Inexpensive but good underwater camera?

Hi.  Does anyone have a good recommendation for an inexpensive but good underwater camera?  It would only be used a handful of times a year at most snorkeling, in the ocean, or at the pool.  For many years I had the waterproof Canon (like D30) and prior versions and they were great and I used it also for my everyday camera but it doesn't appear they make them anymore.  Plus I now either use my iPhone or a more expensive non-waterproof camera for "above water" photos.  I do NOT want a case for the iPhone or a housing case for a regular camera to be used underwater. 

I'd like to stay under $200, mainly as this camera won't get a lot of use.  I see Amazon has a lot in the $60-$100 range, but some of the bad reviews scare me off!

So looking to see if anyone here has recently purchased one that they recommend.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Hate to say it but not sure I have any recommendations in your price point. What I will say is I have an Olympus Tough TG5 that is an absolutely stellar waterproof point and shoot, been using the thing for years and it is bulletproof. They are now available in newer models as OM systems Tough TG6 and TG7, although it may be possible to pick up a used older model like mine in your price point. Works great as a little pocketable point and shoot that I use when I don’t want to take out my pro gear for general above water photography too. Alternatively you might want to look at Ricoh/Pentax compact offerings, they have a handful of waterproof cameras in their lineup that are also well spoken of. 

I transitioned away from go pros to my tough and the image quality is much nicer, faster aperture, has more manual controls available and I always hated the ultra wide fish eye look that action cams had. The model I have is a proper camera that has a more traditional wide to telephoto zoom and offers good quality photos and 4k video. 

On 2/15/2024 at 11:55 AM, cruiseequalsfun said:

Hi.  Does anyone have a good recommendation for an inexpensive but good underwater camera?  It would only be used a handful of times a year at most snorkeling, in the ocean, or at the pool.  For many years I had the waterproof Canon (like D30) and prior versions and they were great and I used it also for my everyday camera but it doesn't appear they make them anymore.  Plus I now either use my iPhone or a more expensive non-waterproof camera for "above water" photos.  I do NOT want a case for the iPhone or a housing case for a regular camera to be used underwater. 

I'd like to stay under $200, mainly as this camera won't get a lot of use.  I see Amazon has a lot in the $60-$100 range, but some of the bad reviews scare me off!

So looking to see if anyone here has recently purchased one that they recommend.  Thanks in advance.

A decent underwater camera is the Nikon Coolpix AW100  https://amzn.to/3T7iGzP

A better camera I use is the Nikon 300 https://amzn.to/42Jv9Ne

They are both pretty simple to use and give you good results

Two other cameras which I have both is the DJI Action 4 or the GoPro 11 or 12. Both of which will give you excellent results  

https://amzn.to/49mQlef

https://amzn.to/49grngG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...