Havensight Dock Taxi Rates

Ms411

Thanks to cruiser Mitsugirly for posting this picture in another thread. I'm reposting it here to make it easier to find. These rates were implemented Oct 2023, and will probably be in effect for YEARS!

image.png.1b2291fdd7e554dbfae269ea4e896f0b.png

• Thanks 1

No, they will not go to Mermaid's Chair unless you have a minimum and negotiate a rate. Probably pretty expensive.

They will take just your group, but depending on the size of your group they may quote the private rate which isn't on the sign. The dispatcher should have a copy of the rate sheet with prices for private taxis.

There are six of us wanting to go to Red Hook Ferry Port, so we seriously have to pay $180 Round trip? Are there ANY other options? 

Oh, sorry, I just read the rest of the prior post.  So we can get a private taxi for less maybe? Should we walk out of the port area?

Thank you!

Cindy

Edited by Jeepsterchick

The $180 is the round trip public rate which is not supposed to be negotiated. The private rate will be higher still with the possibility of negotiating a lower private rate.

The rates are the same inside or outside the gate (well, they're supposed to be). 

If you google tour guides on St Thomas the taxi drivers with online presence will show their prices and real time availability. I suggest you check those sites and see what they quote, though they might not offer better rates.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 2:23 AM, Ms411 said:

No, they will not go to Mermaid's Chair unless you have a minimum and negotiate a rate. Probably pretty expensive.

They will take just your group, but depending on the size of your group they may quote the private rate which isn't on the sign. The dispatcher should have a copy of the rate sheet with prices for private taxis.

Cost of the private tours looked like it was $400-$800 for two people... hoping to get to get to Mermaid Chair for cheaper than that! Might need to reconsider our options. Or roll the dice and see if someone is willing to drive us out there and then take us back, I wanted to go to Brewers Bay Beach too... maybe start by going to Brewers Beach and then see if we can get to Mermaid's Chair? Isn't that near a hotel that people would want to go to and from? 

I doubt very seriously that a taxi driver will be willing to take just 2 people. The way I see it you either need to rent a vehicle and drive, or try to get a group of your fellow cruisers to join you. You probably need a minimum of 10.

No, there isn't a hotel. It's am upscale residential development that are probably mostly vacation homes that are available as vacation rentals when owners aren't on the island. People staying there probably rent vehicles or hire private drivers.

It might not be easy getting a taxi to Brewers, either. The taxi drivers take most visitors to popular destinations because it's easier for them to fill a 10+ passenger vehicle, and pick up more passengers on the return trip. The cruise passenger market is mostly geared to servicing groups, unfortunately.

There's a taxi dispatch within the gate, and there are sometimes taxis within the gated area that might not be in the dispatch area.

More than likely they will put you in a vehicle with others going to another destination, and you will get out at Paradise Point. Or, they may try to encourage you to take a tour that would include a stop at Paradise Point.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to do an island tour, but used to live there prior to Irmaria.  Is it possible to book a taxi tour and have it take me to the places I'd like to visit? Can I arrange that in advance or do I just negotiate something at the taxi stand?

Any idea how much it would be to taxi from the port to Lindquist/Coki VIA A QUICK STOP AT DRAKES SEAT???

If it would be about 30 for a direct trip to Lindquist... I wonder if they would negotiate at about $50. ????  

That seems like an expensive ride...  But, would this be worth it to check out the view up there on a nice sunny morning?

You asked similar question on TripAdvisor, right? I responded there.

Best to take an island tour that includes beach stop. Google St Thomas Island Tours to compare prices and itineraries.

An 'island tour' is not what we are interested in....

I am hearing that the hourly rate for a small taxi starts at $60.

Add in the $30 ride back to the ship...  Seems a little high,  but comes out to a $45.00pp private shore excursion.