Late Fall Cruise on Ruby Princess - Classic California Coast

IndyKid

So last month we spent a week on the Caribbean Princess doing the Eastern Caribbean itinerary, my wife and I enjoyed it very must even though it's not the newest ship in the fleet, so we're thinking about doing another trip in the fall. I've already investigated the New England/Canada itineraries but I'm concerned about possible weather issues. So we're now looking at the Ruby Princess for the week of October 26th or November 9th. 

I'd like to hear input from those who did this trip as far as their opinions about the ship, port cities, etc. Also, what kind of weather might we expect? 

Ruby Princess is very similar in layout to the Caribbean. It's a little larger with some larger venues. Last dry dock was Sept/Oct 2023 for just under a month. It's in good shape. You can obtain information regarding the ports in the port section of cruise critic. Too me it's all about being on board first, ports second.

I like the Ruby. I’ve done multiple cruises on her. She looks good after the recent refurbishment. 

The weather will probably be a chilly on the first and last sea days. It should be nicer in Southern California and Ensenada.

We normally stay on the ship in LA. In Ensenada, the winery tour up into the foothills is good. There’s plenty to do in San Diego and Santa Barbara, it just depends on your interests. 

1 hour ago, partybarbie said:

The weather will probably be a chilly on the first and last sea days. It should be nicer in Southern California and Ensenada.

Thanks, that was my suspicion also. Debating whether it's worth it to spend an extra $500 ($250/pp) for a balcony versus an oceanview cabin.

1 hour ago, IndyKid said:

Thanks, that was my suspicion also. Debating whether it's worth it to spend an extra $500 ($250/pp) for a balcony versus an oceanview cabin.

I would probably save the money on the cabin and use it towards doing things in the ports. We like the aft inside cabins on  Deck 14. It’s only a couple of steps to the pool, aft bar and buffet. If I need to see the weather from the cabin, I turn on the stateroom television and watch the bridge cam.

• Like 2

As far as weather goes, October can have the hottest temperatures of the year.  It's also the beginning of the windy season in both Northern and Southern California.T he windy "season" lasts from late September to about March, and there are only an average of 35 days of winds, lasting just one day, sometimes two or three.  The winds are called Diablos in No Cal, and Santa Anas in So Cal.  When there's a Diablo/Santa Ana event, humidity is very low, sometimes into single digits.  So it's a high fire danger time.  

Even if you don't encounter windy days during a Santa Ana, So Cal is likely to have some warm weather.  Temps can get up to the mid, even high 90's, although the ocean moderates the heat, so close to port would be a bit cooler.  

Of course one never knows exactly what the weather will be, but I'd call likely 80's to 90's in So Cal.  Definitely calls for sunscreen if you're outside!

Edited by greenbeanie
clarity

25 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

I would probably save the money on the cabin and use it towards doing things in the ports. We like the aft inside cabins on  Deck 14. It’s only a couple of steps to the pool, aft bar and buffet. If I need to see the weather from the cabin, I turn on the stateroom television and watch the bridge cam.

Thanks. I could deal with an inside cabin just fine, but with my wife that's a non-starter. It'll be enough of a chore to convince her we don't need a balcony!

• Like 1

We have done two East Coast cruises; both were in early to mid October. Please be aware that businesses may be closing down for the season as they we're when we went ( Bar Harbor for example). You would be going late in the season.