Iceland What Camera

Going to Iceland in July, not really booking many excursions except the Golden Circle, don’t want to be lumbered with a heavy camera but want to record our trip (photo not video).

Own three cameras all Panasonic G9, GX8 and GX80, thinking the 8 due to its weather sealing plus the panny leica 12-60. Also considering buying TZ200, what would you suggest/choose. 

I am not familiar with your camera models but for reference, the images from the Iceland part of our 2019 Ireland/Iceland trip were shot with the 24mm-105mm zoom a bit over 90% of the time.

Lots of big scenery.

Ireland-Iceland%202019-0805-3600w.webp

Dave

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 9:09 PM, pierces said:

I am not familiar with your camera models but for reference, the images from the Iceland part of our 2019 Ireland/Iceland trip were shot with the 24mm-105mm zoom a bit over 90% of the time.

Lots of big scenery.

Ireland-Iceland%202019-0805-3600w.webp

Dave

That's a great take

• 2 months later...

I am taking an OM-5 to Iceland and Greenland in September.  I like that it is more water/rain resistant than some other cameras.

I currently have the following lenses

9 - 18

14 - 150

75 - 300

I want to take pics of scenery in Iceland (possibly some wildlife), and HOPEFULLY the Northern Lights. Greenland is where I really hope to see polar bears etc I will be on an expedition ship for 16 nights and going up the east coast of Greenland.

Do I have the right equipment?  thinking I need to invest in a tripod as well.

2 hours ago, AusMum said:

I am taking an OM-5 to Iceland and Greenland in September.  I like that it is more water/rain resistant than some other cameras.

I currently have the following lenses

9 - 18

14 - 150

75 - 300

I want to take pics of scenery in Iceland (possibly some wildlife), and HOPEFULLY the Northern Lights. Greenland is where I really hope to see polar bears etc I will be on an expedition ship for 16 nights and going up the east coast of Greenland.

Do I have the right equipment?  thinking I need to invest in a tripod as well.

I'm not that familiar with Olympus/OM Systems gear and never been in Greenland, but at least the focal lengths of your lenses cover most needs. If you want to do any long exposure photography (for example auroras) you definately want to have a tripod, although I have to mention that tripods may not work for long exposures aboard a ship as there is always more or less shaking. Also I think your lenses may be a bit slow aperture wise, so for low light situations (and especially for nighttime photography) that could be a problem.

4 minutes ago, Hezu said:

I'm not that familiar with Olympus/OM Systems gear and never been in Greenland, but at least the focal lengths of your lenses cover most needs. If you want to do any long exposure photography (for example auroras) you definately want to have a tripod, although I have to mention that tripods may not work for long exposures aboard a ship as there is always more or less shaking. Also I think your lenses may be a bit slow aperture wise, so for low light situations (and especially for nighttime photography) that could be a problem.

If I have the opportunity to see the northern lights (on land) in Iceland, what lense would you suggest?

Back in 2022 in Norway, I used my Oly 12-100 f/4 mostly zoomed out to 12 mm

This was shooting hand held for 2 second exposures - lots of moonlight and clouds, so longer exposures would not have been too useful. Stars and power lines were sharp, so 2 seconds was within my [image stabilized] hand held limits. I tended to take a shot, and then review to see if there were any aurora colors.

If your trip is scheduled when there is little or no moonlight, then a tripod would be useful - along with the camera's "live bulb" mode.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 1:13 PM, AusMum said:

If I have the opportunity to see the northern lights (on land) in Iceland, what lense would you suggest?

I would use the 9-18mm for the aurora, you need as wide an angle as possible. It's a brilliant lens for Iceland actually, I had this on my first trip (alongside the Panasonic 14-140mm) and I much preferred the wide angle look of the 9-18mm.

Just keep in mind it's not weather-sealed from what I remember, and Iceland in September (actually, pretty much at any time of the year) can be very, very wet and windy. I've never been as wet as on my two land-based tours of Iceland (one in late Sept/early October, one Feb/March).

On my most recent trip I had the 9mm prime from Panasonic (MicroFourThirds lenses are generally interchangeable between Olympus and Panasonic, I use Panasonic cameras but some of my favourite lenses are Olympus) along and it was perfect for the aurora, you need that very wide angle ideally.