Livorno ideas with children/teens

Disalvod

We will be at Livorno with three daughters (14,12,10) and currently booked to see Cique Terre in late May 2024. 

Earlier in that week we will see Amalfi coast... are the towns too similar?  Also, the 2 hour drive to CT from Livorno port is something to consider.  

Would anyone have any ideas on what to do in Livorno with the family or validate that Cinque Terra would be a good idea?  

We see Rome the day prior so we were considering alternatives to Florence because Rome will be a big city experience. 

We appreciate any insight you may be able to provide 🙂

CT is a fine idea.  Although, last year we went to Florence the day after Rome and the kids (14 and 10) loved it.  The boy (14) liked the history and architecture, while the girl (10) liked shopping in the stalls with leather products.  

On 1/9/2024 at 11:39 PM, Disalvod said:

We appreciate any insight you may be able to provide

You could also consider Pisa for the Leaning Tower as they might enjoy that. If you go nowhere else, you might even have time for a pre-booked climb of the tower should that appeal. On the official website read the rules carefully if you are interested.  Could also consider travelling further on to Tuscan gem Lucca, another favourite with cruise pax. Pisa is especially close to Livorno by train, and Lucca not toomuch further from Pisa.

Many past threads about these options can be read. You could find them using the SEARCH Tool.

I loved our Amalfi Coast independent excursion.   Sweeping views of the coast during the drive and the coastal city / stops had beautiful views as well.

Personally, I was underwhelmed with our CT ship's excursion.   We visited only one village and it was very crowded.   I was used to seeing the beautiful photos of the villages which are taken from the ocean or a helicopter, but when you are in the village, of course you don't see that view.   Perhaps if you have more time there and hike I may have liked it better.

We did a ship's tour to Pisa as a last minute add, since we missed our originally scheduled excursion (mix up on meeting point in ship, and thus we were a few minutes late and they left without us!)    The ship re-booked us on the Pisa excursion as it was the only one with openings, and I was pleasantly surprised.  I thought the field of miracles was beautiful.

Florence is good too.   I understand the concern about 2 big cities in 2 days, but if you have the energy, you can't go wrong with Florence.

Good luck.

I would think with kids that age, I would get them to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa.  It's quite cool to see, in my opinion.  You'll all love getting selfies there.   You have to get a pictured where you're pretending to hold the tower from falling over!

You can do a quick visit to Florence as well if you're so inclined.  I did these 2 as part of ship excursion in years past.

My husband and I had been to Livorno before for our honeymoon, and while Florence was lovely, I completely agree with all of your reasoning as to why you want to mix things up for your kids.  We are going back this summer with our 10-year-old and have the same itinerary.  We decided to do a tour in Livorno with Rome in Limo to Pisa and Lucca, with a quick stop at a winery on the way back.  With Pisa being only 30 minutes from the port and than Lucca only another 30 minutes away, we get so much more time for adventure.  The tour includes time to go to the top of the leaning tower also which should be fun.