Flight with Regent to Miami ( UK resident)

11 hours ago, seasickphil said:

Eric,

Also agree with @Jane Mitchell & @swansong our flights on our Regent cruises have been given way earlier than 75 days out. We have been informed of our flight times by our TA normally around 9/10 months before our cruise departs. If the flights offered don't suit you then you can always ask Regent if there are alternative flights available, we did this last July for our cruise on Splendor, where we flew out of our local airport instead of having to travel down to London We were given BA flights from Heathrow [obviously not ticketed] to Rio in July 2023 for our March 2024 Rio to Lisbon cruise aboard Voyager, we would have asked Regent once again if they could arrange flights from Norwich [via Amsterdam] to Rio but unfortunately my wife's mother is very poorly with cancer, therefore we cancelled the cruise just before Christmas so as she can be with her mother.

So if you do not like the flights/times offered then don't be afraid to ask if there are alternative flights available from airports that are more suitable to you. We have gone with the original flights offered by Regent from London, we have also asked and were provided with alternative flights from Norwich [small charge] and we have also made our own flight arrangements instead of taking ones offered by Regent.

My flights are from my nearest airport (Edinburgh) who can only fly me to  Heathrow  then onto Miami  if I am to arrive there on the same day and be able to book into my arranged pre cruise hotel. I don't see any other options  If I was to fly from Edinburgh to Europe then onto Miami it takes too long and sometimes involves 2 changes so would never be there in time to arrive at my hotel?

@eric4395 the flight from LHR to Miami is easy and the offer of business class flights is great as we don't usually get that included in the UK. When we went some of the passengers were offered BA and some Virgin and whilst we arrived later than hoped, we still managed to enjoy the evening and the following morning. We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental on Brickell Key - Regent organised.

My concern re flying from Edinburgh to London on the day your flight leaves for Miami, would be if there is bad weather (wind and snow in particular) you may, like us, end up having your domestic leg severely delayed and miss your connecting flight to Miami.

• Like 2

Just now, Poppy1966 said:

I just arrange my own flights, hotel, transfers etc and use the cruise only fare credit and fly in 2-3 days in advance…same on return..

Don't think that would help us, after our TA ( my niece😊) recommended  it to us as a brilliant offer with the business class flights, I checked how much the flights were from Edin to Miami and I was shocked to see they weren't far short of the full price that we were paying for the whole deal.  So no idea how they are doing it, they must have a special cheaper deal with the airlines involved so no we won't be doing our own flights😃

Sounds like American, BA or Virgin are your probable options. I’d still strongly suggest that you get to LHR the day before. If you don’t want to pay the deviation fee to choose which of these options you prefer, you could always hedge your bets with an on-site hotel and book a fully refundable room in each of the Terminals, T3 or 5 I believe. Room prices will only increase closer to the date. 
Hilton Garden Inn for T3 and Sofitel for T5. We’ve stayed in both and both are fine. 
LP

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Original poster here, TA and myself were convinced it would be Edinburgh , London Heathrow Miami with BA flights but it's not!

Flying Edinburgh to New York / Miami in both directions with Delta airlines. Business class to & from New York & 1st class to Miami from New York 

Don't arrive in Miami till  8:45pm so am I right in assuming it will be about midnight by the time we get to our pre stay Hotel( not known at present time)

6 hours ago, eric4395 said:

Don't arrive in Miami till  8:45pm so am I right in assuming it will be about midnight by the time we get to our pre stay Hotel

Getting out of Miami airport takes quite a while, especially if the inter terminal train is still not running as it was over the holidays. However, traffic will be light at that time of night so I would guess you will be at your hotel by 10:30 pm. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CJANDH said:

However, traffic will be light at that time of night so I would guess you will be at your hotel by 10:30 pm. 

Especially as you will be clearing customs and passport control in NY; you will be on an internal flight to MIA which is usually a very different and quicker experience.

• Thanks 1

Have you asked Regent if a direct flight from Heathrow is available as an option. Whilst I appreciate that the flight is ‘free’ in your case I have usually been given a choice when my TA has asked. 

Just now, swansong said:

Have you asked Regent if a direct flight from Heathrow is available as an option. Whilst I appreciate that the flight is ‘free’ in your case I have usually been given a choice when my TA has asked. 

The TA asked us if we wanted to ask about changing but the only real advantage would be an earlier arrival time in Miami, also would prob be subject to a deviation fee ,&  London hotel fee if we decided (as has been advised) to go down a day earlier. An advantage looks like as poster Iprp has stated the customs & passport control will be sorted in New York . (We  have a 3 HR layover )and  prob less hassle in Miami airport. 

• Like 1