Wheelchair users

Firstnewcruiser

Main tip is the one  ace2542 has given. You'll get assistance to board and will get taken to your cabin and assistance at ports and eventual disembarkation.

You used to get priority embarkation at the start of the cruise but I have a feeling that might have gone and embarkation now is through cabins and/or loyalty levels.

If there are any tenders on your cruise, 'you' will have been invited to a 'step over the yellow lines' meeting. If a passenger can't complete the step test, then no tendering as crew are not there to carry passengers on/off the tender. They will assist but only in a general way. They will however assist a passenger in their wheelchair down the gangways. Can be a bit hairy but I don't think they've lost a wheelchair passenger yet down/up those ramps! 🙂

QM2 has annoying [for wheelchair users] half decks which means using the wheelchair lifts at those points. There are also designated spots in the theatre for wheelchair users and companions so get to know those but apart from avoiding other passengers toes when entering/exiting the lifts, as long as the wheelchair user has an able companion, not much else to write about.

We have embarked at Singapore a few times and all I will say is, ENJOY.

It's a wonderful way of seeing the world.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Firstnewcruiser said:

Yes, all forms have been completed, I was just wondering if anyone had advice about trips etc as we are both new to cruising

All Cunard tours are graded by activity levels, and as long as passengers can somehow get on a coach, either being carried on by their partner or carefully climbing up the steps, then the low activity tours won't be a problem. Our wheelchair folded up and went in the luggage compartment of the coach.

These are usually sightseeing 'panoramic' tours by coach with, photo stops and usually a drink at an appropriate stop. No need to get off the coach at all although the refreshment stop can be as much as an hour.

We started booking our own tours through the tour office and that involved a half or full day, car, driver and guide. The wheelchair packed up into the boot and we had excursions tailored to our own requirements.

• Thanks 1

If going on a Cunard tour, I would ask to go a little earlier so you can get a seat near the front to save any shuffling to sit.

It's quite amazing how some of those who are disabled and use sticks/zimmers etc can almost sprint to the coach to bag the front seats or their partner do the sprint for them.

I remember a really disgusting occasion when this happened and a chap who carried his wife up the coach steps was almost last onto the coach and NO ONE at or even near the front would yield a seat. 'My wife/husband /partner is disabled [yeah, right but they manage the disabled sprint] and I am going to sit next to her/him/them!!!' scenario.

We were quite a few rows back  but I got up and she sat next to my husband and he and I went to the back.

The member of the Ents staff who was the Cunard rep on the tour said he would make sure their cabin number was on the front seat if they went on any other  tours.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Firstnewcruiser said:

My friend is unable to get on a coach, we were thinking of getting taxis  to  town centres and just taking in the atmosphere, does that sound feasible?

I can't help there as we booked our own private transport if we didn't take a Cunard excursion or stay on the ship but if taxis are available and it works for you, great but a few words of caution, and this is possibly a silly thing to say, as I have no idea of your itinerary, do make sure it's safe to do so. 🙂

• Like 1

Do you book private transport on the ship? We found the information about the excursions unhelpful with regards to wheelchair users and the travel agent was no help so thought we would wait until we were on board and hopefully get more helpful advice there.

2 minutes ago, Firstnewcruiser said:

Do you book private transport on the ship? We found the information about the excursions unhelpful with regards to wheelchair users and the travel agent was no help so thought we would wait until we were on board and hopefully get more helpful advice there.

We booked on board  through the Grills' concierge as it wasn't possible to do so online when we wanted to before but interestingly, the excursion offerings have changed and I notice you now can book a private excursion online but as you say, pretty useless as far as extra info for the disabled traveller is concerned.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

If a passenger can't complete the step test, then no tendering as crew are not there to carry passengers on/off the tender

It was my Religous Education teacher who drowned in Cambodia on the Queen Elizabeth during the world cruise  whose death precipitated the new requirement. A really sad thing she only booked the trip that morning as well

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

It was my Religous Education teacher who drowned in Cambodia on the Queen Elizabeth during the world cruise  whose death precipitated the new requirement. A really sad thing she only booked the trip that morning as well

I remember with alarming clarity, the incident when it occured. It was so sad and doubly so for you.

• Like 1