Excursion Booking Questions

GardenYogi

First time on Viking Ocean.  I’ve read a lot of posts about the excursion booking process, but still have 2 questions —

• On the day the excursion bookings open up for us, what time do they open?   12:01am?  Time zone?
  • If our first choice is sold out, I know to keep checking to see if something opens up.  If we booked our 2nd choice and later our 1st choice did open up, then it seems we’d need to cancel the 2nd choice booking before we could try to book the 1st choice that opened up.  How easy is it to cancel an excursion booking?   Or is it better to just book nothing for that stop and hope for the 1st choice to open up?
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, GardenYogi said:

First time on Viking Ocean.  I’ve read a lot of posts about the excursion booking process, but still have 2 questions —

• On the day the excursion bookings open up for us, what time do they open?   12:01am?  Time zone?
  • If our first choice is sold out, I know to keep checking to see if something opens up.  If we booked our 2nd choice and later our 1st choice did open up, then it seems we’d need to cancel the 2nd choice booking before we could try to book the 1st choice that opened up.  How easy is it to cancel an excursion booking?   Or is it better to just book nothing for that stop and hope for the 1st choice to open up?

The date and time of the opening is in MVJ on the Shore Excursions page. They open at Noon Pacific Time. 
Example:

image.thumb.png.ebcf7084077adb83fdfcb63cfcab0a6f.png

Cancelling is easy. You will be credited by the same method you paid. You may cancel up to 48 hours before the excursion. Be aware that MVJ closes before your departure, so while you can still cancel onboard, you won’t be able to cancel any tours scheduled for your first full day onboard.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

You would be wise to book your second choice.  Remember to select and pay for your excursion individually.  It helps to have a list of excursions by priority, and second choices, and have your credit card number copied and ready to paste.  Having two screens is very beneficial and saves time switching windows.

Cancelling an excursion and rebooking is easy on MVJ. Simply click on the reservation you want to cancel, (either from the calendar page or excursions page,) and click Cancel reservation.  Then immediately book the one you want by putting it in your cart and paying just as you originally did. I’ve also done this over the phone, but most recently, the phone agent directed me to DIY. Constantly check for availability of your preferred excursion. You can sometimes find an opening onboard with guest services. Don’t give up! 

Sometimes the My Viking Journey date/time for excursions is accurate, sometimes they open earlier. (Same for specialty restaurant reservations.)

If you are in DV or V check every few hours starting the day before. You want to take full advantage of what is available. If you are in PV try to reserve the first day but you probably won't have problems (except for excursions with limited capacity). If you are in a suite don't worry -- just reserve before the PV gets a chance.

Get the optional first. If you miss an included Viking will get you on the excursion once you are on the ship. If you miss an optional keep watching. On board ask if there is a wait list, and keep checking if there isn't a wait list.