Asian Food Station near Aquavit Bar

CCWineLover

2 hours ago, mariners said:

CCWineLover, did I miss seeing this station on our December trans-Atlantic on the Neptune, or was it closed?  If so, is it only open for certain cruises?  Thanks!

No you didn't.  It was there, but sadly, they closed it - rolled down the metal door.  I asked and they said it had to be repaired and parts were waiting in Ft Lauder ahead of the World Cruise.  Bummer!   They did compensate a little bit by serving up shumai occasionally at the regular World Cafe buffet stations on either side - often at breakfast, and having some Kung Pao dish there as well, but it wasn't the same!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, miami mama said:

CDN Polar did tellus ask you to inform them or the ship directly about specific products?

We were told many moons ago now that if we wanted specific products or ingredients on board that we should email tellus at least 60 days before sailing.  This gives them time to get the request to the ship before sailing.  

If you are only asking the ship when you arrive, the stores could be full and not being restocked for days.

At the time that we were told this we had a very restrictive diet, and it was the Viking reservation desk - a tenured person - that told us to email tellus.

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2024 at 7:37 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Best to inform Viking at least 30 days before you board, so they can be properly stocked to meet your needs.

Gluten-free can be handled on MVJ. Go to Onboard Experience/Preferences and choose Dietary. The stuff I can't eat is not listed on the form. I tell them when I board; I go to the maitre'd and ask them to add it to my profile.

https://www.viking.com/myjourney/onboard-experience/preferences/allergies

Those with food allergies get special handling at dinner.  Breakfast and lunch we have to handle on our own -- I get one of the crew to walk me down the buffet line at lunch to point out the dishes I need to avoid. Some dishes on the buffet are labeled.  For dinner in The Restaurant and Manfredi's, we get to choose our meals in advance. The next evening's menu will be in your hands by bedtime. Sometimes they will hand it to you at dinner and sometimes they will leave it at your cabin (different ships have different ways of handling it). Your choices must be turned in by 10 am; follow instructions on the menu. Chef's Table checks the profiles of all diners and plans accordingly.

This is great information, thank you so much. I have already marked MVJ, but I was curious about individual menus. 

10 hours ago, Podgieree said:

This is great information, thank you so much. I have already marked MVJ, but I was curious about individual menus. 

When we cruised in the past with food restrictions on Ocean, we met with what I will call the "Dietary Manager" the day we boarded the ship. 

Each night we were left the menus for the next day and we were instructed to circle what we were interested in and they would create for us a dish that would meet our requirements.

Others on here have had both good and not so good luck with dietary concerns, but we have never had a problem.  Options may be limited, but in our opinion Viking do a great job in dealing with food allergies, intolerances, and restrictions, but we always meet with the Dietary Manager on embarkation day.

The one venue that food restrictions are more difficult to deal with is the Chef's Table because this is a specially curated menu that is a "tasting menu" and it changes every three days.  Some food restrictions make it very difficult to accommodate.  For instance, if you do not want to eat fish/shellfish, then there may be one menu that focuses on fish.  Hard to create substitutions for all dishes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

When we cruised in the past with food restrictions on Ocean, we met with what I will call the "Dietary Manager" the day we boarded the ship. 

Each night we were left the menus for the next day and we were instructed to circle what we were interested in and they would create for us a dish that would meet our requirements.

That's a very good way to approach a customer's special needs.  Thanks for sharing the info

• Like 1