7 ships in Santorini!

enna77

This is my once in a lifetime trip to the Mediterranean and to Greece. I am so excited to see Santorini but there’s 7 ships in port that day. How is that even possible? 

I thought about doing a catamaran excursion but it’s in October (2025) and I think it won’t be warm enough to enjoy the water. 

Any tips to navigate Santorini on an over packed day? 

Posted (edited)

I would seriously consider doing a ship excursion so that you don't have to deal with having to get up the cable car to Fira which may have a very long line depending on when the various ships arrive. On a ship excursion you will be tendered to the Athinios ferry port (rather than the old port which has the cable car but no road access), which has road access for you to get on a bus to go wherever your excursion goes. You will almost certainly have to deal with the cable car to go down to the old port (unless your ship has an excursion that takes you by bus back to the Athinios port) to get on a tender back to the ship or you can walk down the stairs. There can be a very long line to get the cable car down so leave plenty of time. Visiting Oia with the beautiful blue domes is very popular when at Santorini.

Edited by PurpleTraveller

As much as I dislike cruise line excursions (we consider them in a class with going to the dentist) this is one of times when we agree with the poster about taking a cruise line excursion.  But ideally you would want one of the new type excursion that will also get you back to the ship without having to deal with the cable car.  Most excursions will eventually end in Fira from where you need to eventually deal with the cable car queue (to get down to the tenders) or be willing to deal with downhill walk.

As to a boat tour, the temperatures should be OK.  But for a first time visit to Santorini, you should want to visit both Oia and Fira (the two main towns).  Doing a tour that includes both those towns will get you tendered ashore to the ferry port where you board your tour bus.  If the tour ends in Fira, and you have to deal with the cable car, well that is going to be a problem on a day when there are a lot of ships.  That being said, we have been to Santorini about a dozen times, always returned via the cable car, and somehow survived.  We will again be in Santorini, next month, with 4-5 ships and are actually thinking about a DIY plan (we know the island quite well) that would have us dealing with that cable car.  But since its early in the season and will not be too hot, we have been considering the idea of walking down to the cable car (which means dodging some donkey poo).   I should mention that although that walk is all downhill, it does involve a lot of stone steps (which can be slippery) and is not something appropriate for folks with any kind of mobility limitations.

Hank

I have visited Santorini twice - once was in mid-August with 6 ships onboard, including a completely full Odyssey of the Seas. My best tip is to have an early start, know how your ship's tenders will work in Santorini as soon as you board the ship, and to catch the bus to Oia straight away, rather than sightsee in Fira and then go to the bus station for Oia.

If you're interested to read my experience of surviving that "6-ships in Santorini" day 😂 - here's my blog post! 

https://diycruiseports.com/diy-port-guides/santorini-cruise-port-diy-shore-excursion-guide