Cape Liberty, Bayonne NJ????

lysolqn

Leaving from Cape Liberty in Bayonne for the first time. We'll be dropped off at the pier by either limo service or family member. Someone told me that for security reasons, cars can't get close to the terminal at Cape Liberty. Therefore, passengers are dropped off at a central location inside the port area and are then bussed to the ship. Is this the case or will the car be able to take us directly to the ship as in virtually all the other ports we've left from? How about pickup when we return? Thanks!

Cars can't get close to the ship...

You are dropped off at the Check in building... and then bussed to the Ship.

Upon return you are bussed from the ship to the baggage claim... and pick up is the same place you were dropped off.

Yes, you park or are dropped off by the check-in building. This building is located farther down the pier from the ship. Only a short bus ride straight down the pier.

We took a different cruise line from there last October. There was a lot of talk on the boards of cars left in the parking lot(for the length of the cruise) getting splattered with paint. Don't know if this is still a problem.

Also, our TA told us that there was free bus transportation from many points to the pier through Academy bus company. Others on the cruise had to ask, but were able to also take the bus for free. Don't know if NCL offers this or not.

Sorry, I meant don't know if Celebrity offers the free bus or not. Forgot which board I was on. Can't wait for my next Celebrity cruise. The free bus from many points in PA and New Jersey, and maybe elsewhere was through Royal Caribbean-owned by the same company.

We parked for free at the Academy bus terminal in Burlington, New Jersey.

We sailed out of Bayonne back in November on the Voyager of the Seas. We have been on six cruises, out of 5 different ports, and the Bayonne cruise terminal was the most efficient both on our arrival and our departure. I have never gotten on or off a ship so quickly. The Galveston/Princess terminal needs to take a lesson. On our most recent cruise it took us almost 3 hours to get through security and checked on to the ship. This was compared to the 15 minutes it took us at Bayonne. Enjoy your cruise!

Rusti

The situation in Bayonne is this. The ship doesn't berth next to the terminal.

So, folks are dropped out front and you walk into the terminal. You process through and then exit the back of the terminal. Then you are loaded onto these shuttles (not real buses.. more like airport rental car shuttles) and are taken to the ship.

Folks with mobility problems will enter the ship via the crew gangway.

The rest climb the staircase to enter the ship.

Wheelchairs are accommodated on the shuttles.

Celebrity provides free bus service from Northeast and Mid-Atlantic locations ONLY for Zenith's Bermuda sailings.

Bus transfers for Constellation sailings and Royal Caribbean sailings are available for purchase.

RCI has plans to make some serious adjustments to the terminal situation including substantial dredging and, rumor has it, to allow ships to dock next to the terminal.

The shuttle is really a "nothing" sort of thing. It is only a couple of minutes and is extremely low on the "hassle value" scale. It would be better if you didn't have to take it, but it will not adversely affect your embarkation.

I plan on using it again in a couple of weeks!

Celebrity provides free bus service from Northeast and Mid-Atlantic locations ONLY for Zenith's Bermuda sailings.QUOTE]

Hi OCNGYPZ! Good to see you back!

That may be true, but they want to charge something like $68 per person for bus tranportation from Long Island to Bayonne; up from $36 PP last year. I wonder why a bus from out of state is free but from the NY Metro area is not!

Rich

Celebrity provides free bus service from Northeast and Mid-Atlantic locations ONLY for Zenith's Bermuda sailings.QUOTE]

Hi OCNGYPZ! Good to see you back!

That may be true, but they want to charge something like $68 per person for bus tranportation from Long Island to Bayonne; up from $36 PP last year. I wonder why a bus from out of state is free but from the NY Metro area is not!

Rich

Because they want we folks out of state to sail! Last Oct the LI DSM just drove to the pier and parked.

Leaving from Cape Liberty in Bayonne for the first time. We'll be dropped off at the pier by either limo service or family member. Someone told me that for security reasons, cars can't get close to the terminal at Cape Liberty. Therefore, passengers are dropped off at a central location inside the port area and are then bussed to the ship. Is this the case or will the car be able to take us directly to the ship as in virtually all the other ports we've left from? How about pickup when we return? Thanks!

I don't think security has anything to do with it. In Manhattan the cars park on top of the pier right next to the ships. I think is logistical. Has to do with enough spaces to park and an existing building that is away from where the cruise ships dock. The cars park close to the building(you can also walk from the car to the check in building or take another shuttle bus). You will need to check in, wait in the building until the ship is ready to board and then take the shuttle-its not really that far. This is pretty much the same as everywhere where the cars drop you off by the check in area. At some other docks I have been at the ship was far away from the gate and shuttles were provided(St John's New foundland is one of those I think)

Archived