Amawaterways or Avalon for 1st Rhine River Cruise?

mommyx2

We are couple in late 50’s looking at Amawaterways and Avalon Rhine River Cruises Basel to Amsterdam similar itineraries for our 1st river cruise in April .

We have cruised alot on many different Ocean Cruises 

which would u choose and why?

What are your favorite ocean cruise lines?  That will help us make the comparison.

There was a Cruise Critic article comparing several river cruise lines to ocean lines and hotels.  It has been taken down because it's long in the tooth, and frankly I didn't always agree with the comparisons, but for what it's worth:

•  AmaWaterways – Oceania, Four Seasons

•  Avalon – Norwegian, Hyatt Regency

•  Grand Circle – Voyages of Discovery, Sheraton

•  Scenic – Celebrity, W Hotels

•  Tauck – Crystal, Ritz-Carlton

•  Viking – Holland America, J.W. Marriott

• Like 1

We really like both Ocean and River. We are Diamond+ on Royal Caribbean and have done a few river cruises. We have been branching out on RC doing things like the Arctic Circle, Iceland & Ireland, & Western Mediterranean. Panama Canal this spring and Greece next Fall. My wife & I just turned 55.

Our first river cruise was in 2005 on Vantage (Budapest to Bucharest). My parents took my sister & I and our SOs. We were the youngest by far (like 30 years). The daily itinerary would list the number of steps (as in stairs) 🤣 I say it was far more interesting than fun. They catered to that demographic.

Flash forward to 2018/19, and my parents wanted to take the grand kids on a trip. A lot of things were thrown around, and my sister and I came across river cruises via Disney Adventures. As we looked into that, realized that they charter AmaWaterways and it was cheaper to book that directly. So we booked Ama's Rivers and Castles from Nuremburg to Luxembourg for Summer 2019. Note that Disney charters the whole ship with their own cruise managers, so this was not Disney in any way. We were a family of 9, and there were many other families, including 2 family groups much larger than ours. We really liked Ama, so we booked Grand Danube on AmaMagna. Did that last Spring (2023). Had a great time (and AmaMagna is amazing). After booking that, my parents again wanted to take the grand kids on a Christmas Markets cruise. They are big fans of Grand Circle (my wife & I hate the cabins), and booked it before even asking. My daughter ended up not going, but even though my wife & I were not fans of the ship itself, the people were very nice and the overall the trip was good (December 2022).

We have booked Ama again for spring 2025 for the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam with our daughter and her fiancé.

While we have really only been on 2 different cruise lines (Vantage ships were basically identical to GC's), we really like Ama. Their cabins are more like what you'd expect from an ocean cruise (at least compared to GC) and like the fact that there's different excursion options and different activity levels. Not to say that you won't find that on others. 

Most people have their favourite lines... And seldom stray.  Why change if you are happy??

I tend to look at itinerary, dates and then prices.  I am not brand loyal. I have travelled with Avalon 4 times - one more scheduled this June.  I have travelled with AMA once - with a second booked in May of this year. I have also travelled with Viking, Scenic, Emerald & Uniworld.

There are more similarities than differences IMHO.  Food is subjective - as is the included wine & beer.  You have no control over the cruise director - or the kitchen staff. Both of these can impact the cruise.

From my memory, AMA was (is) a bit more upscale than Avalon - but that isn't important to us.  If it is to you, then AMA might be your better choice.  Neither includes gratuities - but I just add them at the time of booking so I don't have to worry about them on the boat.

I usually travel lowest category (aka Aquarium class) so room size is important to me.  If you travel in a higher category, the Avalon rooms - with the bed facing out to the water might be enticing (until you are rafted - if you like to keep your curtains open...). 

I like the more relaxed atmosphere on Avalon.  I also like the fact that they offer more than one option for the included excursion.  I believe that AMA is now doing the same. This allows me to sail the same river - but see different things.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.  Just look closely at the itinerary - that is often where the differences are.

Fran

• Like 1

We’re similar in that we’re just doing our first river cruise in Provence this year after many ocean cruises. I have a dear friend who specializes as a travel agent in cruises of all sorts and she puts AMA and Uniworld on top. We chose AMA bv we hit them when they were having a 20% sale which made their cost similar to Viking. Friend likes AMA bc fewer passengers, bikes always available, local wines are a focus, and incredible food. Not saying the other higher end aren’t similar but her preference plus the sale and timing made it our choice. 

Also, we didn’t do big ships to anywhere but the Caribbean. To do the frantic disembark with all the other pax in really interesting destinations where a few hours is not enough, is not for us. The appeal of river cruises is the less frantic vibe and smaller, immersive excursions. We’re really excited!

3 hours ago, sakigemcam said:

We’re similar in that we’re just doing our first river cruise in Provence this year after many ocean cruises. I have a dear friend who specializes as a travel agent in cruises of all sorts and she puts AMA and Uniworld on top. We chose AMA bv we hit them when they were having a 20% sale which made their cost similar to Viking. Friend likes AMA bc fewer passengers, bikes always available, local wines are a focus, and incredible food. Not saying the other higher end aren’t similar but her preference plus the sale and timing made it our choice. 

Also, we didn’t do big ships to anywhere but the Caribbean. To do the frantic disembark with all the other pax in really interesting destinations where a few hours is not enough, is not for us. The appeal of river cruises is the less frantic vibe and smaller, immersive excursions. We’re really excited!

Based on this description of your preferences, if you want to plan a Mediterranean ocean cruise some day I recommend Azamara.  Similar in many ways to AMA, and famous for country-intensive itineraries on their small ships.

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Based on this description of your preferences, if you want to plan a Mediterranean ocean cruise some day I recommend Azamara.  Similar in many ways to AMA, and famous for country-intensive itineraries on their small ships.

Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

We've been on 5 Ama and 2 Avalon, and enjoyed them all. We have another one on Avalon scheduled. They are very similar, and I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Avalon charges for some of their excursions, although there will always be some in every stop that are included. As far as I remember, all of the excursions that Ama offers are included. Avalon's cabins are generally a little bigger. Those are the main differences. Either way, you should have a great time!

I have not sailed on Avalon, but have  been on 4 cruises with AmaWaterways.  I would not call them formal. The food is very good, if that is important to you and all excursions are included.  

• Thanks 1

AMA is not formal.  No river cruise line is formal – we have sailed on Scenic and AMA.  The only possibility of a more formal feel would be Uniworld (if people feel compelled to dress up to the standards of the décor!) and Tauck – but I doubt that even those come close to the formality of many ocean cruise lines.