Itinerary changes?

The World Navigator sailing of March 15-29 was supposed to go to South Georgia - did that change? On marine traffic ship locator sites the ship is shown enroute from the Antarctic Peninsula (not on the original itinerary) to West Point, Falklands. It was supposed to be in South Georgia yesterday. Anyone know info about this? We can also use this topic more generally for any Atlas itinerary change - it's good to keep up to date!

Thanks for the info, I was hoping some landings might be ok. Do you know when the March 15 sailing passengers were informed? I heard that they were told South Georgia was still in the itinerary, as of March 5 at least. But I guess they got a bonus of the Antarctic Peninsula at least. 

16 minutes ago, earth117 said:

Thanks for the info, I was hoping some landings might be ok. Do you know when the March 15 sailing passengers were informed? I heard that they were told South Georgia was still in the itinerary, as of March 5 at least. But I guess they got a bonus of the Antarctic Peninsula at least. 

That site response table has been up for several months.

Some landings are still possible provided there are no behavioural signs of the flu at the permitted sites.

It is not good. Very dramatic headline. But still, not good at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/mar/14/explorer-ernest-shackleton-grave-antarctica-south-georgia-bird-flu-dead-seals-aoe

To avoid avian flu spread our expedition team last year was very strict with constant reminders to not kneel down, never put anything down, ensure your gloves are secure so don't drop a glove taking them off and on for photos, etc.  And always, always stick to the paths they have laid out and don't stray (for the penguins safety), yet see fresh paths forged along side established ones as people are too impatient and have to pass others. Very annoying. And not following these rules can endanger this fragile environment. Hope it gets under control.

5 minutes ago, Ziggy99 said:

Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza if you want to be a pedant.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I thought 'bird flu' had something to do with "Bird Lives!" and the founder of bebop!