Best shore excursion companies - RC Explorer of the Seas Aug 31-Sept 7 - Croatia, Athens, Santorini

CruisinMyra

Hi.  We are new to cruising.  I was told by seasoned cruisers that shore excursions through the ship can be expensive and it might be best to book with a travel company directly.  Can anyone advise on what companies they have used or give any other advice about excursions. There is so much out there I'm overwhelmed!  Thank you.

19 minutes ago, CruisinMyra said:

Can anyone advise on what companies they have used or give any other advice about excursions.

You might see what others are doing on your sailing in the Roll Call thread. Also, the ports of call section may have what you are looking for.

1 hour ago, CruisinMyra said:

Hi.  We are new to cruising.  I was told by seasoned cruisers that shore excursions through the ship can be expensive and it might be best to book with a travel company directly.  Can anyone advise on what companies they have used or give any other advice about excursions. There is so much out there I'm overwhelmed!  Thank you.

Given that you're new to cruising I would recommend you opt for a ship-sponsored excursion in Santorini.

This is firstly because Santorini is a tender port which means you can't just walk off the ship onto the dock; the ship will be at anchor and you will have to get on a little boat (tender) to go ashore. Guests on ship-sponsored excursions will be taken by staff to the tender at the required time.

Guests doing independent excursions have to try and calculate what time this process will actually get them ashore so they don't get there too late and miss their excursion. In Santorini this is further complicated by the fact that, once you get ashore, you have to get a cable car up to the top of the cliff.

I think you could find it all very confusing and stressful and a ship-sponsored excursion in this particular port would make for a much more enjoyable experience.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, CruisinMyra said:

Can anyone advise on what companies they have used or give any other advice about excursions

You mention CROATIA, but don't give the names of the ports.

We have never yet had to book an excursion with any company for a port call in Croatia, and we have visited a good number of them, some several times,  in most you dock or tender into a central location from where they are easily explored independently and at low cost.  You only need do some pre-trip homework to plan a day which suits your own interests.

Edited by edinburgher