 30

£130 each and we can pick up on Tues if all is well 🤞

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 7:29 AM, ging466 said:

Hi Fletcher, I have a cruise booked where the first port of call in Mainland China is Shanghai. It clearly says on my invoice that SS will obtain a 15 day visa-free for all nationalities on board providing they do not travel on an overland, i.e. leaving the ship for several days. Guests must book a SS excursion to benefit from this visa allowance. I am travelling on an Aussie passport.

Cheers

Jennifer

I'm told by Silversea that, as you say, you get a transit visa on arrival for Shanghai.  However, an excursion outside the city requires a proper visa, as does any other port such as Xiamen where our cruise will stop.  You have the choice of going ashore with visa or staying on the ship.

I'm also advised by an 'old China hand' that people over the age of 70 do not need to visit a consulate since their fingers are deemed to lack clear prints.  Anyone confirm this?

Edited by Fletcher

53 minutes ago, Ellemdee said:

@HPfoodie We went to the London office today with all our paperwork, or so we thought - We needed copies of our passports too, along with copies of flight e-tickets and hotel stays, so a phone call to Imagine Cruising to provide the info and on to Rymans to print and we were all set.

From getting our ticket (a bit like the deli counter), digital photos and fingerprints taken, to payment took about 2hrs 30

Thanks for that info. We will contact Imagine for the detailed info. Not too long now. 

On 1/21/2024 at 3:29 PM, ging466 said:

Cheers

Jennifer

I was researching very carefully for next year’s World Cruise which calls only at Shanghai.  China now allows 144 hours visa-free transit at many cities, Shanghai being one of them, so I am not going to obtain a separate visa.  This is for most nationalities.  

It will be interesting to hear feedback, @Fletcher, exactly what your experience is with the two ports.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fletcher said:

However, an excursion outside the city requires a proper visa, as does any other port such as Xiamen where our cruise will stop.  You have the choice of going ashore with visa or staying on the ship.

Interesting...so does that mean if you choose an excursion that travels by bus away from Shanghai, you need a visa? That's not my idea of overland. However if that's the case, I'll just stay on the ship. Can't be bothered fluffing around with the Chinese Consulate trying to get a visa for a 7.5 hour excursion.

Cheers

Jennifer

21 hours ago, ging466 said:

Interesting...so does that mean if you choose an excursion that travels by bus away from Shanghai, you need a visa? That's not my idea of overland. However if that's the case, I'll just stay on the ship. Can't be bothered fluffing around with the Chinese Consulate trying to get a visa for a 7.5 hour excursion.

Cheers

Jennifer

According to the Silversea Destination person, she said Shanghai was OK without a visa but the excursion to the garden city of Suzhou wasn't.  Go figure.  I'm with @Port Power above and probably won't bother with getting a proper visa.  My cruise isn't until December so I have lots of time to change my mind.  And because my last three Silversea cruises have had major itinerary changes I'm fully expecting China to invade Taiwan.  

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Fletcher said:

According to the Silversea Destination person, she said Shanghai was OK without a visa but the excursion to the garden city of Suzhou wasn't.  Go figure.  I'm with @Port Power above and probably won't bother with getting a proper visa.  My cruise isn't until December so I have lots of time to change my mind.  And because my last three Silversea cruises have had major itinerary changes I'm fully expecting China to invade Taiwan.  

Same...my cruise is December. The excursion I've chosen for Shanghai is The Water Town of Zhujiajiao, 1.5 hours to get there by bus...if a visa required, won't bother. It would really be good if we could get some exact information.

Cheers

Jennifer

On 2/1/2024 at 3:13 PM, Ellemdee said:

@Ellemdeedid your pick up go to plan? Think we now have all the relevant paperwork, but have to wait a few days because it’s Chinese New Year (we’ve just come back from a break in the Canary Islands). 

@HPfoodie Yes all good, our visas are glued in so we’re all set 
Had to queue again though, but I didn’t need to attend this time.
You are given a receipt when you apply, which must be given back at pick up 

Make sure you have copies of passports, flight e-tickets and hotel stays for each of you and don’t forget to sign the form  ( I think on pages 2 & 6 from memory) You’ll have your photo and fingerprints taken at the desk when you’re called. 

Allowing myself to get excited now 😁

1 hour ago, Ellemdee said:

Make sure you have copies of passports, flight e-tickets and hotel stays for each of you and don’t forget to sign the form  ( I think on pages 2 & 6 from memory) You’ll have your photo and fingerprints taken at the desk when you’re called. 

@EllemdeeThat's reassuring to know. And the fact we both don't have to back to collect.  Look forward  to meeting you at the hotel - think we're arriving into Beijing around 4.30pm on Air France. I'll let you know what happens after we've been to Edinburgh.

On 2/8/2024 at 5:44 PM, Ellemdee said:

@Ellemdeejust been to Edinburgh. In and out in half an hour. Ready next Tuesday. 👍