Behind the scenes tour

I’ve done them on the Joy and Getaway. Both as paid and as a Latitude perk (one was a gift from my son and I didn’t have the heart to tell him I got it for free). The paid one (Joy) was longer and I saw a bit more (or the tour was simply different than the Latitude tour on Getaway. Who knows?)

They take 90 minutes to two hours. I personally found them fascinating. It’s like the behind the scenes tour at Disney World….there is a whole world operating below decks. The main galley, laundry, cold storage areas, theatre, crew mess and bridge were included in the paid tour. We met with staff from several different departments who answered questions….they gave us a commemorative photo with the head chef.

I’m intrigued by this kind of stuff so I enjoyed it. Going on Getaway again in approximately a week and will do the Latitude tour version again….. It’s a personal value judgement as to the $139 cost. It’s not cheap, but I guarantee you will come out of it with a new appreciation and understanding of what it takes to operate these ships. I’d spend $139…..my wife would spend $17. Who’s right? (well obviously she is, but you get my point).

I did the free tour for Platinum members, on the Joy last May, which I believe is shorter than the paid tour. It was interesting, a couple of things to keep in mind. There were 24 people in our group, Some of the areas are noisy. Trying to hear/understand some one with a soft voice, accent, or not being right next to the various people who give the tour can affect your enjoyment. I will go on the free tour, but would not pay the $139 X 2 people. But that is just me. If you want to hear the tour guides, stay close. 

i've done the free tour for elite latitudes members ever since i became eligible for it. it's essentially the same tour on every ship. typically, you'll be going to the laundry, an MDR galley and the backstage area of the main theatre (which often includes the wings, one or more dressing rooms, a costume maintenance area and - sometimes - the stage itself). you'll also typically be taken down the main traffic corridor (affectionately dubbed "I-95"). on the prima, a short visit to the crew bar was added. on the getaway recently, the tour included a visit to two theatres, the main theatre and the illusionarium.

the paid tour usually includes a trip to the bridge, which has tremendous appeal for some.

i'm fine with the "free" tour; i wouldn't pay $139 for a behind the scenes tour, but i've already seen much of this on other ships. it might be worth it for somebody who hasn't. the only time I would consider the paid tour is if I was traveling with somebody who didn't have status and so couldn't go with me on the free tour.

it's been mentioned that certain areas, particularly the galley and especially the laundry, can be really loud, which may affect your ability to hear what's being said. also, not all the tour guides (who are almost always cruise next consultants) and their designated speakers in each area are good public speakers and know how to address a crowd and keep them interested and motivated. so, yeah, there is that.

My DH did it in August on the Bliss in Alaska.  He loved it and was brimming with fun facts for the rest of our journey.  He especially enjoyed the galley and seeing how it all worked.   At the end he got a cute photo in the kitchen with some giant whisks.  I would say if you've ever worked back of the house in hospitality or want to be on the bridge then this is for you.   

I am glad that we didn't go at a team because he really enjoyed sharing all that he learned and his photos - which he was allowed to take plenty.