Noordam Viewing Spaces

ksmetamaid

I am starting over again with questions about outdoor viewing spaces on Holland America ships, this time on the Noordam.  For those of you who answered my question last week about the same topic regarding the Zaandam, thank you. I am keeping track of your comments on that thread.

For our Alaska cruise (now looking at the Noordam rather than the Zaandam), we will be booking an inside cabin, which I know isn't ideal, but we've decided to spend our dollars on excursions rather than upgrading our cabins.  So I'm very interested in:

1.  Which decks have cabins that would have easy access to outdoor viewing, ideally on either side of the ship.  One recommendation on the other thread was for deck 4. Anyone else have a suggestion?

2.  Are any of these promenades or viewing decks covered in case weather is inclement?  One thing I saw on a very old thread about the Zaandam was that at least one of the main promenades was covered, which could be very helpful with Alaska and having an inside cabin.  But I haven't heard that yet, at least, about the Noordam.

Thanks in advance.

The Noordam had a wonderful promenade deck on 3 with chaises. It is covered but if you stand by the railing and it is raining you will get wet.   They also open the bow if you are going to Glacier Bay.  If it is cold you can go to the crow's nest.  Also,  you can see  everything from the seaview pool area as well which isn't as windy as the bow.  In Glacier Bay the ranger comes on board and gives a commentary that is projected in all the outside areas.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The seven inside cabins on deck 10 forward would be a good choice.  You are just steps from the Crow's Nest (perfect for warm viewing), and then walk one deck down to the Lido Pool area which has great viewing.

Screenshot_20240227_100014_Navigator.jpg

• Thanks 1

We like using the glass dome covered Lido area for leisurely viewing in Alaska, even if we have a balcony cabin. It feels like a toasty sun room when the glass dome is closed, which is will be for many Alaska cruises.  

Chairs and tables lined up to look out the windows instead of towards the pool. Occasional need to wipe the fog off the glass if it gets too steamy. But a great place to warm up and get something to eat, while not missing any passing scenery.

Honestly,  there is no problem finding viewing areas on the smaller HAL ships, whether indoors, covered or outside. Only the brand new Pinnacle class ships short-change you on covered promenade viewing areas, because they are so narrow. 

When you reach a particularly spectacular area, they have always opened up the forward bow deck where large crowds can gather and they hand out hot soup because it is windy and exposed. Just dress for this and you will be fine. If you need extra protection, every port in Alaska has packets to sell with additional scarves, hats and gloves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1