Beware of using charging station in stateroom for scooter

This just happened to us on the Apex and probably applies to other newer Celebrity ships as well – or at least any that have charging stations in the staterooms.

My husband rents a scooter, which he had for our cruise on the Apex this month. There is a charging station in the stateroom for your phones, Kindles, etc plus it has a couple of 110 plug-ins. We were using this to charge his scooter every night but by the middle of our cruise, the scooter barely had any charge left. I report the problem of the scooter not charging to Guest Services. They said Hotel Services would check to see if there were any spare scooters we could use. No, there were no spare scooters (which I thought was odd since I thought there typically was at least a couple of extras on the ship).  At least we had my husband's wheelchair so I assumed we were going to be using that the rest of the cruise, much to his dismay.

Then our room steward shows up and tells us to plug the scooter into the bathroom outlet (which I didn't even know existed; it was under the vanity) or any other outlet in the stateroom. The scooter recharged itself rather quickly using a wall outlet.

The 110 plug-ins in the charging stations do not charge like the wall plug-ins.  I believe they may be trickle chargers.

So, if you're on a ship and have a charging station in your stateroom, be aware you may not be getting enough of a charge for a scooter.  Plug it into a wall outlet instead.

Charging Station Apex ...jpg

Charging Station Apex.jpg

• Like 2

I mentioned to the room steward that there should be a sign on the charging station to not charge scooters with it and to charge scooters using a wall outlet.    

There would be lots of people with scooters in this stateroom since it was an accessible stateroom....