Transport between Lucca and LaSpezia

Softball20

On day two of an overnight in LaSpezia in June we are heading to Lucca.  We are fine to take the trains, but the times for the return trip are not great. We would have to leave Lucca on a 3:30 train to get back by 5:07 and then a 30 minute walk back to the ship.  While our ship doesn't leave until 7:00, it still seems to be cutting it a bit close.  We could leave on an earlier train, but it doesn't seem to give us a decent about of time there.   Can anyone suggest a company/driver to take us back?  

• Like 1

The 3:30 (15:30) train from Lucca connects at Viareggio to the 3:58 (15:58), which arrives to La Spezia Centrale at 16:49 (4:49 pm).

The train before that which makes sense (there are a couple of really long rides, which only gain you 25 minutes earlier arrival to La Spezia) is the 2:30 (14:30) that arrives at 3:50 (15:50) after a change at Viareggio.  This is a little more expensive because the Viareggio to La Spezia segment is a Frecce.

Driving doesn't save you much time (about 70-80 minutes by car, vs. 80 by train) but it has the benefit of leaving you at the cruise terminal, avoiding that one and a quarter mile walk from La Spezia Centrale. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick reply. I had looked on the Trenitalia site at the various options.  I also figure that once we get back to the station in La Spezia that we will need to walk back as I'm thinking that taxis may not want to do such a short trip.  I'm fine with the walk - I prefer it - I'm just thinking of a back up in case the train is delayed.  

We will go early in the morning; I just want to be able to maximize time there to make it worth while.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Softball20 said:

On day two of an overnight in LaSpezia in June we are heading to Lucca

Or maybe consider swapping your day 1 plans and go to Lucca that day instead of on day 2. 

Doing that you could return to he ship as late as you like.

That's a great idea!  However, we have very good friends who will be on a land trip at the same time, and they have their day long private excursion in CT on the first day, so we are planning on meeting up with them during the day.  Otherwise, that definitely would have been worth considering. 

14 hours ago, Softball20 said:

Otherwise, that definitely would have been worth considering. 

you will need a longer day for CT than you will for Lucca, charming though Lucca is. Unfortunately while cruising is a great way to get brief visits to new places, sightseeing time in each is often too short.

• Like 1