Is this too risky?

goingcruizing

Hi, Is this possible or too risky?  Princess cruise docks back  at Southhampton  at 7am  and Royal caribbean leaves at 5pm from Southampton same day. I have never done a back to back let alone try one with 2 different cruise lines. Any advice welcome. Thankyou.

As peer my answer elsewhere...............

No, not risky - no more so than, say, booking a mid-evening flight home after the Princess cruise.

If the Princess cruise is between April & October it's unlikely to be delayed by the weather at sea and Southampton is a reliable port, sheltered by the Isle of Wight - one of the reasons why it's so successful.

Of course any ship can encounter mechanical issues which might delay it altho getting to the turnaround port on time takes precedence over ports-of-call - but without increasing your concern unnecessarily, where is the first port-of-call for the RCI ship? The UK, or mainland Europe or further afield ?

Since this isn't a b2b on the same ship you'll have a gap between when you must disembark Princess & earliest time to register & board RCI  - whether you'll have time to explore Southampton may depend on whether you can deposit your bags early at the RCI terminal.

RCI's usual terminal (berth 101, City Cruise Terminal)  is only a 10 to 15 minute walk from the city centre & the few sights of old-town.

No worries 

JB 🙂

• Like 1

The Holiday Inn which is very close to the docks offer day rooms. We did this once when we had an evening flight from Southampton airport and it was great. Cost around £50 but worth it to store bags, rest, shower and watch a bit of tv instead of sitting in the airport all day waiting to check in. Different circumstances I know but an option for the OP. 

• 4 weeks later...

If you disembark as late as possible you can get a taxi to the next berth.  You could just sit in the foyer of any of the big local hotels and get drinks at the bar to kill time if you are running too early for the next ship,

Regards John

• Haha 1

Sounds perfect! I would definitely do this! There is of course always a very very small chance of an issue but I'm thinking a really far fetched scenario here where MSC doesn't / can't dock that day and RC already has and then can leave but very very unlikely!

You should be absolutely fine and have a blast!