Which Cruise Line

lozzie64

Hi everyone,  I am trying to drill down who goes to Glacier Bay the last week of August 2025 and the first week of September 2025?  Norwegian would be good if possible as they seem to have the room type we want, but having trouble getting confirmed Glacier Bay visit.  We need a room where there are 2 sleeping sections, for 2 adult people, happy to pay whatever it takes, must have veranda. Thanks.  PS, I did hold a Suite today on Sapphire Princess 30 Aug 2025 out of Whittier that shows Glacier Bay and Hubbard, don't have to pay deposit for a few more days, so still considering. Thanks all.

3 hours ago, lozzie64 said:

Norwegian would be good if possible as they seem to have the room type we want,

Although i have no personal experience of NCL anywhere,I seem to remember a number of negative comments on the boards concerning NCL Alaskan itineraries last year.  These included being docked further out of town than other lines, (Ketchikan way out at Ward Cove being one example) tendering when other lines were docked, and shorter times in port.  Maybe others could remember any similar comments?  Or you could ask about NCL in Alaska on the NCL forum, or read reviews of NCL ships which were in that area last year.  Any or all of these options might help you decide.

OTOH, Princess and HAL have decades of Alaskan experience , and both lines are often recommended  by CC members for Alaska, both at sea and on land for their cruisetours.

Edited by edinburgher

No experience with NCL in Alaska but Sapphire gets rave reviews for Alaska and especially in a suite as you have on hold. We have Sapphire booked for our 2024 cruisetour. We have cruised Princess 20+ years and they have a long established presence in Alaska. 

Thanks Edinburgher and Paula, that is super helpful information.  Yes, I was thinking Princess seem to really know Alaska, I will have time to read the reviews over the weekend, maybe stop even considering NCL ships as well.  I have been once before and the port times and location are super important.

NCL docks in Ward Cove in Ketchikan which requires a bus ride into ketchikan itself. OTher lines dock in Ketchikan downtown and are easier to get to stuff in Ketchikan. If you are planning on doing only ship's excursion and not doing your own thing in Downtown, id on't think there is a difference in doing ward cove, but the shuttle to downtown and back adds overhead. 

13 minutes ago, smarterman64 said:

NCL docks in Ward Cove in Ketchikan which requires a bus ride into ketchikan itself. OTher lines dock in Ketchikan downtown and are easier to get to stuff in Ketchikan. If you are planning on doing only ship's excursion and not doing your own thing in Downtown, id on't think there is a difference in doing ward cove, but the shuttle to downtown and back adds overhead. 

Plus times are very limited in Ketchikan on those who dock in Ward Cove.

NCL would be my last choice.

• Like 2