Decided to book with Malecon21

Clearwater

The most recent reviews on TripAd look like service is back to stellar and food is great. Not going until May so I have time to change plans if things take a nosedive but if anyone has recent experience, please let me know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

The most recent reviews on TripAd look like service is back to stellar and food is great. Not going until May so I have time to change plans if things take a nosedive but if anyone has recent experience, please let me know. 

One of our favorites. Hope it has recovered. Let us know how it goes!

2 hours ago, newty25 said:

We did it two years ago. Wasn't packed at all. Could have walked up and got a better deal.

Food and service were good.

Interested to know what sort of better deal?

Originally it was just PAYG but later they started asking for a minimum cover but it was credited back to food and drinks so are you saying you got a discount? There isn’t any actual booking fee it just reserves a lounger for you when you book in advance and you can ask for a particular position if you have a favorite.

We did get a better deal once by paying pesos on local menu but they stopped that for non-locals.

Edited by c-leg5

• 2 months later...

Also interested in hearing about Malecon21, if anyone has gone recently - especially about the beach.  I read a review that said the water is very shallow to swim there and not much to see if you want to snorkel.  A great beach day is our preference, food/drink isn't so important for us.  I like that the min cover charge to get into Malecon21 is only $40 for the freedom plan, this is why I'm leaning towards booking this beach club. 

I read a review that said if you don't spend your full cover charge (ie in this case $40) that the establishment frowns on you.  Is this true?

I doubt you would get good snorkeling from the beach. A lot of that area is very shallow. I have been in the water but haven’t actually snorkeled there and can’t remember exactly. If you go to Google maps satellite view you will get an idea how far out the reef is. It looks some distance at that point.

Generally in Costa Maya it is recommended you get a snorkel boat which can be arrange through any of the beach clubs, or directly, for a much better experience. 

We are one of Malecon’s customers from their early days. I realize prices have increased since then but if they are getting a minimum payment I can’t imagine they are bothered whether or not you reach it? Food is, or at least was, very good - a little different to the norm, and a little “fusion”.

Pre- Covid we had several excellent visits there when they were new. I am glad they survived shut down and despite a rocky restart when we found service lacking it appears from recent reviews seem that they have weathered the storm. 

• Thanks 2