Carnival Corporation Orders 5th Excel-Class Ship

23 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

I understand your argument.  Looking at 2025, New Orleans consistently has higher fares than Orlando and Miami.  If published fares told the entire story, it makes no sense Carnival is adding capacity to PC, LB, etc. but not NO.  Post-pandemic, fares have soared at many of the secondary ports and I doubt it's pure demand driven.  You can maximize revenues by selling a product at an inflated price and highly restricting discounts to select groups. 

Macro 101, how many ships are sailing from PC, LB, Galveston, et al and how many from NO?  Then add other cruise lines to the same question.  There are other factors without a doubt.  I have been told that Galveston is Carnivals best home port.   I got that info from someone who should know the answer.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Macro 101, how many ships are sailing from PC, LB, Galveston, et al and how many from NO?  Then add other cruise lines to the same question.  There are other factors without a doubt.  I have been told that Galveston is Carnivals best home port.   I got that info from someone who should know the answer.

Galveston has quickly become their top homeport. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they got a second Excel class ship for shorter cruises in 2027/2028. The only problem is the itineraries can be so boring. But that’s the way of the industry now, pivoting more towards the ship as the destination and the ports as an afterthought. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yup, my point is that things aren't always the way they appear.  Just taking this a step further... for winter 2026, if we segregate the 3/4 day local cruises from Long Beach from the rest of the itineraries, the average fares from Long Beach (for simplicity, I used the published fares for two adults) are about $20 less per night for the 3/4 day local cruises whereas the other cruises average a slightly higher rate.  Those 3/4 days have some of the least miles traveled on them and are heavy on alcohol sales.  

47 minutes ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

Galveston has quickly become their top homeport. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they got a second Excel class ship for shorter cruises in 2027/2028. The only problem is the itineraries can be so boring. But that’s the way of the industry now, pivoting more towards the ship as the destination and the ports as an afterthought. 

I'd bet PC & Miami generate more revenue than Galveston but that could change really soon.  PC, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, Galveston and Los Angeles/Long Beach/San Diego is pretty much where most of the growth capacity has went post-pandemic.