First cruise!

COBEERGAL

11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Most states require 180 days but there is no such requirement in Nebraska. Here students get out the end of June and go back Labor Day week. It looks like Nebraska added weeks on to make it more like other states.

That is probably right. Also, most schools have air conditioning now.  Before I retired, we were generally going back the last week in August.  Without air conditioning, if we hit a heat spell, my classroom would get up to 95.  Not a lot of learning goes on then!  Even normal summer temps of 85 or so were very uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

That is probably right. Also, most schools have air conditioning now.  Before I retired, we were generally going back the last week in August.  Without air conditioning, if we hit a heat spell, my classroom would get up to 95.  Not a lot of learning goes on then!  Even normal summer temps of 85 or so were very uncomfortable.

Most of our schools now have a/c, but up until it was very hot the end of June and beginning of September. As a kid I’d remember teachers turning off the lights and putting on fans. And we weren’t allowed to wear shorts.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2024 at 6:04 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

I realize this is true in some areas, but here in Nebr. we literally have lost about 3 weeks.  Historically we got out about May 15 and went back to school around August 30--a few days either way.  This schedule was at least partly because we are a rural state and it fit the farming Calander better.  Farming is different now.

Now we get out around May 20 but go back around August 10.  It is possible that there are a few more days off during the school year, but not 3-4 weeks.

So kids used to have 10-15 days in May, all of June and July and almost all of August.  School used to start after the County Fairs were ove, which was usually the last weekend in August.  Now, County Fairs have had to reschedule in July because of the earlier school start.

On 5/19/2024 at 11:42 AM, mjkacmom said:

Most states require 180 days but there is no such requirement in Nebraska. Here students get out the end of June and go back Labor Day week. It looks like Nebraska added weeks on to make it more like other states.

Yes, we've always had 180 days.  It was true back when I was an elementary school kid in the 70s, and it's still true now.  Sounds like Nebraska may be different in some way.  

Our county fair has always been mid-September, when everyone's back in school.  In fact, we have two mid-week "School Nights":  free entrance tickets are passed out in the classrooms.  Those nights are always packed.  

• Like 1