Sydney to Auckland Jan 2025

Questions for the experts please. HAL Westerdam

1) on previous cruises smoking was permitted on the Seaview deck. Is this still allowed?

2) We dock early in Auckland. We can either fly home to Vancouver at 8:30 pm that same day, checking in 3 hours prior, or stay a night in Auckland giving us a fair amount of time to explore. Would option 1 work but where do we store our luggage? I don't fancy killing time for hours in the airport.

3) If you think overnight is a better option what decent hotel would you recommend? And any must sees? 

Thank you all.

26 minutes ago, dianeh said:

1) on previous cruises smoking was permitted on the Seaview deck. Is this still allowed?

2) We dock early in Auckland. We can either fly home to Vancouver at 8:30 pm that same day, checking in 3 hours prior, or stay a night in Auckland giving us a fair amount of time to explore. Would option 1 work but where do we store our luggage? I don't fancy killing time for hours in the airport.

3) If you think overnight is a better option what decent hotel would you recommend? And any must sees? 

Thank you all.

You've come a long way; you may as well stay the extra day.  Lots to see in AKL.  I'd definitely recommend Kelly Tarlton's which is a Antarctic Seaworld type experience.  We were there last year and also spent a half day at the Auckland Museum which was really good. 

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which was new and very comfortable.  The Voco is right next door is you want something a bit more upmarket.  Both are only a 15 minute walk from the ship.

5 hours ago, dianeh said:

Thank you all.

1) Just off Noordam and smoking was permitted on starboard side aft on the lido deck.

2) i noticed a sign for luggage storage at Queens Wharf 

RX005161.thumb.JPG.96a33bf8126741e8bd2a996dbcf26b86.JPG

I have also read of "The Luggage Hotel " on Princes Wharf. 

3) I have stayed pre-cruise at M Social hotel directly opposite Princes Wharf. 

• Like 1

If you have time you may want to stay a few days in Auckland. Like others have said your spent a lot of time on a long haul flight, and a fair chunk of money to get there. Spend some time while you're there. Our down under trip is much different than yours, but I can tell you we are booked at the Adina Apartment Hotel Auckland Britomart. When we planned a previous trip which was cancelled we booked the Sebel Viaduct. There are some apartment hotels right on Princes wharf as well as the Hilton. Best of luck with your plans. I hope you can give yourself enough time to justify those long flights just to get there and back.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would also stay that extra night in Auckland. It's a lovely city on a beautiful bay. Lots to explore. I recommend the short ferry ride to Devonport, a pretty little village on the north side of Auckland harbour, or for a longer ferry ride, do a tour around Waiheke Island and some wine tasting.

I have also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, which is a good mid range choice, very modern, usual good breakfast included, and right in the centre of Auckland, close to shops and restaurants.

Edited by cruiser3775

There are lots to do in and around Auckland, so I also recommend a few days.  For Lord of the Rings fans, a day trip to Hobbiton is a necessity.

We stayed at the JW Marriott, which is a 15 minute walk from the cruise ship.  It's up a fairly steep hill, but it felt like anywhere you went in Auckland was up a steep hill in both directions.