Opinions wanted about 9pm LAX arrival on a Sat. with Princess cruise on Mon.

Have points for either Marriott or Holiday Inn. Can't decide if better to stay at 2 different hotels or just go straight to the San Pedro Crown Plaza. I'm thinking, with coming from East Coast (midnight our time), better to head right down (Uber Black as want terminal 5 pick up) rather than spend that night at a LAX hotel with shuttle. Or will that be more tiring? We are in our 70's.

That's really a personal choice for you to make depending on your late night habits.  For me I'm an early to bed early to rise person.  So for me I would go to a hotel by LAX and make a leisure day on Saturday to go to San Pedro.  But again with the excitement of traveling and getting in at 9:00 PM I might just suck it up and go to San Pedro so I don't have to pack and unpack twice.    

Traffic from LAX to San Pedro should be very light that late at night in those areas. It should take about 30-45 minutes for the drive down to San Pedro, vs. 5-10 minutes to get to the LAX hotels.

There isn't really anything to do or anywhere easily accessed in the LAX area, whereas the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro is located near a few blocks of retail shops and restaurants, as well as the waterfront a block from the hotel. It's not an upscale marina, but is still safe and interesting.

Were it me, I'm heading straight to San Pedro...

You are getting in at 9:00 pm local time (yes, I know it feels like midnight to you)...It's going to take a little time to de-plane and get your luggage, them, either way, it will take a few more minutes to get your ride--whether it be Uber Black or an LAX hotel shuttle...so, say you'll be at one of the LAX hotels by around 10:00...or you'll ride the extra 20 miles to San Pedro and be there 10:30 (yes, zero traffic at that time)... If you are already at the CP in San Pedro, you can sleep in, relax in your room the next day as long as you want, have choices for breakfast, brunch or lunch and spend a leisurely day.  But...if you're at LAX the next morning, you've got to wake up, check out of the hotel at an early hour...and,face a longer ride to San Pedro...where your room may not yet be ready..  So, I'd deal with that slightly later arrival in order to keep my following day simple and stress-free. JMHO.

• Like 2

Since you have two nights, I would not spend any nights in San Pedro.

I'd spend both nights in a Residence Inn, either Manhattan Beach or Long Beach.

Getting to San Pedro isn't hard from either place.

We researched a similar question and have picked Long Beach. The Hyatt Centric or Hyatt Regency are close to several things to do. The Hyatt Centric is supposed to be attached to the mall, but it is still close to The Queen Mary, the beach, several eating venues etc.  If you have Chase points, you can transfer to your Hyatt account and they usually require less points per night than Marriott.  ( another idea to research)

• Like 1