Mariner? How does it compare with Oceania Riviera before refurbishment?

Sorry for such a long title!

We sailed on the Riviera on its penultimate cruise before refurbishment. Aesthetically the ship looked fine. If there were any problems it was that stocks of some drinks ran out obviously because they were running stocks down to go into dry dock.

So, I should confess that we sailed on the Navigator in 2019, our first RSSC, and cancelled our upcoming trip to Asia that same year whilst onboard. As Oceania fans, with Seabourn and Silversea thrown in, we weren’t impressed with RSSC.

So you might ask why are we even thinking about another RSSC cruise. Straight out, down to price and value!

I’ve read so many negative reports about the Mariner I’m not sure if, even at a reduced price, it’s worth considering?

I’ve been on Mariner for the last 23 days and to me she is in as good shape now as when we first sailed her 21 years ago. Still best public spaces except for deck 11 design, I hope they finally fix that in 2025.  Cabins (at least mine) in great shape.  Is she as fancy as new ships, no.  We just came off 21 days on grandeur before joining and I prefer mariner.  Mariner with grandeur’s deck 11 would be fantastic. 

• Like 8

On 1/4/2024 at 2:19 PM, mrlevin said:

Cabins (at least mine) in great shape.

You are lucky. We are in a Grand Suite and it is far from being in great shape. The carpets are worn and stained and the soft furnishings are really showing their age.

Worn Out.jpg

23 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

You are lucky. We are in a Grand Suite and it is far from being in great shape. The carpets are worn and stained and the soft furnishings are really showing their age.

Worn Out.jpg

CJ - I think I completely agree with you!  And that's a Grand Suite?  Wow!  I think a Motel 6 would look nicer than that!  The problem is that Regent keeps filling these "Suites" and people keep paying the huge prices for them!  Regards

• Like 1

I’ve sailed on Marina (2016), Riviera (2021) and Sirena (2023) and Regent Mariner (2022). I enjoyed all tremendously but was really impressed w Mariner over my Oceania cruises. Mariner was much more luxurious and luminous. 
People either love or hate Navigator, so I’ve been told.

15 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Worn Out.jpg

That’s unacceptable.