Big Ship/Small Ship differences

rnr4thatsme

Hello!   Just beginning to look at Alaska options for 2025...  We a group of middle-aged couples - the majority of whom greatly value the onboard evening entertainment options available (contemporary music, comedians, production shows) - yes, some of the spouses are more Caribbean cruise types but they are coming along anyways, lol...  I know Alaska is about the ports, but we are trying to strike a balance, and prefer newer, well-maintained ships.  My main question is if there are two similar itineraries - one with a smaller ship, would the smaller ship be the better choice as it would be easier to disembark at ports and the ports themselves would be less crowded?   Or is that not really a factor when visiting Alaska? Would booking a cruise line excursion to get off the ship sooner negate any difference?   Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rnr4thatsme said:

I know Alaska is about the ports, but we are trying to strike a balance, and prefer newer, well-maintained ships

The smaller the ship the fewer entertainment and dining options. OTOH, the smaller the ship the faster you will tender off and on should there be any tender ports on your itinerary. And of course, a whole lot less walking around the ship.

Would booking a cruise line excursion to get off the ship sooner negate any difference? 

Shorex pax are usually first off any shipof any size  which can make quite a difference if tendering, much less so if docked.  There is no need to book ship shorex in every port in order to leave it fairly soon after docking.

I suggest you look at both HAL and Princess for Alaska as they have decades of experience in  Alaska and each will probably have at least two ships deployed for the season. Compare their ships and read reviews from 2023, also past threads, and once informed, you can decide which ship might suit you best in terms of size, entertainment etc, and maybe which is newer as that appears to be a priority for you. Both HAL and Princess SHOULD have well maintained ships but I don't know how you would go about getting that information, although others might know. . Of course the itinerary is also important even more so if this will be a "one off" and not the first of two or more Alaskan itineraries. HAL has a bit of a reputation for having less late night entertainment   but that can also depend on the passenger demographic on each sailing. Maybe look at Princess first if late night partying is important to you, but everyone is different and travelling the distance we did each time, and paying what we did, we cared absolutely nothing for any comedy act, for us it was all about the scenery and the ports.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

I've cruised the largest ships sailing Alaska and there were zero delays getting on and off the ship.  No issues there at all.

For lively onboard activities, I don't think you can beat the RCI Quantum Class ships like Quantum and Ovation or the NCL Breakaway+ (or whatever they're called) Class ships like Encore and Bliss.  Princess Royal Class, like Discovery, is also worth looking at.  

Celebrity Edge is sailing AK now too.  I haven't been on that class yet, but it looks amazing and some friends of mine can't stop raving about it.  

Thing is, none of them can sail the Canadian Inside Passage, so you sail outside Vancouver Island in what is often rough seas.  

I recommend not even looking at HAL.  HAL is a nice cruise line but activities and entertainment are horrible.  

• Thanks 1

I can only recommend ensure that your cruise includes Glacier Bay.

Went in 2011 going back this year.  Glacier Bay is magical.  I will never do an Alaskan cruise without it.

We are stepping it up this year and doing a Southbound to include Hubbard Glacier.  And a quick pre-cruise visit in Alaska.

• Like 1

Big vs small ship will not affect the port nearly as much as how many other ships are in port that day. I don’t know if you can look up port schedules that far in advance however. I love that celebrity has an onboard naturalist so maybe look at their larger ships for a balance of enrichment and entertainment. I love smaller ships especially in Alaska but the entertainment is usually sub par.

• Like 1