buffer time needed for booking excursions and suggestion on white pass train tour

wsp2205

I am trying to book some excursions (not via Princess to save a few bucks), but wonder if I should leave some time to be safe than sorry in case of delays? Say if cruise schedules to arrive at Skagway at 7:00am, is it better to book the train/bus tour leaving at 9:30am instead of 7:30am? 

I read through threads in this forum on which white pass tour is better. It looks like many like train only round trip, but other like to see more with bus going all the way to carcross. we surely want to see more, but don't really like to have an assigned time limit at each stop (and some review says the stops are not so nicely designed that they had way too much time in boring stops and too little time in good stops). So I start to think if it is going to be crazy to book the round trip train ride to white pass. then book a car to drive all the way to see Bennett Lake, Emerald lake, etc.

3 questions here: 1. is this going to be an overkill and unnecessary? 2. will we even have enough time for this crazy itinerary? we will be in Skagway 7am - 8:30pm as was shown on cruise schedule. 3. is that drive scary with cliffs and drop-offs on the side? Thank you!

3 hours ago, wsp2205 said:

3 questions here: 1. is this going to be an overkill and unnecessary? 2. will we even have enough time for this crazy itinerary? we will be in Skagway 7am - 8:30pm as was shown on cruise schedule. 3. is that drive scary with cliffs and drop-offs on the side? Thank you!

You cannot drive to Lake  Bennett.  It is only accessible by train.  Have you booked a car yet?  They sell out quickly and are very expensive.  The road goes over the White Pass and is curvy with dropouts.  Why not book the Bennett Lake excursion with Chilkoot Charters?  Bus one way and train the other.  I believe they go to Emerald Lake but you can ask them.

• Like 1

The reason of a train + self drive combo is because I read through the detailed description of the longer 7-8 hour tour that goes to Bennett Lake, they all stop at each scenery stops for 10m and have 1.5 hour lunch break in a less interesting spot and there are a lot negative reviews for this schedule. So I start to go to the wildly and premature thought of a DYI setup that still allows train ride experience. 

Just did a random google search for car rental, it's available in June but very pricy for 1 day at $230 price point with no add-ons. but here is the math: train ride round trip (~$150*2)+ self drive ($230+$30gas?)=~$560. VS Bennett Lake excursion ($265*2=$530). Quite close for 2 people and if we can find more people to share car rental (this is probably what I will try for if we go for the DYI option), it's going to be cheaper. Maybe I am thinking the whole thing wrong? 

My crazy idea of train+self drive aside, anyone can help with the main question of this thread, which is is booking 7:30 tour too risky for a 7:00 port arrival (Princess) pls? thanks!

4 hours ago, wsp2205 said:

My crazy idea of train+self drive aside, anyone can help with the main question of this thread, which is is booking 7:30 tour too risky for a 7:00 port arrival (Princess) pls? thanks!

That depends on where you’re docked. You can find out here: https://claalaska.com/?page_id=1551

If you are docked at the railroad dock, no it won’t be enough time, as you will bus or tender off the dock. If you’re docked at the Broadway or ore dock you should be fine.

I would recommend Chilkoot Tours (combo tour): 

https://chilkootcharters.com/bennett-scenic-journey/

You can call them or email them and tell them what ship and date you are on and they will advise accordingly. There is not a rush to get off the ship at 7 am in Skagway. Most of the people on your tour will be on your ship.

-----

I have driven, I have taken the train trip RT, bus trip RT, combo tour through Chilkoot. I actually really like the combo trip. I would not do the train plus drive. It is like back tracking a lot.

Edited by Coral

Thank you both, wolfie11 and Coral! I gave up the crazy train+self drive plan and went ahead with the booking of 9:30 Bennett round trip before too late. Having a more leisurely scheduled morning outweighs the desire to see some downtown attractions during their business hours.  

• Thanks 1