Royal Caribbean Question

Posted (edited)

Just wondering if you can take a non surge protected power board on Quantum.   First time on Royal for a longer cruise and leaving from Brisbane on Friday.

Thank you in advance. 
Maurice. 

Edited by kenexx

I’m not sure about that , I think if it’s got a overload protection you can.

Just take it and declare it,they might want to test it.

Worst thing is they will give it back at the end of the cruise. I always look at the table of things they take of people.It’s usually hair dryers ,irons and things that heat up.

I can’t understand why people take rice cookers and sandwich presses on a cruise.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m not sure about that , I think if it’s got a overload protection you can.

Just take it and declare it,they might want to test it.

Worst thing is they will give it back at the end of the cruise. I always look at the table of things they take of people.It’s usually hair dryers ,irons and things that heat up.

I can’t understand why people take rice cookers and sandwich presses on a cruise.

I think the problem is when it does have overload protection.  I’d hate to have it not returned so probably not worth the risk.  

3 hours ago, colourbird said:

I found they are over cautious and will sometimes impound compliant power boards.

By RC stated rules (as quoted above by ceeceeDee) there at no compliant powerboards.

Staff at screening are not qualified electricians to determine surge protected or not, so a blanket ban is applied.

• Like 2

There are plenty of comments from members using a particular travel powerboard for years and there having no issues because it is compliant. The ones that used to be OK are now part of a blanket ban on most cruise lines. As mentioned, regardless of type, they have no way of testing for compliance or potential faults. A non-surge board that complies with Australian standards would normally be OK, but passengers are carrying boards from all over the world, with varying degrees of quality.

Most ships have a limited number of certified powerboards in the hands of stewards for those that have essential need for one. I am not sure if this applies to Quantum though.

For us, we just plug in a powerbank which gives us back-up battery power as well as 2 x USB outlets for charging our phones.

8 hours ago, mr walker said:

By RC stated rules (as quoted above by ceeceeDee) there at no compliant powerboards.

Staff at screening are not qualified electricians to determine surge protected or not, so a blanket ban is applied.

I once had a compliant powerboard kept aside for the duration of our cruise, whilst my friend on the same cruise with an identical powerboard was able to use his the whole time! Depends on the officer who checks your bags.