It was recommed i ask here. 2025 AK cruise w/ Vancouver B.C. port.

Shella73

Is it true? Can a very old misdemeanor charge keep you out of Canada?

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

I am trying to research this topic on a few fronts.  What Canada law is and what my husband's actual record is from NY state.

In 1989, he was pulled over for speeding  allowed a search of the car,disclosed there was a knife,in the trunks tool box with a blade bigger than his palm.

They arrested him for weapons possession, 4th degree. 

The charges were eventually reduced to a misdemeanor and all he did was forfit the bail as a fine.

He went into the Airforce and had no trouble getting a secret clearance.  

This all happened over 35 years ago.

We are booked on an Alaska cruise that ends in Vancouver BC. In September 2025. So,we are trying to settle the questions of what his actual police record from NY state looks like.(we live in MA) and that's been quite a lot of hoops so far with no clear answers,and if it does end up listing a misdemeanor, can he get into Canada?

Anyone have any insight?

Unread replies
  9 hours ago, Shella73 said:

I am trying to research this topic on a few fronts.  What Canada law is and what my husband's actual record is from NY state.

In 1989, he was pulled over for speeding  allowed a search of the car,disclosed there was a knife,in the trunks tool box with a blade bigger than his palm.

They arrested him for weapons possession, 4th degree. 

The charges were eventually reduced to a misdemeanor and all he did was forfit the bail as a fine.

He went into the Airforce and had no trouble getting a secret clearance.  

This all happened over 35 years ago.

We are booked on an Alaska cruise that ends in Vancouver BC. In September 2025. So,we are trying to settle the questions of what his actual police record from NY state looks like.(we live in MA) and that's been quite a lot of hoops so far with no clear answers,and if it does end up listing a misdemeanor, can he get in to Canada?

We do know the ultimate decision is Canada's decision, what we are not so sure is if it really shows up as an arrest...it felt like a shake down..he was driven hours away from the site of infraction,"arraigned " in the middle of the night by the judge in his den. Bail had to be cash. His friend had to drive hours to find an ATM. He was put in the jumpsuit,fingerprinted,the officer even told him he would go as slow as possible to give his friend time to get back. He did have to return in a few weeks ,that is when the charges were reduced and bail forfeited. 

He remembered to tell the USAF recruiter about it,  in 1990, they tried to track it down,and couldn't  but got a waiver anyway that allowed him to enlist.

The only reason it's come up to either of our minds now is that we applied for TSA PRE CHECK within 24 hours of each other, my application had conditional approval in 24 hours. It has been 5 days and he still doesn't. He forgot to disclose the incident on the app,because he forgot all about it. And we wonder if it is showing up in some system now.

We tried calling the county it occurred in. They had a flood in 2011 and lost any record they may have had .So,I am trying to do my homework now instead of showing up at the pier and being shocked 

• United States                     United Kingdom                     Australia                 

Easiest way to find out… take a drive to the Canadian border. Even if he wasn’t charged it can show up on the system. A DUI from 30 years ago is plenty enough reason to get denied entry to Canada since we consider it a serious offence. 

You can apply to be allowed in however (like a pardon or something) but it does take time so it’s good your looking into this now. Have you tried contacting Canadian authorities? CBSA is our equivalent of CBP and would be my first stop to call up.

• Like 1

I thought about taking a drive to Montreal, it's about a 6 hour drive from home in MA, to see what happens. 

Part of applying to Canada for entry is we have to find out what the actual charge is. As I explained above  the circumstances of the arrest and charge are kind of fishy, the USAF couldn't find the records in 1993,we are having trouble tracking them down now,so we don't exactly know what we are asking for clemency for.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Aulanis said:

Maybe a cheap way to find more info  would be to apply for an ETA?

If that was rejected it would give a reason?

We tried to do that today, but since we are an exempt county resident (USA) the website won't let us. Itbwas a brilliant idea though. Thanks for trying. 

Darn, I tried,it found the right guy, it showed no record, however, in small print it showed that some states don't put criminal records in the public domain, and yes,NY is one of them. 

26 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

I tried it,it leads back to Truth finder,which I tried earlier.  That site finds no record of him at all. (Which is odd,since he's been in MA for 20 years, owns a home, has a parking ticket, lived in several states,enlisted in the USAF, and is on 4 birth certificates, not exactly  a hermit. )

1 hour ago, Aulanis said:

ok  - 

I am out of ideas,   hope you have success in finding the records  or 

"no record held "  and you get to go on your cruise. 

You have been great, thanks for trying.  I will keep you posted.