Rumor of truth?

Lady Hop

We currently have a balcony cabin on deck 10 booked for the Valor. But since we are taking the kids were thinking about getting 2 cabins instead. Are the rooms on the lower floors more likely to feel the ocean. I have never been under deck 9 and was told that the lower floors feel the rocking more. Is this true.

Opposite actually, the higher you go the more you will feel the rocking, think about a stick anchored at a pivot point with side to side movement allowed .. move the top 1', how far does it move right above the pivot?

Personally I prefer deck 10.

The previous motion statements don't take into account that the ship isn't sitting on a firm surface swaying back and forth. You could picture holding a horizontal stick in the middle and alternately lifting and lowering each end; you will have the most motion forward and aft but once you're near the center, motion will even out.

From a 'seasick' standpoint, your ears will receive more perceptible motion in the very center of rotation and less actual movement to compensate for perception. That does not mean you'll actually get seasick by being in the center of the boat, but you'll definately be more likely to experience vertigo there if you're prone to vertigo. To understand the ear's balancing act, pace off a 20 foot diameter circle and walk around the circle, then stand in the center and turn at the same rate that you walked around the circle; you will feel the effects moreso when standing at the epicenter than when walking around the circumference.

Again, I prefer deck 10 as near midship as possible. On Valor I believe that would be 1067, 1066.

Paul..

thanks for that great explanation!! I was worried as well about being up higher this cruise than my previous one.

I have never had someone explain it like that! Now maybe I will get more sleep not wondering how "seasick" or dizzy I might feel!:D

The previous motion statements don't take into account that the ship isn't sitting on a firm surface swaying back and forth. You could picture holding a horizontal stick in the middle and alternately lifting and lowering each end; you will have the most motion forward and aft but once you're near the center, motion will even out.

Great that accounts for the pitch, but it is roll that gets my kids sick...

...and the higher you are the more roll you will experience regardless of fore and aft.

All dependent upon the ocean and ship heading etc, etc.

From a 'seasick' standpoint, your ears will receive more perceptible motion in the very center of rotation and less actual movement to compensate for perception. That does not mean you'll actually get seasick by being in the center of the boat, but you'll definately be more likely to experience vertigo there if you're prone to vertigo. To understand the ear's balancing act, pace off a 20 foot diameter circle and walk around the circle, then stand in the center and turn at the same rate that you walked around the circle; you will feel the effects moreso when standing at the epicenter than when walking around the circumference.

Again, I prefer deck 10 as near midship as possible. On Valor I believe that would be 1067, 1066.

An oversimplification of ship motion to a single degree of freedom which isn't accurate. The direction (and for that matter speed) of the ship relative to the waves also plays a role. There are actually 6 degrees of freedom for a ship - surge, sway, heave, roll, pitch, and yaw.

An oversimplification of ship motion to a single degree of freedom which isn't accurate. The direction (and for that matter speed) of the ship relative to the waves also plays a role. There are actually 6 degrees of freedom for a ship - surge, sway, heave, roll, pitch, and yaw.

and all of the trained mariners will tell you that motion is felt less the lower and more toward the center of the ship.

(zydeco I am agreeing with you even if it doesn't come out that way, sorry)

and all of the trained mariners will tell you that motion is felt less the lower and more toward the center of the ship.

(zydeco I am agreeing with you even if it doesn't come out that way, sorry)

Granted, more motion is 'felt,' that doesn't mean the motion causes the requisite inner ear motion that actually causes seasickness. Again, think of the spinning in a circle vs walking in a circle and you'll have to agree. I am also speaking of average ship motion and not accelerated rolling during heavy seas. Even during heavy seas, you will experience LESS inner ear induced vertigo by being in areas with more movement; more movement means less spinning and less direction changes. This is covered in flight physiology courses; been there done that too.

From a medical standpoint, I am 100% accurate in the effects. From an engineering standpoint, I have that covered too; I happen to have been one (Engineer) a few years ago and yes I was formally educated as such. ;)

One thing to keep in mind about salty mariners is that they have their 'sea legs' which means their ears are accustomed to frequent motion whereas we landlubbers don't have that benefit. Our ears are used to slow and measured movements.

From a medical standpoint, I am 100% accurate in the effects. From an engineering standpoint, I have that covered too; I happen to have been one (Engineer) a few years ago and yes I was formally educated as such. ;)

As opposed to "informally educated"... The brightest doctors and engineers will never claim to be 100% accurate, they are much smarter than that!

And what you are saying sounds like someone with just barely enough information to mislead:eek: - I will stay with the info in the peer reviewed publications if that is ok with you...:)

As opposed to "informally educated"... The brightest doctors and engineers will never claim to be 100% accurate, they are much smarter than that!

And what you are saying sounds like someone with just barely enough information to mislead:eek: - I will stay with the info in the peer reviewed publications if that is ok with you...:)

mrdood,

They say 'ignorance is bliss.' You go ahead and be happy.

By the way, what peer reviewed articles have you been citing? I wasn't aware I was speaking against a published and accepted theory.

You are right about doctors, but engineers will often go on the record as '100% sure.'

This is covered in flight physiology courses; been there done that too.

Seems to me that yaw, more than pitch or roll would be responsible for airsickness.

The OP was asking about feeling the motion, not the results thereof, and dead center bottom would minimize the motion feeling. As for the effects thereof, being able to see the water helps the brain to rationalize that yes, we are moving even if everything else around us seems to be stationary.

You can spin in a circle for a long time, if you keep your eyes focused on a point of reference moving at the same rate.

Seems to me that yaw, more than pitch or roll would be responsible for airsickness.

The OP was asking about feeling the motion, not the results thereof, and dead center bottom would minimize the motion feeling. As for the effects thereof, being able to see the water helps the brain to rationalize that yes, we are moving even if everything else around us seems to be stationary.

You can spin in a circle for a long time, if you keep your eyes focused on a point of reference moving at the same rate.

zydecocruiser,

Personally the zero gravity was what usually affected me on rough flights. I could handle the movement pretty well due to years of practice, but my cardiac sphinxter didn't like my stomach contents smacking into it during zero gravity. :eek:

There definately is more movement at higher locations as well as forward and aft. I have only been aboard a ship one time during rough seas (We were sailing around a hurricane. Hate to have seen what it was like to go through it) and I was seasick until I went to the very front of the ship where there was more movement but less changing of directions.

The OP asked if they would feel more 'rocking' on lower decks. I believe they will feel more 'rocking' even though they will feel less actual movement.

zydecocruiser,

Personally the zero gravity was what usually affected me on rough flights. I could handle the movement pretty well due to years of practice, but my cardiac sphinxter didn't like my stomach contents smacking into it during zero gravity. :eek:

There definately is more movement at higher locations as well as forward and aft. I have only been aboard a ship one time during rough seas (We were sailing around a hurricane. Hate to have seen what it was like to go through it) and I was seasick until I went to the very front of the ship where there was more movement but less changing of directions.

The OP asked if they would feel more 'rocking' on lower decks. I believe they will feel more 'rocking' even though they will feel less actual movement.

At this point it seems to be semantics, but if they were in the basement and the attic, and placed a ball bearing on the deck of each, I believe there would be enough difference in the motion of the bearing to not make a measurement necessary. The bearing in the attic would rack up far more frequent flier miles. That's what I'm talking about.

At this point it seems to be semantics, but if they were in the basement and the attic, and placed a ball bearing on the deck of each, I believe there would be enough difference in the motion of the bearing to not make a measurement necessary. The bearing in the attic would rack up far more frequent flier miles. That's what I'm talking about.

zydecocruiser,

We need a Californian to figure this one out! ;)

I would agree that the attic bearing would cover more miles and I believe the first floor bearing would change directions more. I don't know what the basement bearing would do though; look for a hole to crawl into I would bet! Cha Chi has to be on the other side. ;) :D

Earthquakes were covered in Physical Geology. I can answer as to how mounains are formed by tectonic movement, but I can't say as I know how attic ball bearings roll for 100% certainty, but I bet your right! :) Perhaps mrdood will enlighten us?

In Physics class, we shot a ball bearing at a monkey dropping from a tree and managed to hit it each time as long as we aimed at the monkey and the monkey dropped at the same time we shot. Other than that, I don't know that I have any formal education on ball bearings as mrdood is sure to point out.

zydecocruiser,

I would agree that the attic bearing would cover more miles and I believe the first floor bearing would change directions more. I don't know what the basement bearing would do though; look for a hole to crawl into I would bet! Cha Chi has to be on the other side. ;) :D

Earthquakes were covered in Physical Geology. I can answer as to how mounains are formed by tectonic movement, but I can't say as I know how attic ball bearings roll for 100% certainty, but I bet your right! :) Perhaps mrdood will enlighten us?

In Physics class, we shot a ball bearing at a monkey dropping from a tree and managed to hit it each time as long as we aimed at the monkey and the monkey dropped at the same time we shot. Other than that, I don't know that I have any formal education on ball bearings as mrdood is sure to point out.

Oh for goodness sake, enough already!! It is an accepted "fact" by experienced sea travellers, that the lower decks, center of the ship, are the place to be if you are prone to seasickness. And if you are, the "science" of why is immaterial, you just want to feel better.

Oh for goodness sake, enough already!! It is an accepted "fact" by experienced sea travellers, that the lower decks, center of the ship, are the place to be if you are prone to seasickness. And if you are, the "science" of why is immaterial, you just want to feel better.

Seachase20,

Accepted facts tend to change with the passing of time. Experienced sea travelers used to fear sailing off the end of the sea on a flat earth.

I'm sorry if you don't like the discussion. I do not pretend to post for your entertainment nor do I wish to misinform. I shared what I believed to be the case and others disagreed. I hold no ill will toward those who disagree and I have been proven wrong before so I'm not worried about that either.

In this case, opinions vary. Some are based on fact and some are based on accepted facts. Personally I'd love to see and read the peer reviewed articles. I have read the peer reviewed articles in terms of biological effect on the body and that is what I'm basing my conclusions on.

When taking a boat ride or cruise, motion sickness is more common when the person is below deck without access to a view of the water. It is best to remain on deck when possible and focus on the horizon. Staterooms or cabins should be located at the place where the ship’s motion is least perceptible, such as near the middle of the ship on a lower deck.

W. Steven Pray, Ph.D., R.Ph.

zydecocruiser,

Perhaps substitute a pendulum for the ball bearings?

In my understanding, motion sickness is caused when various senses are in conlict over whether or not we are moving. It is probable that not all people react the same so motion sickness answer may well be it depends. Once our brains learn the pattern, we have some immunity.

Be that as it may, I believe a drunk in the attic might have a more difficult time trying to walk in an approximate straight line (greater standard deviation) than one on the water floor. I am assuming that they are in an approximate vertical position and unbounded by walls.

There do seem to be conflicting reports:

By ship, request a cabin in the forward or middle of the ship, or on the upper deck.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-motion-sickness/HQ01099

Personally, I like to feel the motion of the ocean. Or not. As long as I am on the ship.

Granted, more motion is 'felt,' that doesn't mean the motion causes the requisite inner ear motion that actually causes seasickness. Again, think of the spinning in a circle vs walking in a circle and you'll have to agree. I am also speaking of average ship motion and not accelerated rolling during heavy seas. Even during heavy seas, you will experience LESS inner ear induced vertigo by being in areas with more movement; more movement means less spinning and less direction changes. This is covered in flight physiology courses; been there done that too.From a medical standpoint, I am 100% accurate in the effects

OK... so now, I'm going out on a limb. (You said I needed to get out more ;) )

Would this reasoning, then, mean that having balcony cabins (since they are on the outermost edges of the ship) would also reduce the inner ear induced vertigo?

Just curious :p

I have the perfect plan to settle this discussion. All parties who feel their point of view is correct should chip in and purchase me two rooms on a cruise ship. I will spend equal amounts of time in each cabin and provide a report to settle the disagreement. Just let me know what I need to pack.

Personally, I like to feel the motion of the ocean. Or not. As long as I am on the ship.

zydecocruiser,

Me too. After our 'hurricane sail around,' we went to Kennedy Space Center to watch the shuttle launch (The aborted, go figure) and the earthquakes were terrible. I grabbed a guy on the sidewalk when the first one hit asking him if he could feel it too; he said 'you just got off a ship didn't you?' I'm like 'Yeah, but so?' He assured me that was normal. I had to look into it further before I believed him. Man that was a wild feeling. :D

It's more a matter of our ears learning the routine moreso than our brains. After the fluid sloshes around enough, the ears will become accustomed to the sensation and less likely to cause problems. We'll then have our sea legs.

Yes, the drunk in the attic will sway more. The pendulum in the attic will also sway more.

MikeG,

Thank you. I have four boxes of transderm scop ready just in case.

Some of the remedies the pharmacist discounted have recently been shown to have equal effect while others have been shown to have no effect.

Tropicalgal,

Absolutely! Balcony cabins are a must for physical well being. :D You'll need to visit your balcony frequently to acclimate to atmospheric pressure which will reduce inner ear pressure. ;)

cathyoo,

We'll have to keep an eye on the hurricane forecasts and do a last minute cruise so the experiment will be most effective! Keep your bags packed!

Archived