Sargassum heavy last week in Cozumel

bguppies

Went to Nachi this past Thursday and the Sargassum was pretty heavy on the beach. Don't know if it was from the storm that diverted us from Grand Cayman to Key West, but the shoreline was pretty deep in Sargassum earlier than we've seen in previous years.

Just a heads up for anyone traveling to Cozumel in the near future.

2 hours ago, bguppies said:

Went to Nachi this past Thursday and the Sargassum was pretty heavy on the beach. Don't know if it was from the storm that diverted us from Grand Cayman to Key West, but the shoreline was pretty deep in Sargassum earlier than we've seen in previous years.

Just a heads up for anyone traveling to Cozumel in the near future.

Unusual for it to affect the west coast but as I am sure you are aware we suffered the same fate on one of our visits to Nachi several years ago and then had a completely clear day in Costa Maya. All depends on the storms.  The winds and currents seem to have been bad the last few weeks. 

Whilst Nachi made a half-hearted attempt to clear it half-way through the day we were there  I got the impression because it is unusual they didn’t have the manpower or resources to make a real effort.

Sargassum is much more prevalent on the east side of Cozumel but again not much effort made to clear it since it is not where most tourist $$ are spent. It is unfortunate since the natural beauty of the east side is its main attraction when conditions are right.

I have read this is forecast to be a bad year again judging by the blooms in the Atlantic. Time will tell how much comes ashore but you are correct we have generally found February to be relatively clear. We have seen it in March. It seems like it is becoming more prevalent year round.

• Like 1

We had seen heavy Sargassum on one of our previous trips to Nachi, but if I remember, it was a trip in the springtime, so after many stops at Nachi in Dec-Feb, I was just surprised at the Sargassum so soon.

Didn't impact our day, but just thought I'd mention it, so it wouldn't be a shock to a first timer to one of the beach clubs.

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, Krazcruiser said:

What's it like now, I'll be at Paradise Beach first week of May 

The webcam at Presidente Intercontinental should be indicative of current conditions.

The one at the port doesn’t seem to be available currently.