Quest in the Chilean Fjords

Mercruiser

I started a thread in the South America forum that may be of interest to Azamara passengers. We just completed a 2-hour detour to see a tidewater glacier in the Chilean Fjords. I think this shows one of the advantages of cruising Azamara, a cruise line that allows (and hopefully encourages) captains to make this kind of decision.

In contrast, Norwegian Sun, running the same itinerary as Quest, just sped on by.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for this. It does indeed show the big ship vs small ship differences and what can be done. We cruised that route in late 2018 on Quest and did the same thing. I will remember Norway for the same reason. No going out to sea. We were able to stay inside and avoid the rougher water. One of the reasons we could and larger ships couldn't is we could pass under the numerous power lines that crossed over the water every so often. 

The only thing I'd say.  Some captains more than others make a big play on it being "specially done" by them. Once you've done it a few times you realise they always say this!

BTW, Mercury was my very first cruise ship. A lot of happy memories. 

Phil 

• Like 4

Thanks Phil. Indeed, Mercury was my first cruise ship too, and as you deduced, the origin of my username.

This first cruise was on a Vancouver to Seward, AK itinerary. I especially enjoyed the "inside passage" experience on that cruise, particularly the Wrangell Narrows. Sadly, few cruise ships take that route anymore. As the ships get bigger, they seem to favor cruising in the open ocean instead. 

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 2

We enjoyed a wonderful evening at Aqualina tonight. Sure, I'd rather pay $35 than $50. But non the less, we had a wonderful evening. This was our view from our table (through the windows). This shows the very interesting scenery that you experience in the Chilean Fjords. 

PXL_20240127_214445668_RAW-01_COVER_Radiant_Photo.thumb.jpg.c99084d1249d1456083c337cfdaf7edb.jpg

Notice the shipwreck. This is probably why many ship captains prefer to cruise 30 miles off shore rather than navigating the narrow Fjords. In just a few minutes time, you can put your ship on the rocks in the Fjords. In contrast, you can sail in the wrong direction for over an hour offshore before hitting anything.

• Like 8

See my latest update on Quest here.

I was not surprised to see the Quest spent the most time in the Fjords. The big surprise to me was the supposedly Ultra Luxury Expedition Silver Nova ship spending so much time sailing offshore in rough waters, when she could be in the Fjords with great scenery and smooth water. 

• Like 1