Shared water taxis in Venice

hbbae

I would be interested in any feedback about the use of shared water taxis in Venice, between the airport and a hotel.  Were they reliable?  Timely?  Did you wish you had taken a private water taxi or the Alilaguna vaporetto instead?  Thank you!

I actually did take a private water taxi TO the airport.  Sorry, I can't help with the shared ones but honestly, while not cheap, it was timely, and kind of fun.  (I was solo so it was pricey but I figured YOLO and I'm an overpacker and this was way easier then Alilaguna.  I prebooked for both pickup at Tronchetto to my hotel and from the hotel back to the airport.  ( I changed hotels and did a 3rd private water taxi).  If you're entertaining one from Tronchetto (Venice City Center) to a hotel, I'd strongly suggest prebooking.  Several people wanted to get them and the ones that pulled up had been reserved.  I jumped into my boat while others on the dock were trying to figure out how to use their phones in Italy.  😄 

You are only allowed 1 suitcase per person though and if you're at a hotel on an inner canal, the shared ones don't go there if I understand correctly.

Thanks very much for sharing your experience - actually, I’ve taken private water taxis in Venice before, both to and from an airport - and I loved the experience, it reminded me of movies and made me feel “glamorous”.  But at that time, the cost of it was bundled into the overall price of the tour/cruise - so I didn’t “see” it.  Now I am making independent arrangements to join a tour that is originating elsewhere, and the 140 euro cost each way for getting to and from the airport isn’t sitting well with me - I think I’d rather spend that money on a performance at La Fenice, or some nice dinners, or shopping.  The shared option (about 40 euros each way) seemed like a nice middle point between private and vaporetto - I’ve seen a few reviews, mostly positive but wanted to ask here also, 

The tour organizer is offering to pre-book the private water taxi for me.  My understanding is that if water levels are too high?  too low?, the private taxi would drop me at Rialto, and I’d have to walk 5-10 minutes and over a small bridge to reach my hotel - which I think is what the shared taxi would be doing anyway.  So if that’s the case … why pay the premium, if there is no guarantee that it would take me directly to the hotel?  In any event, it’s a lot of money … and I’ve done it before … so I’m just considering the options.  Thanks for the reminder to pack light!

Thank you - I’d looked at the Venicelink site earlier, but only now am I noticing this language, re the upcharge for a solo traveler - 

The service is reservable for minimum 2 people. However, if you're travelling alone and are interested to book an Venice Shuttle water taxi, have to pay at least 50 euro like a two people service reservation or your request won't be accepted.

If anyone has used Venice Shuttle in the past, please let me know if yours was an ok experience - thank you!