Norwegian Prima HDMI ports

35 minutes ago, CSK71 said:

I was curious if this cruise line has TVS with access to the HDMI, I wanted to bring a game console to play some shows or movies.

My understanding is you need a universal remote (from Amazon, etc) to be able to access the menu to choose the HDMI inputs. Evidently the room remote won’t let you change inputs?

I could very well be wrong here as I have not done it, just heard about that. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

My understanding is you need a universal remote (from Amazon, etc) to be able to access the menu to choose the HDMI inputs. Evidently the room remote won’t let you change inputs?

I could very well be wrong here as I have not done it, just heard about that. 

Do you know if like the HDMI plugs are blocked off by any chance? Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CSK71 said:

Do you know if like the HDMI plugs are blocked off by any chance? Thanks for the info!

I don’t think they are blocked off, I just think you can’t access them through the menu.

I’ve just seen/heard about this in some videos. I think you can get a universal remote for like $10 or so off Amazon.

Again, I’m hardly an expert here, but that’s my understanding.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I don’t think they are blocked off, I just think you can’t access them through the menu.

I’ve just seen/heard about this in some videos. I think you can get a universal remote for like $10 or so off Amazon.

Again, I’m hardly an expert here, but that’s my understanding.

Alright thank you so much!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fredflint said:

I just unplug the cable that is plugged in and I picked up something like this, it is easier than trying to bring and use a remote.

#cough #cough 

Have you sail on the Prima or Viva, your challenge is a little different. You'll need to first establish a different connection first & override the firmware restrictions since it is essentially a HDTV running a self-booting  Linux OS designed for NCL's use. 

PXL_20231120_132721566.jpg

PXL_20231120_132652898.MP.jpg

You don't need HDMI angled adapter for the side ports ... try your luck with that universal remote to "defeat" and change the input source (Cat 5+ default cable used)  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

#cough #cough 

Have you sail on the Prima or Viva, your challenge is a little different. You'll need to first establish a different connection first & override the firmware restrictions since it is essentially a HDTV running a self-booting  Linux OS designed for NCL's use. 

PXL_20231120_132721566.jpg

PXL_20231120_132652898.MP.jpg

do you have any methods to override it? I was just thinking about plugging in my PS5 which automatically switches to the input it’s on, don’t know if it’ll work on a tv like that though. Thank you for the info!!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CSK71 said:

do you have any methods to override it? 

It's an interactive Samsung Smart TV on the Prima (last November) and I wasn't traveling to play ... however, I'm 95% sure, starting the display involved getting a signal once the self-booting mini Linux OS is up & running - unless bypassing the default input port (Ethernet) and allow it to get into "safe" mode for basic functions, like accepting HDMI or USB signal - as a display terminal.  Then, output personal content from a laptop or Chromebook ... in my case, (Sony Vaio) notebook PC running Linux / ChromeOS Flex.  Plan is to - as a fun project - use a lightweight Linux on a USB drive, see if recognized & boot to Guest or Safe mode (without installing) and go from there - cast or stream, or direct connect via HDMI from the notebook to the TV.  Not something for the average cruisers onboard ... but, since we got a # of sea days coming up and "changes" to onboard live entertainment, got offline video contents that I don't mind watching from the bigger & nicer wall-mounted display.  

Collage_2024-03-07_23_10_32.thumb.jpg.bc1d5167e3a30a8c6af2ba3f42715015.jpg

Or, maybe the simple solution is as easy as one of the many universal Samsung compatible remote sold on Amazon, no set-up or learning mode or pairing/coding, just aim & change - for a few bucks.  Not sure if we feel like packing another gadget along.  Then, one can forget trying to bypass & override, just switch & plug in the correct cable to enjoy.  

Stay tune & watch for an update from our Station Zebra in a couple of weeks for the next semi-live episode onboard 😆 😉   Alas, all these could fail for other reasons - these, like the LG and Sole brand HDTV in use lately, are hospitality TV display, not consumer grades

Always have a Plan B 😁 

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, CSK71 said:

I was curious if this cruise line has TVS with access to the HDMI, I wanted to bring a game console to play some shows or movies.

I was able to hook up my AndroidTV on the Prima. I don't remember if the box was auto detected or if I had to switch the input with a universal remote. You might need a long HDMI cable. I used a 15 or 25 footer since the power outlet was not close to the tv.

primatv.thumb.jpg.5ae1ad2ecf9d0a9aea4901c709ff9fbd.jpg

Edited by sicness4x4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sicness4x4 said:

I was able to hook up my AndroidTV on the Prima. I don't remember if the box was auto detected or if I had to switch the input with a universal remote. You might need a long HDMI cable. I used a 15 or 25 footer since the power outlet was not close to the tv.

you guys are the best thank yall for the help!!

10 hours ago, sicness4x4 said:

Does the tv have an auto input feature? I think I might have to use a universal remote sadly

On 3/7/2024 at 2:34 PM, CSK71 said:

If you really must play on it, how about connecting to a laptop.

Smaller, but so much simpler.

Good info on Android TV box ... Prima's Starlink connection is quite stable but not really fast enough to stream HD or 1080p, unless the plan is upgraded to premium plus.  I tried watching Youtube videos with our unlimited basic plan and it was "no, can't do" despite tweaking the settings and lowering the resolution to 720p.  

Doubtful that it is auto-sensing and capable of switching default input from wired network to USB, read like a long HDMI cable plus an universal remote are needed to tweak the Samsung Smart TV.  I know when connecting to Cat-6 wiring and HDMI port, nothing happened as it wasn't seeing a signal.  

• Thanks 1

the problem with HDMI ports on the prima is that NCL cancels ports all the time with little notice. there is no guarantee that they will call on HDMI at all.  it's highly dependent on the weather and, sometimes, their ability to tender.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

If you really must play on it, how about connecting to a laptop.

Smaller, but so much simpler.

Most laptops don’t have HDMI

1 hour ago, CSK71 said:

Most laptops don’t have HDMI

Some do not ... but, see that 10 years old Sony Vaio NB (Win 8 upgraded to Win 10Pro) came also with HDMI port - running Linux Ubuntu LTS these days.  Lenovo touchscreen Chromebook - 4 years old, uses HDMI (also via USB output).  Dell Optiplex 5290 12" travel NB (2017 on W11 Pro) - has HDMI and mini DisplayPort in addition to VGA output. 

Sitting under the workshop bench, HP Envy M6 16" laptop, AMD multimedia configured & retired due to touchscreen issues, spare parts repurposed.  Lenovo W11 Pro touchscreen laptop (from 2020) with Intel Optaine M.2 SSD, you guess it - HDMI.  Shop before you buy, research and plan accordingly ... avoid Best Buy/Walmart/BJ/Costco specials, pre-owned off-lease 2 years old laptops often are real charms (business "class" vs. consumer grade components).  

For simplicity on a cruise, I wouldn't pack game consoles ... I don't think they get along interactively with any laptop, including ones with HDMI output (2 way or interactive mode, not too sure).  If you aren't flying, maybe pack one of the newer micro-monitors, not the 7" or 10" ones - this one on Amazon is 15.6" and very compact, inexpensive - have a look at the specs

https://www.amazon.com/HONGO-Portable-Monitors-Computer-External/dp/B0BZ4GXCC7/ref=sxin_15_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.d4fdc453-1595-4f7b-ba6a-eb2ac554591f%3Aamzn1.sym.d4fdc453-1595-4f7b-ba6a-eb2ac554591f&crid=27O5CJ4Y9YS4O&cv_ct_cx=micro%2Bmonitors&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.hN_UfXoi5-qqfioqjiu7YeeH2BtNk76uZILVKmpg9QxkVaO4sXZSEcsjnE2K5e-glJUw-G0_Onpm8gwjWkFATQ.iDPiJee9zjlVwzh1AvaETgjOuuy8xmY7-qwVk8tMvQM&dib_tag=se&keywords=micro%2Bmonitors&pd_rd_i=B0BZ4GXCC7&pd_rd_r=13c706d3-abb2-47cd-a1ee-207d1d3597a2&pd_rd_w=rtEdi&pd_rd_wg=TcB5l&pf_rd_p=d4fdc453-1595-4f7b-ba6a-eb2ac554591f&pf_rd_r=K6XVTFH4HWP9BFZ1QAGB&qid=1710035796&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=micro%2Bmonitors%2Caps%2C94&sr=1-2-364cf978-ce2a-480a-9bb0-bdb96faa0f61-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1

Very affordable or spend a little more for brand names.  Easy to add up bubble wraps to protect it as carry-on for embarkation ... Have fun ! 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Some do not ... but, see that 10 years old Sony Vaio NB (Win 8 upgraded to Win 10Pro) came also with HDMI port - running Linux Ubuntu LTS these days.  Lenovo touchscreen Chromebook - 4 years old, uses HDMI (also via USB output).  Dell Optiplex 5290 12" travel NB (2017 on W11 Pro) - has HDMI and mini DisplayPort in addition to VGA output. 

Sitting under the workshop bench, HP Envy M6 16" laptop, AMD multimedia configured & retired due to touchscreen issues, spare parts repurposed.  Lenovo W11 Pro touchscreen laptop (from 2020) with Intel Optaine M.2 SSD, you guess it - HDMI.  Shop before you buy, research and plan accordingly ... avoid Best Buy/Walmart/BJ/Costco specials, pre-owned off-lease 2 years old laptops often are real charms (business "class" vs. consumer grade components).  

For simplicity on a cruise, I wouldn't pack game consoles ... I don't think they get along interactively with any laptop, including ones with HDMI output (2 way or interactive mode, not too sure).  If you aren't flying, maybe pack one of the newer micro-monitors, not the 7" or 10" ones - this one on Amazon is 15.6" and very compact, inexpensive - have a look at the specs

https://www.amazon.com/HONGO-Portable-Monitors-Computer-External/dp/B0BZ4GXCC7/ref=sxin_15_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.d4fdc453-1595-4f7b-ba6a-eb2ac554591f%3Aamzn1.sym.d4fdc453-1595-4f7b-ba6a-eb2ac554591f&crid=27O5CJ4Y9YS4O&cv_ct_cx=micro%2Bmonitors&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.hN_UfXoi5-qqfioqjiu7YeeH2BtNk76uZILVKmpg9QxkVaO4sXZSEcsjnE2K5e-glJUw-G0_Onpm8gwjWkFATQ.iDPiJee9zjlVwzh1AvaETgjOuuy8xmY7-qwVk8tMvQM&dib_tag=se&keywords=micro%2Bmonitors&pd_rd_i=B0BZ4GXCC7&pd_rd_r=13c706d3-abb2-47cd-a1ee-207d1d3597a2&pd_rd_w=rtEdi&pd_rd_wg=TcB5l&pf_rd_p=d4fdc453-1595-4f7b-ba6a-eb2ac554591f&pf_rd_r=K6XVTFH4HWP9BFZ1QAGB&qid=1710035796&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=micro%2Bmonitors%2Caps%2C94&sr=1-2-364cf978-ce2a-480a-9bb0-bdb96faa0f61-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1

Very affordable or spend a little more for brand names.  Easy to add up bubble wraps to protect it as carry-on for embarkation ... Have fun ! 

Thank you for the suggestions!