Any experience if 1 person in cabin has to cancel

bobolz

I’m curious of anyone has ever experienced a situation where 1 of the passengers (double occupancy) on a cruise and flight ticket has to cancel due to illness or other covered reason, but the other passenger in the room/flight decides to take the trip? Has anyone purchased  air, cruise and  insurance through SS and had this situation occur?

If so, would you be willing  to share your experience OR if there is anyone who would know what would happen in regards to reimbursement for the person who can’t travel as well as any concerns,actions  or inconvenience that the couple would experience if they wanted to make this change to their booking. The couple has already paid in full and is already less than 60 days from embarkation. 

thanks in advance 

Posted (edited)

I have had this happen, but no flights were included.  The ship doesn’t mind if only one person goes, but there won’t be any reduction of the fare, or partial refund.  You can also bring a different person in place of one of the original passengers.  Of course you have to notify the company prior to boarding.  However, you cannot swap both guests for two different people.  One of the original booked passengers must be in the cabin.

They will need to claim for un-used air fares through their travel insurance, being so close to departure.  The airline would charge a cancellation fee if one flight is cancelled, so there might be a bit of a refund there.  Again, claim on travel insurance.

I claimed through my credit card insurance (Allianz). I never buy insurance from the cruise line.

Edited by Port Power
Insurance info

4 hours ago, Port Power said:

You can also bring a different person in place of one of the original passengers.  Of course you have to notify the company prior to boarding.

Yes.  Since the final passenger manifest must be nailed down before sailing, just showing up at port with a sub pax creates major complications and may cause boarding denial.

On 3/7/2024 at 8:25 AM, Port Power said:

I have had this happen, but no flights were included.  The ship doesn’t mind if only one person goes, but there won’t be any reduction of the fare, or partial refund.  You can also bring a different person in place of one of the original passengers.  Of course you have to notify the company prior to boarding.  However, you cannot swap both guests for two different people.  One of the original booked passengers must be in the cabin.

They will need to claim for un-used air fares through their travel insurance, being so close to departure.  The airline would charge a cancellation fee if one flight is cancelled, so there might be a bit of a refund there.  Again, claim on travel insurance.

I claimed through my credit card insurance (Allianz). I never buy insurance from the cruise line.

Thanks port power for the response. So you are saying that the insurance company will not reimburse you for the ‘cancelled’ passenger even if it is for a covered reason, so it sounds like you are better off finding a replacement for that person. Is that because the price of the room is the same if there is 1 or 2 people (Unless there is a single supplement available on that particular cruise?) I just assumed cruise line insurance covers the cost of each person, I guess that is not the case.

you say airfare was not involved in your situation, meaning you didn’t get it through the cruise line, or did you just not require air for that cruise? I’m a little concerned how that will work changing the ticket by either removing the cancelled passenger off the ticket or replacing them with a new person.  

thanks again for your response 

@bobolz You need to check the fine print of your insurance (and the insurance for the other person, if it's not the same policy).   The cruise line won't do jack for you.   However, the insurance should cover the other person, if they had to cancel for a covered reason.   My insurance would cover if I had to pay a single supplement because a previously planned person was no longer able to go for a "covered reason".      However, if you bought insurance from the cruise line, this could be a very different story.   I think it depends on what your expectations are in this situation.  If you don't need a refund for the other person, then you should be in good shape because the cruise line just wants to be paid.   It becomes more complex if the other guy wants a refund due to cancellation for a covered reason and you want to go without paying for a second person - then you'd better have insurance to cover the single supplement or find yourself a person who will go in the other guy's spot.    All of this depends on which insurance you and the other guy got and which cruise line you are going on.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bobolz said:

Thanks port power for the response. So you are saying that the insurance company will not reimburse you for the ‘cancelled’ passenger even if it is for a covered reason, so it sounds like you are better off finding a replacement for that person. Is that because the price of the room is the same if there is 1 or 2 people (Unless there is a single supplement available on that particular cruise?) I just assumed cruise line insurance covers the cost of each person, I guess that is not the case.

you say airfare was not involved in your situation, meaning you didn’t get it through the cruise line, or did you just not require air for that cruise? I’m a little concerned how that will work changing the ticket by either removing the cancelled passenger off the ticket or replacing them with a new person.  

thanks again for your response 

I agree, you need to check your travel insurance.  They may well reimburse the fare of one person.  The cruise company will not reimburse you, not just because it is inside the cancellation period, but cruising solo would be the same price as two people at that stage.  I travel solo these days and thoroughly enjoy myself on Silversea ships, so don’t think you have to bring another person.

I booked my flights independently, so travel insurance paid out when the airline wouldn’t.  Other airlines will refund in certain circumstances.  If you booked flights through SS, it depends on how hard they negotiate with the airline, or your TA with SS, so probably you will need to claim on insurance.

Look up the terms and conditions for changing the passenger on your airline. Can it be done?  If so, what is the fee?

Edit:  I wasn’t thinking about your relationship to the 2nd passenger and whether you have separate travel insurance or joint.  If separate, the other person needs to claim for reimbursement for missing out on the cruise and flight.  

I was travelling with my husband, so the single policy covered us both.  Sometimes the policy covers you and who your are travelling with, no matter if related not.   Then the purchaser of the insurance lodges the claim.

Edited by Port Power
Policy details