Athens National Archeological Museum

sasandy

I am thinking about taking a Carnival excursion to the Acropolis and National Archeological Museum. If anyone has done this in the last couple years, do they let you roam on your own or does the tour guide make you stay with them? There are several things I want to see and some I do not want to see so I am curious if I will have freedom to go where I want. Also, is there time for lunch anywhere?

11 hours ago, sasandy said:

I am thinking about taking a Carnival excursion to the Acropolis and National Archeological Museum. If anyone has done this in the last couple years, do they let you roam on your own or does the tour guide make you stay with them? There are several things I want to see and some I do not want to see so I am curious if I will have freedom to go where I want. Also, is there time for lunch anywhere?

If this is the tour you're thinking of:

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/piraeus-athens/acropolis--national-archaeological-museum-823045

It doesn't mention anything about lunch in the description, which would be a key takeaway that it is not part of the tour. And seeing both the Acropolis and the NAM in 5 hours would be tight, so there is likely not time for getting lunch on your own. 

Most tours of the NAM (I have been on one through Princess and one through a specialty cruise line) involve having the guide show the group a few of the most famous "highlights", then providing some free time to look around on your own. But again, don't count on having a ton of time.

If these are the two main sites you're interested in, it may be a better experience to do them on your own vs. taking a tour.

Thank you, it is always nice to have information from someone who has been there. I have researched a few other options....

Using taxis and audio tours like Rick Steves

Public transportation such as the bus, tram or metro (seems confusing)

Private tour is too expensive I think and I just need transportation

Hop on hop off I refuse to do. Too many bad stories.

Is it easy or difficult to get a taxi at the port, acropolis, and NAM?

4 hours ago, sasandy said:

Thank you, it is always nice to have information from someone who has been there. I have researched a few other options....

Using taxis and audio tours like Rick Steves

Public transportation such as the bus, tram or metro (seems confusing)

Private tour is too expensive I think and I just need transportation

Hop on hop off I refuse to do. Too many bad stories.

Is it easy or difficult to get a taxi at the port, acropolis, and NAM?

There will be taxis at the port.  You may have to wait if there are too many people waiting, but they keep coming.  There will be taxis at the exits of the Acropolis.  When you come out of the NAM, cross the street and flag down a taxi to go back in the "right" direction. 

Buy your tickets for the Acropolis on the official website. You can buy your ticket to NAM right at the museum. No need to prebook.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sasandy said:

I am curious if I will have freedom to go where I want. Also, is there time for lunch anywhere?

The National Archaeolgical Museum offers an incredible selection of exhibits and anyone with a serious interest could spend a few days in there.(seriously)  Most visitors will spend perhaps 2 or 3 hours  There was an indoor/outdoor cafe so you could have lunch or a snack there  if you wanted.

If you can manage public transport or a taxi, you could visit both sights of the tour on your own, remembering it is essential to  pre-book entry tickets to the Acropolis first.  And by visiting The Nat A. museum independently, you would get to choose which galleries and exhibits were of  most interest to you personally rather than be taken to the ones the guide has been instructed to visit.

We really dislike group tours of museums, and the situation is even worse in a large museum like the one in Athens.  Professional guides are working with a schedule which only gives them enough time to choose certain attractions within the museum.  These may, or may not be what you want to see.   Athens is relativley easy to do on one's own with a little homework.  You can pre-purchase timed entry tickets to the Acropolis (and you should also visit the nearby Acropolis Museum).  You might later want to grab a taxi or take the longish walk over to the large Archeological Museum, where one could easily spend an entire day.

Even private guides may need some direction at a museum.  DW and I once hired a private guide to walk us (and one other) through the Hermitage.  This guide had previously been a guide at that musuem but had quit to freelance (and make more money).  He walked us through the facility for about 3 hours and it was an excellent experience.  As we were finishing, DW asked our guide if there were any Impressionist Paintings at the Hermitage and he answered that there was a large room full of that kind of art, but most folks did not come to the Hermitage for that kind of art.  He took us upstairs to see the collection (which was pretty good, but the works were not in the best condition).  Since DW and I are both big fans of the Impressionists, we both still talk about that particular collection and the poor condition of many works (due to sun damage from a skylight in that room).

Hank

• Like 1