Vegan/Vegetarian Diet

Posted (edited)

Hi,

New here. 😀

I am primarily vegan but willing to be a little flexible on vacation. However, I will not eat anything that is not at least vegetarian.

Does anyone know if I will be okay on the NCL Escape? I do not plan on using the specialty dining. Just the main dining room and any other complimentary dining.

Thank you! 

Edited by London_James

We sailed on Getaway in October last year, and they had a separate veggie/vegan menu you could ask for. They were quite samey, but it was nice to have some different options. Don't know if they're doing this across the fleet, but worth an ask.

They generally have at least one veggie option on the main menu, if not a couple. However, if you're struggling, you can always ask at dinner to see the menus for the next day to see if there is anything suitable. If there isn't, you can make a pre-order via the maitre d, and they will either adapt something to make it vegan or veggie, or you can ask for something else entirely.

The buffet always has veggie options, especially the section that has curries in it. 

You should be absolutely fine if you're able to eat veggie rather than vegan, and I suspect with my tips above you'll be able to eat a lot of vegan dishes too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not the same ship, but should be similar fleet-wide, here's a recent previous thread (just entered vegan or vegetarian in the helpful search box) with similar discussion

You might find more threads by using the search.

• Like 1

I sailed on the Escape in October, 2023. A friend of mine is vegan and she received wonderful attention from the manager/waitstaff of the Savor restaurant. From what I understand, she spoke with the manager (Julie) at lunch on embarkation day and ate in Savor for almost all of her meals. I was mega-impressed by the consideration she was given and she said the food was excellent.

• Like 3

I researched this before my recent cruise on the Getaway since my son had shifted to a vegetarian diet

(sometimes pescatarian) since our last cruise on NCL. 

Here is some info I found helpful:
Check out this blog post from profcruise:

https://profcruise.com/complete-guide-to-eating-vegan-or-vegetarian-on-ncl/

And this CC thread:

Since my son is 10 and a rather picky vegetarian (i.e., will try new things, but doesn’t actually like a lot of complex vegetarian cuisine) we didn’t arrange anything special with the dining staff. However at every single served meal the wait staff begin by asking about food allergies and requirements, and were very open to adapting dishes as much as possible - I pretty much got a yes to every request to hold this, sub that, etc.

We really enjoyed the vegetarian Indian offerings from the buffet. There was also a small section of the lunch & dinner buffet labeled as vegetarian. They offered rotating vegetarian spreads (hummus - very good!, baba ganoush, muhammara, etc). There were also grilled veggie salads with varying dressings, some grain salads - I really enjoyed one with barley and dried cranberries, it didn’t look like much but was really delicious. We also tried a roasted tomato soup that was really tasty. It was on the MDR menu occasionally, but can also be ordered for lunch & dinner from the kids menu. There is also a vegetarian grilled avocado taco on the kids menu. My son liked the soup but not the tacos. But the tacos are already vegan or can easily be adapted as vegan without the cilantro lime sauce (which may already be vegan, I didn’t ask). Adults can order from the kids menu, it is not limited, just featured for kids.

While the fast casual burger offerings do not include a standard veggie burger option, I’m pretty sure you can pre-order one through the dining manager. They’ll also make you one to order at “the grill” section of the buffet - only takes a couple of minutes. It is a veggie & grain patty rather than a faux meat version. I thought it was tasty, my son wasn’t a huge fan. But he’d be happy to “eat vegetarian” by attempting to eat his weight in French fries, so not a reliable arbiter!

• Like 1

We found the veggie burgers to be sufficient for protein, plenty of vegetarian choices in the buffet.  We found slightly better choices on Royal Caribbean, as every dinner has at least one vegan starter, main course and dessert.  But our 20 days on Sky fed us well enough without getting boring.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, weisla said:

The original poster of the above-referenced topic is currently on Breakaway. She always does a great job highlighting the yummy options she receives...and what doesn't really jive with her. I'd highly recommend you check it out and follow along:

• Like 1

If you want to see some recent ish menus, I've just written up our cruise on Norwegian Dawn from August last year (see my signature for how to access it). It has photos of all the menus from that cruise.

There wasn't a separate veggie/vegan menu on there, but it will give you an idea of menus in the main dining room, and there are also photos of the speciality restaurants too.

At some point I'll be writing up our Getaway cruise from October, which did have the additional veggie/vegan menus. I am quite behind in write ups though for various reasons, so might be a while!