Tortola excursions?

Vdegeorge

I have done the Long Bay Beach on my own.  There are numerous cabs that will take you there.  One of the best beaches in the Caribbean.  Gorda is over rated IMHO.  Big rocks on a beach.  The beach day at Long Bay Beach was probably my all time favorite beach excursion.  Not touristy, not crowded, friendly and affordable chairs and accommodations, and beautiful. 

• Like 1

Look into a catamaran to Jost Van Dyke.  Stay on beach near but down from world famous Soggy Dollar Bar.  That way you can enjoy all the bars and beach but not so much the crowd.  Beach is beautiful and has great sand.

• Like 2

To answer your questions, Yes and Yes! 
However without your ship and port date you might miss out on really helpful advice…Please share that info.

In the mean time this thread gives you a brief description of the more popular BVI beaches…

• Like 1

Ok, you are in port on 4/25 from 6 - 2. So an early port time, but you are the only ship scheduled for Tortola that day.

Depending on how early you want to disembark?

To go to the Baths on Virgin Gorda, the best option is Sensations 6:45 ferry over, and a Speedy’s 10:40 ferry back to Tortola. That gives you just 2.5 hrs, not worth the trip IMHO…~$50/pp…

Similarly the Horizons ferry to Jost Van Dyke (8:00 over, 12:00 back, would give you  <2.5 hrs of free time in White Bay…~$50/pp…You can enjoy a nice beach on Tortola without the travel time…

I’d either

1) Take a shared island tour of Tortola (there are shared safari taxi tours offered at the dock), or a private tour with A.C.’s Taxi. 
Or

2) Head to one of the gorgeous Tortola beaches listed in the Gorgeous Beaches thread. 

If you want a beach with the busiest vibe, CGB.

If you want a gorgeous beach with just 1 beach bar and a less busy vibe, Brewers Bay.

If you want a picture postcard beach, look at Long Bay, West End.

It sounds like @david_sobe went to Long Bay, Beef Island where the cruise line has an excursion to and provides some amenities.

And of course many of your fellow passengers will be taking excursions through the cruise line. These typically cost more and give you less time in a destination, but provide a bit more security for those folks…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vdegeorge said:

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to help us plan our day! I truly appreciate all of your advice and knowledge!! I am very grateful!!

Sure! And I forgot to add in the taxi fare between the cruise dock and the West  End ferry to Jost if you are considering that…Add another ~$32/pp…

If you do go to Long Beach Bay, stay away from the cruise line touristy excursion. It costs money and they have the chairs stacked on top of each other.  The taxis take you to a much more secluded part and its free. They will charge you for a chair and it includes wi-fi.  They have a bar and grill there.  There must have only been about 20 people around us.  It was heaven.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

If you do go to Long Beach Bay, stay away from the cruise line touristy excursion. It costs money and they have the chairs stacked on top of each other.  The taxis take you to a much more secluded part and its free. They will charge you for a chair and it includes wi-fi.  They have a bar and grill there.  There must have only been about 20 people around us.  It was heaven.

@david_sobe, Just to eliminate any confusion, you are referring to Long Bay, Beef Island, correct? On the east end of the island?

They will charge you for a chair and it includes wi-fi.  They have a bar and grill there.”

By “they”, are you referring to the cruise line excursion group? Or the separate area where there is a beach bar & grill? 

Thanks 😉

53 minutes ago, blue_water said:

@david_sobe, Just to eliminate any confusion, you are referring to Long Bay, Beef Island, correct? On the east end of the island?

They will charge you for a chair and it includes wi-fi.  They have a bar and grill there.”

By “they”, are you referring to the cruise line excursion group? Or the separate area where there is a beach bar & grill? 

Thanks 😉

The beach the taxis drop you off at has chairs for rent and a bar and grill.  Its not affiliated with any cruise line. I think we paid $15 for a chair which was insanely a great deal plus the cost of the cab fare.  The drinks were so affordable and was floored they allowed people to drink from beer bottles on the beach.  I sat in this beach chair at a secluded beach with a bucket of Corona.  I was in a dream.

Ok…Maybe someone else can help confirm this is Long Bay, East?

That beach had zero amenities (no bar or grill, no lounges, Etc) until the cruise lines started taking guests there 3 - 5 years ago…We’ve not been since so just curious if we’re talking the same Long Bay. They must have a vendor there now serving food and drinks…

The other Long Bay is home to a resort and beach cabanas and you didn’t see that right?

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2024 at 11:31 AM, blue_water said:

Sure! And I forgot to add in the taxi fare between the cruise dock and the West  End ferry to Jost if you are considering that…Add another ~$32/pp…

Thank you for being so helpful. You mentioned in another post it is $50pp to take the ferry and then above the tax is $32pp. Is this one way or round trip?  Thank you.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, rcprncss said:

Thank you for being so helpful. You mentioned in another post it is $50pp to take the ferry and then above the tax is $32pp. Is this one way or round trip?  Thank you.

Roundtrip for 1 person, at the 2-person rate…

The $50 earlier included the $40 ferry + $5 taxi between Great Harbor. That may be $6/pp, not sure… But the $32/pp taxi between the dock and ferry was not included there…

To clarify,

The taxi fare from the cruise dock to West End depends on the number of people. For 2 ppl the taxi fare is $32/pp roundtrip.

The ferry is $40/pp roundtrip.

The taxi fare for 2ppl between Great Harbor and White Bay ($10 - $12/pp roundtrip).

So for 2 ppl, the total (PER PERSON) is ~$32 + 40 + $12 = $84, Orr $160 for a couple (+ taxi tips)

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1