Transfer from Mayflower terminal to Ocean terminal in Southampton

My husband and I will be disembarking from the Island Princess on July 26 at Southampton's Mayflower terminal and boarding the Regal that same day at the Ocean terminal.  How easy is it to get from one terminal to the other?  I assume walking won't be possible and I don't count on the cruise line to offer any type of assistance or transfer, so will a cab driver be willing to take us that short distance from one terminal to the other?  Obviously, we'll have our luggage.  Or is there some type of port transportation between terminals?

Posted (edited)

They’re about 2 miles apart and there is no scheduled transport between the two so a cab is your only option unless you fancy a 30-40 minute walk through the fairly grim docks.

Cab drivers should be fine with that - it’s further than both the train and bus stations.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2024 at 1:22 PM, pompeii said:

My husband and I will be disembarking from the Island Princess on July 26 at Southampton's Mayflower terminal and boarding the Regal that same day at the Ocean terminal.  How easy is it to get from one terminal to the other?  I assume walking won't be possible and I don't count on the cruise line to offer any type of assistance or transfer, so will a cab driver be willing to take us that short distance from one terminal to the other?  Obviously, we'll have our luggage.  Or is there some type of port transportation between terminals?

I’ll be doing the same!

• Like 1

In England, taxis available on spec. at cruise terminals and at taxi ranks or hailed in the street are licensed as "Hackney Carriages", and drivers are obliged to accept passengers for any destination within the borough.

So even if you wanted to go only a couple of hundred yards from Mayflower to Horizon they would take you.

But there's a minimum fare, plus time/distance charges so the driver doesn't lose out - they're regulated & metered so the two miles from Mayflower to Ocean will cost you about £8.50 including a £1 docks surcharge.

https://www.southampton.gov.uk/media/03dd4axz/2023-table-of-fares.pdf

A pre-booked Private Hire taxi eg Uber wouldn't be interested in your little hop, but If you wanted to go to, say, Heathrow airport a metered Hackney Carriage taxi would cost a fortune - you should pre-book a Private Hire taxi at a pre-agreed price.

But for Mayflower to Ocean a taxi from the rank makes absolute sense

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1