New Nassau cruise port

kskelley40

Does anyone know if they offer golf carts or other transportation from the ship to the main area?  Some in our FB group have mobility issues and will need a ride.  Thanks in advance for any information.

• 3 months later...

We went to Nassau during our Disney Magic cruise in May 2024.  

My husband and I had been there several times before, but it must have been a long time ago because I'd forgotten how loonnngggg a walk it was from the docked ship to the gate into town.   And I didn't remember if there was such a long walk through the shopping area inside the port fenced area.

I sure wish I'd done some research before we went on this cruise, it would have saved some misery for my friend.

In our other cruises to Nassau, I can't remember the trams and the tram depots between the shopping area and the docked ships.  If they were there we didn't notice them and didn't ask about them.  On this cruise, I don't remember hearing or seeing anything about them, either.   

We had a ship-booked excursion at Nassau, so we didn't think about getting back to the ship at the end of the day out.  The excursion drops people off at the shopping area of the port.  You have to get yourself back from the port gate, through the shopping, to the ship.   At the end of the day, end of a tiring excursion, or on a hot day, it can be difficult to walk back to your ship.  That is how we found ourselves at the end of our outing.   Our friend who has back issues tried to walk back to the ship but had to give up half-way there.   I did not know about the trams or the tram stops (like bus stops).  I learned about them, though!  I left her, my husband and the two children with us on a bench in order to walk back to our ship and see about getting a wheelchair.  That is when a couple of kind gentlemen doing transportation at the dock told me about the trams and how to use them.   One of the gentlemen driving a tram helped me get back to my friends and husband and helped her get on the tram.  My hubby and the children walked back to the ship so others who needed to ride back to their ships could have the seats.   

Well, for anyone that's never noticed or never heard about the port TRAM system at the dock area,   There are covered seating areas where trams stop and pick up or drop off people who need rides from places along the pier to the docked ships.

The day we were in Nassau there were five ships docked.  Ours was near the end of the pier, so a VERY long walk walk back to the ship.

Sorry about the long post, but I want to give others a heads up about getting back to ship more easily and safely.   Nassau's a beautiful port and the nice people there have thought of the comfort of her visitors, but visitors need to be aware this convenience exists.   Don't know how or why I didn't notice it before. 

Just $2 does the trick. Where you're docked depends on how many ships in port and size of the ship. Mega ships are usually docked the furthest out (at least a half mile walk). But three weeks ago we were on the Symphony (and the only ship there that day), and docked in a closet slip

• Like 1

Thanks for the details mets123! 😎   

I had no idea about the distance or price.

I gave the tram driver a generous tip for the help and information he gave us. 😇

I don't remember seeing any signs at the pickup stops, or how many stops there were.   They just looked like the other benches but lots of people will be at the ones where you to catch a tram.  

There are concrete benches all along the dock with coverings for shade, help keep rain off people.  

After picking my friend up where she had to stop, the tram went to the beginning of the bench section to pick up people. Once filled, the driver asked what ships people needed to get back to, then he drove us to them.

I felt sorry for the tram driver trying to do his job.  People coming and going from the ships kept blocking the way.   Standing in the driving area, stopped to take pictures, walking.

There isn't anything written on the dock, or any signs that I could see, asking people to stay out of the space the trams drive in.  It might be better for people and the trams (and other drivers in the port), if there were directives on where to stand and walk.  

The same with the thick yellow lined area.  There is a thick yellow line along the dock edges where people are supposed to stay out of for safety reasons, but I don't think I saw it written on the ground or on a sign.  I probably just missed seeing it/them this time.   But I do remember seeing it written on previous days in ports.