One of Those Days – aka, I Need a Cruise

12 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I’ve only just read your thread from P.1.  Hilarious, and witty.

Here’s my NGR for today:  how not to start a ragu for a lasagne when all your prep work has been perfect, till lifting the oil from the oil drawer to begin the first cooking step

IMG_5648.jpeg

Hil said "Oh Noo"

Oil leave the jokes aside at the moment😄

But seriously, we have kitchen draws similar to those and a couple of near misses, lifting bottles out.

Hil has a runner rug between cupboard and the bench.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's a marital sequence😉

Mario far too frequently simply rests the lid on top of the bottle in the drawer after barbecuing.  This isn't the first time the floor has had an oil bath.  Worse still are all the shattered glass pieces and shards, all mixed in with the oil (and wasting good olive oil is no fun either).  I usually check that he's screwed the lid tightly before I lift the bottle, but this morning I didn't.  He was on the golf course.  The satanic woman in me innocently posted this photo on our family chat.  He must have heard the phone buzz, as phones switched to volume are forbidden on the course. Just as I was beginning to tackle the mess, after slipping over in it 😤 he was at the door, having rushed home after only nine holes.  Bless him, he cleaned it up.  He did look rather terrified, though😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

There's a marital sequence😉

Mario far too frequently simply rests the lid on top of the bottle in the drawer after barbecuing.  This isn't the first time the floor has had an oil bath.  Worse still are all the shattered glass pieces and shards, all mixed in with the oil (and wasting good olive oil is no fun either).  I usually check that he's screwed the lid tightly before I lift the bottle, but this morning I didn't.  He was on the golf course.  The satanic woman in me innocently posted this photo on our family chat.  He must have heard the phone buzz, as phones switched to volume are forbidden on the course. Just as I was beginning to tackle the mess, after slipping over in it 😤 he was at the door, having rushed home after only nine holes.  Bless him, he cleaned it up.  He did look rather terrified, though😂

I have one of those (not mentioning her name) who some time does not put the top on the milk fully, yours truly picks it up and gives it a shake before using it, end result lots of white liquid spayed all around the kitchen, and on the shaker.....😒

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

I have one of those (not mentioning her name) who some time does not put the top on the milk fully, yours truly picks it up and gives it a shake before using it, end result lots of white liquid spayed all around the kitchen, and on the shaker.....😒

Gosh this is almost turning into a confession time 😁😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Tears?

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

I have one of those too, only he is the boarder. Incapable of putting a screw top on straight on the jam jar, can't tell the difference between the general rubbish kitchen tidy and the recycle bin (I had to resort to putting an A4 label on the recycle bin 'no foodstuffs in this bin' - the two bins are totally different in appearance), can't wash up to save himself (I'm forever taking 'washed' crockery and cutlery out of the cupboard and redoing it). The list is endless. He's a thoroughly nice person, just clueless and unteachable. Yeah, I REALLY need a cruise...............🥺😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 2/18/2024 at 7:03 AM, Ozwoody said:

I sincerely hope that's from work-outs etc, not impact.😬

Sadly no. Chronic illness. 

Cbtours: I laugh at my problems. A lot. Otherwise, I'd cry.

That said, look at the first post in this thread: 

So major, major YAY!
Also: I need a cruise. It obviously has a positive medical effect on me!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, JVes said:

Sadly no. Chronic illness. 

Cbtours: I laugh at my problems. A lot. Otherwise, I'd cry.

That said, look at the first post in this thread: 

So major, major YAY!
Also: I need a cruise. It obviously has a positive medical effect on me!

Hi JVes

I checked out your thread above.

Wow; yes you did need a cruise, and yep I would go along with you need another one.

Certainly hope it works out for you.

Its common for someone like me, to not grasp what challenges other people face, as I fortunately have good health. But then you hear the challenges someone else faces, and its then you start to appreciate what you do have.

You sound like a fighter, and I feel, you will make it happen. Keep fighting you can get through it.

Its not just our own mischief that makes us need a cruise, but sometimes what life dishes up, is also a need for a cruise.

Regards

John

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi JVes

Wow; yes you did need a cruise, and yep I would go along with you need another one.

Its common for someone like me, to not grasp what challenges other people face, as I fortunately have good health. But then you hear the challenges someone else faces, and its then you start to appreciate what you do have.

You sound like a fighter, and I feel, you will make it happen. Keep fighting you can get through it.

Its not just our own mischief that makes us need a cruise, but sometimes what life dishes up, is also a need for a cruise.

Regards

John

DITTO!!!!!!

16 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi JVes

Regards

John

I have three choices, and the first two are unacceptable.
Die. (Unacceptable.)
Become so apathetic and lethargic that I have to get dumped into a nursing home or equivalent. (Also unacceptable.)
FIGHT LIKE HELL and GET AS HEALTHY AS I CAN. (Very acceptable.)

So yeah. Option 3.
And I hope everyone reading this chooses option 3 if/when they get faced with these three choices. And help loved ones to choose, too. Make sure they choose it for themselves, so it sticks.

John, I am very happy to see that you do have good health. Treat it as the gift it is, and make sure to enjoy it. Take your friends and family to a park and play frisbee with them. Fly kites. Climb mountains and enjoy the view. Go to the beach, and wade in the surf. Swim in the surf if you have skilled lifeguards patrolling. Hunt for shells. Get a stick and water shoes and explore the rockpools, gently poke things with the stick to see if they're an animal or a plant.
And think of me when you do these things. Just for one or two tosses of the frisbee!

What you can do to help people like me:
Notice if someone's wheelchair is stuck in paving. Ask if they need the help, and get them free.*
(IMPORTANT NOTE: always ask before moving a wheelchair.)
Hold a door.
Speak to the disabled person, too often someone will speak to the person helping them. ("Do you think she'd like this?" "Why don't you ask her!")

* A real incident. The wheelchair was stuck in cobblestones on the edge of the road, and in the four or five minutes it took Bestie to reach her, noone - noone! - helped her. Bestie, of course, did. Got her past the cobbles and onto smooth pavement.

One of the most memorable times someone helped us: Bestie and I were struggling to manage one person in a wheelchair (me), one pushing (Bestie), me loaded with carryon bags in my lap, and I was trying to manage a pair of suitcases in front of us, like pushing two prams at once.
An apparently able-bodied person saw us, saw that we were aiming for a lift, took about two steps to his left and pushed the lift call button, and was on his way before we could even say a proper thank you.
I've never forgotten that kindness.

Edited by JVes
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, JVes said:

Die. (Unacceptable.)
Become so apathetic and lethargic that I have to get dumped into a nursing home or equivalent. (Also unacceptable.)

So yeah. Option 3.
And I hope everyone reading this chooses option 3 if/when they get faced with these three choices. And help loved ones to choose, too. Make sure they choose it for themselves, so it sticks.

John, I am very happy to see that you do have good health. Treat it as the gift it is, and make sure to enjoy it. Take your friends and family to a park and play frisbee with them. Fly kites. Climb mountains and enjoy the view. Go to the beach, and wade in the surf. Swim in the surf if you have skilled lifeguards patrolling. Hunt for shells. Get a stick and water shoes and explore the rockpools, gently poke things with the stick to see if they're an animal or a plant.
And think of me when you do these things. Just for one or two tosses of the frisbee!

Notice if someone's wheelchair is stuck in paving. Ask if they need the help, and get them free.*
Hold a door.
Speak to the disabled person, too often someone will speak to the person helping them. ("Do you think she'd like this?" "Why don't you ask her!")

* A real incident. The wheelchair was stuck in cobblestones on the edge of the road, and in the four or five minutes it took Bestie to reach her, noone - noone! - helped her. Bestie, of course, did. Got her past the cobbles and onto smooth pavement.

One of the most memorable times someone helped us: Bestie and I were struggling to manage one person in a wheelchair (me), one pushing (Bestie), me loaded with carryon bags in my lap, and I was trying to manage a pair of suitcases in front of us, like pushing two prams at once.
An apparently able-bodied person saw us, saw that we were aiming for a lift, took about two steps to his left and pushed the lift call button, and was on his way before we could even say a proper thank you.

Totally get what you're saying JVes and always try to assist when I can (even if it's just getting out of the way 😀). However, one time I saw a blind person obviously struggling to get on a train. I tried to assist and got abused by that person for my trouble. I first asked if I could assist, so it's not like I came out of nowhere and startled them but boy did I get an earful. Left me feeling quite shaken.

JVes actually I can identify with the wheelchair issue.

One of my daughters had to have corrective surgery to both of her knees when she was about 9, and she spent about 6 months in a wheelchair.

When we were out people would ask us what happened, or speak to her very very slowly.

How       are       you              dear?

This annoyed her immensely, then one day when a woman started talking to her like that, she snapped, "There is nothing wrong with my brain, its my knees that are in plaster".

I did not know whether to chastise her for being rude, or cheer her on.

I don't know whether I should be ashamed, but I did the latter.😟

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, JVes said:

Die. (Unacceptable.)

So yeah. Option 3.

Hold a door.

Very courageous posting. I can relate in a small way. NEVER give in. That is the only sure way to lose. Thoughts and prayers to you. 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2024 at 3:03 PM, ceeceeDee said:

Totally get what you're saying JVes and always try to assist when I can (even if it's just getting out of the way 😀). However, one time I saw a blind person obviously struggling to get on a train. I tried to assist and got abused by that person for my trouble. I first asked if I could assist, so it's not like I came out of nowhere and startled them but boy did I get an earful. Left me feeling quite shaken.

All I can imagine is that she was having a horrible day. But no, she had no right to talk to you like that. And thank you so much for asking first. That's extremely important.

22 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

JVes actually I can identify with the wheelchair issue.

One of my daughters had to have corrective surgery to both of her knees when she was about 9, and she spent about 6 months in a wheelchair.

When we were out people would ask us what happened, or speak to her very very slowly.

How       are       you              dear?

This annoyed her immensely, then one day when a woman started talking to her like that, she snapped, "There is nothing wrong with my brain, its my knees that are in plaster".

I did not know whether to chastise her for being rude, or cheer her on.

I don't know whether I should be ashamed, but I did the latter.😟

You did right. People behaving like that are the ones being rude. Unless clearly indicated otherwise, treat a disabled person as a normal one, except for the visible disability. When I'm using a walker, I take up more space on a footpath or in a hallway so I appreciate people making the space for me. But (as your daughter said) "there's nothing wrong with my brain".

Those of us who have invisible disabilities have a problem unique to us (I think). We take a disability-only parking spot, put our tags on the dashboard, and get out of the car. Only to be abused (sometimes quite seriously) for 'pretending to be disabled'. Same with special seating in busses and trains.

JJK and MareBlu

Thank you so much for your kind words. And I know you both mean it, you're not 'just saying' that. You have no idea (maybe you do) how much it means to have that sort of kindness.

I leave you with a phrase I cling to on bad days:

I GET KNOCKED DOWN, BUT I GET UP AGAIN, Y'AIN'T NEVER GONNA KEEP ME DOWN!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JVes said:

All I can imagine is that she was having a horrible day. But no, she had no right to talk to you like that. And thank you so much for asking first. That's extremely important.

You did right. People behaving like that are the ones being rude. Unless clearly indicated otherwise, treat a disabled person as a normal one, except for the visible disability. When I'm using a walker, I take up more space on a footpath or in a hallway so I appreciate people making the space for me. But (as your daughter said) "there's nothing wrong with my brain".

Those of us who have invisible disabilities have a problem unique to us (I think). We take a disability-only parking spot, put our tags on the dashboard, and get out of the car. Only to be abused (sometimes quite seriously) for 'pretending to be disabled'. Same with special seating in busses and trains.

JJK and MareBlu

Thank you so much for your kind words. And I know you both mean it, you're not 'just saying' that. You have no idea (maybe you do) how much it means to have that sort of kindness.

I leave you with a phrase I cling to on bad days:

I GET KNOCKED DOWN, BUT I GET UP AGAIN, Y'AIN'T NEVER GONNA KEEP ME DOWN!

YES, JVes I do mean it, as I'm certain the others on here posting do as well. Each of us has or will have burdens in our life. Some will be worse than others. I too have my issues, health issues but serious ones. Each day is a gift not to be overlooked. YES, that is easier said than done many days. But the key to winning this battle is to NEVER give up. Find what is good in every day no matter how small the good is and give Thanks. 

• Like 2

My brother is also severely ill: he's actually worse off than me, and his prognosis is bad. He came up with a plan for the rest of his life.

He works on giving his wife and children good memories of him.

They're the most important people in his life. He's also sharing life with our parents and with me, but (understandably) his kids and wife are his main focus.

In my own life, my mantra is that every day, I

teach something, learn something, and make someone smile.
If I achieve that, it's been a good day. Since I took up that mantra, I have had 99% good days. The one day I didn't had a bad fall that took me from Emergency to Short Stay. I think that's a reasonable excuse!
(PS: I now have balance excercises in my PT folder.)

Having a way to decide whether or not a day has been successful helps me a lot. Consider making up one of your own!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JVes said:

My brother is also severely ill: he's actually worse off than me, and his prognosis is bad. He came up with a plan for the rest of his life.

He works on giving his wife and children good memories of him.

They're the most important people in his life. He's also sharing life with our parents and with me, but (understandably) his kids and wife are his main focus.

In my own life, my mantra is that every day, I

teach something, learn something, and make someone smile.
If I achieve that, it's been a good day. Since I took up that mantra, I have had 99% good days. The one day I didn't had a bad fall that took me from Emergency to Short Stay. I think that's a reasonable excuse!
(PS: I now have balance excercises in my PT folder.)

Having a way to decide whether or not a day has been successful helps me a lot. Consider making up one of your own!

You achieved your goal again with this post, as it made me smile.😃 Thank You!!!! Well said.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...