Regent unable to provide Reykjavik hotel and transfers

52 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

Whether it's a Flybus or a Regent-arranged bus, it's a bus. The luggage goes into the same storage area on the bus. If you need the "luxury" of a private car, there are plenty of options for that too, but you still have to schlep the bags to the car. 

I don’t care about the size of the vehicle. What matters is that it takes me directly from airport to my hotel. So to get an equivalent service to a Regent transfer I need to take a taxi or private car.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaveA said:

I don’t care about the size of the vehicle. What matters is that it takes me directly from airport to my hotel. So to get an equivalent service to a Regent transfer I need to take a taxi or private car.

Exactly - well said.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DaveA said:

I agree Regent should have done more.

Having said that, the difference between a shuttle bus and a taxi is about $100. No matter what, your vacation and your health and not worth impacting over that small amount given the amount you spent on the cruise. Yes, Regent should have done more. Yes, if I were the TA I would pay it myself. But at the end of the day, you don't let $100 raise your BP or ruin your trip. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I agree Regent should have done more.

Having said that, the difference between a shuttle bus and a taxi is about $100. No matter what, your vacation and your health and not worth impacting over that small amount given the amount you spent on the cruise. Yes, Regent should have done more. Yes, if I were the TA I would pay it myself. But at the end of the day, you don't let $100 raise your BP or ruin your trip. 

Yes, it’s a small amount and I certainly won’t let it affect my health or enjoyment of the cruise. I guess where we differ is in how we respond to large companies treating customers badly.

19 minutes ago, DaveA said:

Yes, it’s a small amount and I certainly won’t let it affect my health or enjoyment of the cruise. I guess where we differ is in how we respond to large companies treating customers badly.

What's the difference in this case? I agree they should have given more. 

8 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

What's the difference in this case? I agree they should have given more. 

The difference seems to be that you, and most others, accept the injustice whereas I am trying to fight back, however slim my chance of success.

• Like 1

Just now, DaveA said:

The difference seems to be that you, and most others, accept the injustice whereas I am trying to fight back, however slim my chance of success.

I disagree. If I had personal stake, I would call my Account Rep at Regent and get more. If that didn't work, I would pay the difference. I have previously stated that people affected should get their TA to contact their AR and seek greater compensation. There is no other "fight". You aren't going to sue them and win as I don't think they have violated their contract in the USA. You won't find an attorney who will take this case...even if you pay them upfront. The "fight" is not coercing behavior from Regent but healing the perceptions of the client...making them "whole" again. The "victory" is such a small amount of money that it is easier to pay it (from my perspective) than to spend an hour on the phone with Regent. My time is worth a lot more than $100/hour and there is no satisfactory energy/reward ratio in playing Sisyphus in this fight.

Now...in the UK, the situation might be different. You have different consumer protection laws. I am pretty certain your TA can apply this leverage to secure you a couple of hundred pounds...and I hope you get it as I feel you deserve it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DaveA said:

The Flybus service includes drop-offs at many of the major hotels in town. 

Just now, GMIAC said:

The Flybus service includes drop-offs at many of the major hotels in town. 

Sort of. Wait at airport for Flybus to Reykjavik bus station, then take off luggage and wait for a minibus to a bus stop close to hotel.

1 minute ago, DaveA said:

Sort of. Wait at airport for Flybus to Reykjavik bus station, then take off luggage and wait for a minibus to a bus stop close to hotel.

Not quite: "Most hotels have a convenient city bus stop mere footsteps from their entrance. The Flybus can drop you off at a number of these bus stops, or directly at some of the major hotels across the city.."

It's not just the additional cost of the taxi transfer, it's the fact that those affected paid the substantial extra cost of Concierge for no benefit, the cost of the taxi from the hotel to the ship ( I do not think there is any public transport) and the hassle of having to make our own arrangements when we had paid Regent for this.

As stated, the legal and consumer rights position differs between the USA and the UK as does the role of the TA. This is sold as a package holiday in the UK and the customer is entitled to a full refund if Regent fails to deliver any element of the package. I guess this is why they are offering the Courtyard by Marriott, they will say this fulfils the promise of a pre-cruise stay, even though it is 50km from Reykjavik.

I think things must have changed a lot in Regent since we last cruised with them pre-covid. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

Not quite: "Most hotels have a convenient city bus stop mere footsteps from their entrance. The Flybus can drop you off at a number of these bus stops, or directly at some of the major hotels across the city.."

From the Flybus site FAQs:

Where does the Flybus stop?

The main stop is BSÍ Bus Terminal, in the centre of Reykjavik. Onward transfers are available for Flybus+ passengers from BSÍ Bus Terminal to selected hotels, guesthouses and designated bus stops. The Flybus driver will ask you to board a smaller bus for these hotel transfers.

Question: is Regent taking those who elect the airport Courtyard Mariott to the ship?

And onboard, all have the chance to fill out cruise satisfaction survey. That’s a good place for a start to express your complaints.

37 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Question: is Regent taking those who elect the airport Courtyard Mariott to the ship?

And onboard, all have the chance to fill out cruise satisfaction survey. That’s a good place for a start to express your complaints.

The best place to start is with your TA as soon as you got the notification. Let them go to work on their Account Rep from Day One. The AR has the power to place credits on the account and will provide direct feedback to a very senior member of the Corporate team.

• Thanks 1

“The volcano won’t make the cruise impossible, unless there's an ash cloud or something that stops people flying anywhere.  Only a fraction of the cruise is in Iceland, so Regent would have to either start it late, or, more likely, start itsomewhere else.”

Our entire cruise is Iceland. July 5-15. We also have no hotel or transfers even though we specifically purchased a concierge cabin for this benefit. We have not been offered anything beyond the $300 credit.

6 hours ago, Pcardad said:

…There is no other "fight".

Now...in the UK, the situation might be different. You have different consumer protection laws. I am pretty certain your TA can apply this leverage to secure you a couple of hundred pounds...and I hope you get it as I feel you deserve it.

22 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I just noticed that Regent is still advertising Reykjavik departing cruises (concierge and above) on it web site as including transfers and hotel. What!?

We do indeed have different laws, and arguably better protections. MyTA has been unable to get Regent to improve their offer. Regent are unquestionably contravening the UK Package Travel and Linked Arrangements regulations, so that is one avenue I am exploring. Complaining to the UK Advertising Standards Authority about knowingly false advertising is another.

Litigation is certainly unrealistic, but leveraging UK agencies to advise Regent of the errors of their ways, with the associated possibility of adverse publicity is not.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DaveA said:

We do indeed have different laws, and arguably better protections. MyTA has been unable to get Regent to improve their offer. Regent are unquestionably contravening the UK Package Travel and Linked Arrangements regulations, so that is one avenue I am exploring. Complaining to the UK Advertising Standards Authority about knowingly false advertising is another.

Litigation is certainly unrealistic, but leveraging UK agencies to advise Regent of the errors of their ways, with the associated possibility of adverse publicity is not.

Looking forward to the results of this undertaking...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Looking forward to the results of this undertaking...

I will report back, but don’t hold your breath. I know my chances of achieving anything are slim but I’ll feel better for trying and will probably learn a few things along the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do any hotels in Reykjavik have airport transfers included? I am a bit confused on what monetary compensation Regent offers. At the start of this thread, I understood it to be 300 British Pounds, translating to $380 USD. My research indicates that $380 USD will get a number of hotels there. So, unless I am in error somewhere, the main problem is transfers from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship. So, it seems to me that we aren’t talking about very much money damages from Regent’s breach. BUT, the fact that Regent is, as of today, still advertising “free hotel and transfers” on these cruises is quasi criminal. This is fraud, as Regent knows, or should know, that this isn’t the case. I’m going to be on the Splendor next week. The hotel and transfer situation is fine on this cruise. But unless somebody corrects my calculations, I will contact the GM and confront him with this situation re Reykjavik. In the US, Regent  may, or may not, be protected from a contract breach action  by the T&Cs (never read the T&C, too fine a print for most Regent guests to read). But whatever the T&Cs say, they cannot protect against an action for fraud in any court where the guest lives in the US.  I’ll do nothing about this mess, as I haven’t been damaged by it. Consider this to be free legal advice — maybe worth what you paid  for it. And we love Regent cruises. Just don’t want them to go down that “slippery slope” into mass market status, as too many other lines have gone.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Do any hotels in Reykjavik have airport transfers included? I am a bit confused on what monetary compensation Regent offers. At the start of this thread, I understood it to be 300 British Pounds, translating to $380 USD. My research indicates that $380 USD will get a number of hotels there. So, unless I am in error somewhere, the main problem is transfers from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship. So, it seems to me that we aren’t talking about very much money damages from Regent’s breach. BUT, the fact that Regent is, as of today, still advertising “free hotel and transfers” on these cruises is quasi criminal. This is fraud, as Regent knows, or should know, that this isn’t the case. I’m going to be on the Splendor next week. The hotel and transfer situation is fine on this cruise. But unless somebody corrects my calculations, I will contact the GM and confront him with this situation re Reykjavik. In the US, Regent  may, or may not, be protected from a contract breach action  by the T&Cs (never read the T&C, too fine a print for most Regent guests to read). But whatever the T&Cs say, they cannot protect against an action for fraud in any court where the guest lives in the US.  I’ll do nothing about this mess, as I haven’t been damaged by it. Consider this to be free legal advice — maybe worth what you paid  for it. And we love Regent cruises. Just don’t want them to go down that “slippery slope” into mass market status, as too many other lines have gone.

Why would you discuss this with the GM of Splendor. He has absolutely nothing to do with off-ship operations. If you want to make a difference, call Corporate. 

PS - I am not defending Regent in this case but the T&C covers them against almost anything and for all we know, the hotel situation might be cleared up shortly. Only Corporate knows.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Picardad: thanks for telling me who to discuss this matter with. Please provide me with a phone number or an email address, and I will use that. And I hope the hotel and transfer situation is cleared up soon. And I repeat, T&C can relieve a line of contract liability, but cannot relieve a line of criminal liability for false advertising and fraud. To support my evidence of these crimes, I point to the fact that Regent is still advertising hotels and transfers on its web site for these cruises today — a number of weeks after we here learned it was a no go. What would you say. Is this fact that Regent is STILL advertising these cruises with “free hotel and transfers, concierge and above’”? Do you think this is criminal or not. And if not, why not?

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Picardad: thanks for telling me who to discuss this matter with. Please provide me with a phone number or an email address, and I will use that. And I hope the hotel and transfer situation is cleared up soon. And I repeat, T&C can relieve a line of contract liability, but cannot relieve a line of criminal liability for false advertising and fraud. To support my evidence of these crimes, I point to the fact that Regent is still advertising hotels and transfers on its web site for these cruises today — a number of weeks after we here learned it was a no go. What would you say. Is this fact that Regent is STILL advertising these cruises with “free hotel and transfers, concierge and above’”? Do you think this is criminal or not. And if not, why.

How to reach a person at Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Main: (954) 776-6123

Customer Service: (844) 473-4368

Toll Free: 800-285-1835

GUESTRELATIONS@RSSC.COM

I asked a few cruise lines how they deal with changes to ports, etc. The answer is always the same. The contract says "best efforts" and/or "not responsible for 3rd party services" plus it allows them to substitute/refund/offer OBC if needed. These contracts overwrite whatever they advertise...or rather whatever they advertise is not a contract. Once you put down money on a cruise, (consideration/money is what makes the contract official), you are willing party to the contract. Until you put down money, there is no contract. The FTC is the governing body for false advertising (which is a misdemeanor, not a felony) and you can direct complaints there.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Well, sir, I have been on Regent cruises that missed ports. Always for a good reason, so ‘no problem. And of course false advertising is a misdemeanor and not a felony. Under Federal law. But do you know what it is here in Colorado? It is a misdemeanor but requiring restitution. So I know that I am not going to book a Regent cruise out of Reykjavik any time in the near future, nor out of Barcelona or out of Anchorage. I am happy that you posted the T&Cs in print I could actually read!  I don’t think state laws (which apply as Regent has online booking in all states) are going to give Regent all the protection from non-delivery of advertised services that it expects. I hope that it continues to deliver what it says it will.

Otherwise, we’ll either seek a better cruise line. If there is none, we’ll just stay home in our SW Rocky Mountain home. We’ll drive around to the many national parks around here. We don’t need to take a cruise if it is misrepresented. Actually, we knew cruises were going  to go down hill.  That’s why we moved to the mountains and 12 years ago. 

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, DaveA said:

From the Flybus site FAQs:

Where does the Flybus stop?

The main stop is BSÍ Bus Terminal, in the centre of Reykjavik. Onward transfers are available for Flybus+ passengers from BSÍ Bus Terminal to selected hotels, guesthouses and designated bus stops. The Flybus driver will ask you to board a smaller bus for these hotel transfers.

I contacted Flybus to get clarification, because it's not clear on their website about if there's a transfer or not, even though there's a dropdown to choose your hotel as the destination. Their reply:

We do not have nonstop transfers from the airport to the hotel. You need to change buses at the BSI bus terminal.

I stand corrected. Still, it's nice to have a comfortable and convenient low-cost alternative for getting into town from the distant airport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1